Author Topic: pressure flaking patterns?  (Read 11313 times)

Offline iowabow

pressure flaking patterns?
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:44 am »
I have been studying patterns in pressure flaking and thought I would share info and ask others to share what they have tried.  After you learn to make a point and pressure flake the next question is "what does this technique do?" So here is a photo (photo to be added after I charge my phone) of my point I worked on yesterday.  I ran a set of flakes then used the delta for the platform for the other side it created a snake like pattern on the edge that was very sharp. Then I pushed the deltas off to make straight. Notice the broken tip, I dropped it and hit the edge of a marble end table and broke the tip off and took a chip out of the table (Annette dosent know yet so don't tell her). 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline TRACY

Re: pressure flaking patterns?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:41:27 pm »
Ironically, I just re-read Waldorf and he states that oblique flaking is the best for persons wanting hunt with their points.

As for the table, deny deny deny >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »
Mister, you are in a world of hurt about that table. Can you bribe your son to take the blame? ::)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:55:00 pm »
I might be able to spin it to the wall

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »
Nice pattern on that one John! I've watched vids read books and tried some of that collateral, oblique, edge to edge, diagonal, progressive stuff, hahaha. hell, i don't even remember what half that stuff means anymore ;D. Sure is nice when you pull it off though :) :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:58 am »
Well the search for flake patterns is continuing.   I read that I have to have a near perfect preform before I start and then I need to make a series of flakes evenly spaced out.  Well that is what I tried but the preform was not perfect so this is what happened.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:17:16 pm »
And the problem is ?  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline flungonin

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:41:46 am »
yeow what Sparrow said : ???

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 02:28:48 am »
You guys are too nice.  I came close on the right side but the left kinda got lost because the center was a little noisy and changed the direction of the flakes as they moved toward the center. I learned that when you start the pass on other edge but same side you need to be careful not to over shoot your flakes. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
... you need to be careful not to over shoot your flakes.

LOL, you're worried about overshooting and messing up a beautiful flake pattern.  Last overshoot I messed up a point with took off a third of the opposite edge. :-[ :-[  I guess it's all relative to where we are as knappers. :)  I'm loving the way you think through your knapping and show it to everybody in real time.  It is very helpful, even if sometimes it strikes me funny. :D

Keep on knapping! 

And, happy Easter. :)
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:47:07 am »
I'd love to know what the heck you guys are talking about.  I'd like to clean up my points a bit but in the end my goal is 1) pointy 2)sharpish 3) not ugly.

Some of this lingo is like stepping into Nasa's control room and getting orders to do something which sounds exciting but you remember that you are only there to change the coffee filters out.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:30:57 am »
 I know this is a little obsessive but I want to try to control the pattern of flakes so that I can match them collateral or oblique or v them up or down. I figured the first step is to make a real good platform and create consistent flake removal. Once I have consistency then I should be able control direction.  Below is a new platform I am working on.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:43 am »
My goal now is to make sure all small high spot are gone without creating any hinges

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47:42 am »
Also up to this point all work has been percussion so I think I will move to pressure.  Those of you who are good at this please ring in if I am headed down a deadend. I am going to shape things up I hope in the process. I see from the photo that the tip is going to need to move to center.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
By the way this is rock that Scott and I picked up at "Secret Creek"