Author Topic: tryin to find a teacher  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Niltsiar

tryin to find a teacher
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
I just got out of the army and i live in Utah I have shot recurve all my life and i think it is time to build my own I need a teacher I have never been a real good book learner if some one would be willing to help that would be awsome thank you much
Primitives for them....they were necessities, to us.....they are heritage

Offline bushboy

Re: tryin to find a teacher
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »
You are surrounded by teachers on this forum,be it some know more than other s ,I count myself very low on the list!the best teacher is yourself in my mind,hands on is the way to in lou of a real 3d teacher!so get some wood and start making and breaking!bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »
Gey some osage elm or Aash will gO from there!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:54 pm »
You in the mood to visit the Black Hills of South Dakota?  When you arms are tired of scraping wood we'll go chase turkeys in the hills!

Or else buy a copy of The Bowyers Bible off this website and grab a chunk of wood!  We'll all answer questions as fast as you can type. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:17 pm »
I can understand your desire to have a person right there. You might check the local archery clubs & business. Someone might know of someone local. It is getting more and more popular. Start  hitting any local archery shoots and ask questions. There will be someone around that make equipment. Just remember there are many ways of doing things. Sometimes struggling on your own (with some online help) will develop your own technique.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:28 am »
where are you at in Utah, might be someone fairlly close that's on this site, if your good with wood you'll be able to figure it out but someone there shure wont hurt, and thank's for your service, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Niltsiar

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:27:16 am »
i live in ogden utah and thank you all for the help

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »
Welcome!  And thanks for your service in the Army.
I stewed and simmered over the books for a decade. What put me over the top was some of the build-alongs found here and other places.  Lots of great folks with experience to answer questions.   Also lots of guys doing things without lots of shop equipment.  I use a bandsaw at a cabinet shop when I need one. Found a couple bench sanders at garage sales. Rasps, scrapers.
When that first arrow jumps off your own "stick bow"  it is a thrill. 
I have a great friend who is a experienced bowyer. He encouraged me and aswered questions, but he would not "teach" me by standing side by side-"you'll figure it out" he said.  I think he was right. It made me use my brain and hands.
Again, Welcome.  Buckle up!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
  Do you want to build a recurve if so check out TRADGANG.COM this is all long bow and recurve builders and shooters.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »
You in the mood to visit the Black Hills of South Dakota?  When you arms are tired of scraping wood we'll go chase turkeys in the hills!

Or else buy a copy of The Bowyers Bible off this website and grab a chunk of wood!  We'll all answer questions as fast as you can type.
I have seen JW's bows and he is a great guy and would be a great teacher for you.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »
Iowabow,
But the prospect is a little scary! ;)

I have seen JW's bows and he is a great guy and would be a great teacher for you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Aw, I only bit that one guy and he had it a-comin' to him!

Seriously, it ain't as hard as all that.  Read a few dozen threads in here and you will start to pick up things.  But mostly, it's the tool in your hand and the wood that will teach you....if you listen.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Niltsiar

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:43:12 am »
what do you think would be a good first type of wood to go with and what are the basic tools i will need?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 12:53:53 am »
Unfortunately, you are in a bow wood 'desert'. I would really recommend you getting in touch with businesses in your area (it is big enough to have several) that remove trees. In a city like that, people have planted many nonnative trees that can give you bow wood.
That said, you will be looking at boards and checking the auction site. Your first 'tool' might be vol 4 of the TBB. It does a good list of woods in there.
You will need something to rough out the bow. Ax, large knife, saw. a rasp of some type. I really like the Shinto saw/file that I got recently.
You can go crazy with tools like some of us or keep it very simple.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:05:21 am »
To bad you missed the Iajam we could have set you up with some great wood staves.  Stringman makes his bows with a hand axe and juat a few simple tools.  His bows are amazing! Will makes his bows with all kinds of tools and I think a bandsaw.  Building a bow could be as cheap as going to the lumber yard and buying a pine 2x4 to practice on.  Pine is not a good wood to use but it has been done.  IMO an oak board would do.  Then post a new thread and say "what do I do next" and we will all walk you through your fist bow.   All you need is a knife, file, and sandpaper, and you are read to make your first bow.  Soooo step one decide on a type of wood then ask "if I make a bow from oak what am I looking for in this type of wood to make a good bow". We will all give you our ideas and then it is up to you to select the wood that you think will work.  This family here on primitive archer will not yet you down while you are working but replies may take a day to get. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!