Author Topic: One for a good friend  (Read 17313 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: One for a good friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 11:30:41 am »
That's a mighty fine lookin' bow, Paul.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 11:54:37 am »
Very fine job. Too bad about the heat. Montana had 11 days of over a 100 in July.  Relative humidity was only 6%. Got your bow all set up for August Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

DBernier

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06:44 pm »
Super job Paul. This guy must be a great friend. Love that bow.

Dick

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 02:26:58 pm »
Cowboy:  I'm new to all this, so could I ask a few questions?

The Osage that your friend sent you from Oklahoma, was it from a large log?  From the Boise d' arc here in Oklahoma on my place that I've observed it looks more like a really big shrub.  Nothing at all like the picture I saw on this BB of a guy trying to lift a log of Osage that looked more like a Giant Redwood, (but yellow).  I never dreamed it grew that big.  I guess from his neck of the woods they didn't cut them all down for fence posts. 

Secondly, you mentioned your "stove pipe" stave oven with heat lamp.  Can you describe how you made that?

As always, thanks in advance.  By the way, nice bow.  Your friend should be honored. 

Also, I hear you brother on the heat.  When it comes to weather, OK/TX seems to suffer together.  Hang in there, Dove season is right around the corner.  Then we still sweat, but at least we're hunting.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:08 pm »
Thanks again guys! yeah Dick he is a very close friend, he taught me how to build those tanks bout fifteen years ago (hmm, not sure if I appreciate that or not) ;D - well it pays the bills.

Otoe: That tree was probably about six inches in diameter, he lives close to the red around Kingston - they grow big there too but most are so knarled that you wouldn't want to waste your time. I got some good advice - when your out cuttin bow wood, be picky. That oven I mentioned is simple - mine is 8" stove pipe long enough to accept your staves and be able to cover the top. Have a light fixture at the bottom with a 100 watt flood light - you want your staves (I would say sixteen inches min) from the light, cause it can scorch them. Have it standing up straight with the light shining up, I'm kinda new to this too but I flipped my stave's every day and weighed them - I reckon you could wait two or three days dunno. When they stop losing weight they should be dry - I checked the temp in there one day and it was about 140. You'll want your staves to be at near bow deminsions to speed things up. Hope this helps.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Roger

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 11:31:38 am »
Saawwweeeet!  That is as good a tiller as i've seen. I can't imagine what you could do with a clear piece...LOL

Great bow Paul!

R

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:15:19 am »
That is outstanding! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15:59 pm »
Hey there Sparky, how's it goin man? Too bad we weren't able to get together yet - It'll happen eventually I reckon. Thanks Jawge! I've got four more sage staves drying in the pipe right now, spent a day splittin and skinnin two more logs and workin down a hick. The family and neighbors around here are quite certain that I'm possesed ;D, don't care I'm havin too much fun.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 05:39:40 pm »
Beautiful tiller! Love all the knots...

Dan

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 08:35:50 am »
Thatīs an awesome bow Cowboy!! 8)...
I love these cool little knots also.... ;)...
Cheers an keep up that COOL job!!...
Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 09:09:07 am »
It is indeed a very nice bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 08:22:33 pm »
Thanks guys! I'm a little surprised at all the positive response, it did turn out OK for such a quicky job :)

brokennock

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 02:37:28 am »
Really nice. Very clean looking, Looks like good honest wood, nice knots, no backings cluttering things up, just nice smooth wood. Love it one of the final 3 I'm tryin to decide between to get my b.o.t.m. vote.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:06 am »
Thanks brokennock! Don't know why this one's getting so much attention, I just threw it together one day so I could hurry and give it to a friend the next day. I had some trouble with the string wanting to slip off the nocks while bracing - had to make another string with smaller loops. Think I will put some kind of tip overlay on all my bows from now on. Havin a great time here ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 07:04:42 am »
cowboy,can't you sleep. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good