Author Topic: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?  (Read 30660 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
Quit picking on me Pat!

I suppose since I have a set of sockets and a rachet I must be a mechanic then? SWEET!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »
Only if you can properly use them, Pearlie!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Survivecrunch

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »
I would like to believe that once you make a functioning bow like jtbluefeather's father said, then you are technically a bowyer, then there is the the experience,skill, and quality of bows you produce that show the degree of a bowyer you are. In my opinion one never stops learning in life and if you take these lessons and apply them wisely you will never stop growing in you mastery in the art of bowyery.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »
I will call myself a bowyer, when someone I consider a bowyer calls me that. Until that time, I am a bow maker.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »
it's alot like Martial Arts, people think that when your a black belt you know it all, but it's really just a belt and the learning continues as long as you let it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »
I have to agree with Pat, it's a confidence thing.  Prior to 2009, I posted here as "Brokestick" because that described my first half dozen attempts.  When the forums were migrated and I lost my profile, I chose a different name since I wasn't breaking them anymore, but I still wouldn't call myself a bowyer.  I began thinking of myself as a bowyer when I no longer had to consult the books and look for layouts and dimensions to design a bow.  That's when I knew that the basic principles were ingrained in my memory and I had the confidence to come up with my own designs. 
The apprentice-journeyman-master progression was not available to most of us in the modern world of bowyery.  This forum has grown tremendously since I first came upon it nine years ago and there are a lot more opportunities for that to occur today.  I learned everything from the magazine, the TBBs and this forum and never had the opportunity to study directly under someone with far greater experience.  It's also my belief, that in the medeival bowyer's guild, you would have spent your life becoming the master of the one particular style of bow, made from the particular wood, that was endemic to your particular time and place.  You would have learned THE WAY to make A BOW because there was only one right way to make a bow.  Those were still the prevailing thoughts when Paul Comstock published "The Bent Stick".
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline seabass

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »
i guess i am a bowyer,just not a good one yet.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »
it's alot like Martial Arts, people think that when your a black belt you know it all, but it's really just a belt and the learning continues as long as you let it, Bub

As a black belt I can certainly agree with this.... Once you get that rank you are just starting to get past the beginner stage on your journey... Unfortunately to many see it as an end point and not a beginning...

Jon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »
"It's also my belief, that in the medeival bowyer's guild, you would have spent your life becoming the master of the one particular style of bow, made from the particular wood, that was endemic to your particular time and place."

I really think someone could go from virgin to so-called master bowyer when it comes to longbows/warbows in maybe 2 or 3 days. Maybe 4 or 5 bows. It just isn't that complicated...  (...of course, this is just my opinion guys.) Laminates get a bit more tricky I guess. The hardest thing is learning to be satisfied with your own abilities and creations. (This is how I have come to think anyhow, but I don't wanna talk to big to back up nothin, I have only been bending wood for about 4 years where half the people on here have been bowyer-ing for 10 times that, LOL. Ever other day I have to ask a newbie question so keep that in mind yall.) Tillering should really only take like 4 or 5 bows to get down. Heat/steam correcting ain't no science. You wanna talk about about a master, try building a guitar, with the inlay rosette made from maybe 50 - 100 layers of wood, tuning the top to the back piece, measuring the top to the exact thickness to create the desired resonance. Those guys are amazing. I could never do that. I can barely make a stick shoot another stick.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:42:38 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »
The minute my wife walks out the door...   :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »
The minute my wife walks out the door...   :)

LOL!!! Best answer so far.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?  When you know someone is listening and don't mind getting the immediate response, "Can you make me one then?  ;D"

I call myself a bowyer only when I know no one is listening. >:D

Edit:  Hmmm... when my wife is around I have to call myself a bowyer so that I can sound like I'm not wasting my time.  heheh
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline vabowyer

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:41 pm »
I think it is when it gets into you blood.  For me shortly after the first bow acutally worked.  Since then I can see a piece of wood without thinking of what I can make of it.

Jamie

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »
I've had people describe me as an artist when referring to my bows.  I ALWAYS correct them.  I can teach pert' near any able bodied chimpanzee to make decent shooting bows.  But there isn't an artist alive (or dead for that matter) that can teach me to paint a picture that would move someone on a deep emotional level. 

I'm an artisan, not an artist. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 01:04:46 am »
I've had people describe me as an artist when referring to my bows.  I ALWAYS correct them.  I can teach pert' near any able bodied chimpanzee to make decent shooting bows.  But there isn't an artist alive (or dead for that matter) that can teach me to paint a picture that would move someone on a deep emotional level. 

I'm an artisan, not an artist.

That's a good distinction to make JW.  There are so few artisans left that people don't know the difference anymore.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit