Author Topic: Helping some new guys get started  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Helping some new guys get started
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:37 pm »
I had cut some oregon ash back in august, and steelslinger just got it his first bow finished out of it.  It dryed surprisingly fast without twist or checking, and proved to be a very good bow wood.  I know all the arguments for board bows, but they just don't do it for me, and I wouldn't want to start someone on a lumberyard piece.  If you can get more yew, you could trade some of what you have for seasoned staves. I think you should still take them out to cut there own staves, but find a source of seasoned staves to get them started now.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:31 am »
Better yet take them out to cut there own wood because for me that is allot of the fun of building bows harvesting wood and searching for that non exsisting perfect stave. ;D I never have had problems with Vine Maple breaking but I have had it fret on me due to bad tiller. I agree the Hazelnut might be a better choice to start as its usually easy too find a straight piece :D Look forward to an update when things get going!

Josh

Agreed getting to know what your looking for is half the fun.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful input! I met with the guys last night and we talked over our options. Gordon has graciously offered a couple of seasoned hazelnut staves for them to use, they were pretty stoked to hear that. Thanks Gordon! I tried to encourage them to just get started on the staves but they really like the idea of buying a cheapish board from the wood store and not feeling too much pressure about messing up. So they want to take a stab at a board bow first and then give the hazlenut a shot after a little experience. Because I think that finding trees and cutting staves is an important part of the process I suggested that we hunt down some suitable wood to replace what Gordon contributed.

So all that being said, i dont have alot of experience with board bows. I'm planning on using Jawge's site as a reference. Do any of you have suggestions about what to do/not do with beginners and board bows. I was leaning toward hickory as a wood choice but I'm not married to the idea. I'm thinking a long, bend through the handle bow with no narrowed handle area would be the best and simplest design to start with. Let me know if I'm on the right track...

Offline vabowyer

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:39 pm »
I usually start people with a red oak board since it is a cheap way to make mistakes.  also makes getting the basics of tillering a little easier. The end results will be a great bow and then you can move them on to a real stave with bumbs and twists.

Jamie