Author Topic: Point of The Month - Sticky  (Read 621097 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Point of The Month - Sticky
« Reply #1515 on: June 02, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »
Sounds good to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1516 on: June 02, 2017, 10:20:06 pm »
Been hanging back to avoid all this fishhook craziness.  :laugh: Glad it's a new month haha. Here is my very first try at a fishhook and my first try at a Montell.

The hook is from a hornstone flake. The Montell is from a piece of Texas rock that went to from crud to candy with about 550 degrees. Montell's are kinda weird, never rechecked my phone to see pictures of a point so many times while trying to make something before haha. Wish I had my Overstreet guide with me while making it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:31:18 pm by bowmo »

Offline 1442

« Reply #1517 on: June 03, 2017, 08:20:18 am »
good job on both of those Bowmo
did you do the hook abo?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1518 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:53 am »
Thanks 1442.

No, I had mercy on myself for my first attempt. I nibbled it out with a horseshoe nail flaker. It was going to be longer and hook back on itself more but it kept telling me it wanted to be shorter  ::)

Had fun messing with a flake that I wouldn't normally bother to chip these days. Really expected to have to try on a lot more than one flake to get one, may be making some more of these...  :laugh:

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #1519 on: June 04, 2017, 12:21:13 am »
Ok I'm gonna play along for a while. I have only been knapping for about 7 months or so. Dont have much knappable rock right around here. So mostly landscaping stones and glass some local tough rocks. Got graciously gifted some obsidian from someone on here, and found some at a rock shop on the big island. Really liking It! Here's my montell.

Offline 1442

« Reply #1520 on: June 04, 2017, 01:15:18 am »
That's a nice one Penderbender, glad your playing along.
Bowmo, I've tried a steel tip flaker on hooks but it just don't seem to work nearly as well as copper. I get stalled out or break the hook way way more with steel than with copper, so much so that I don't use steel to shape a hook at all anymore.

Stringman

« Reply #1521 on: June 04, 2017, 07:24:01 am »
Nice work pender! You gotta use what you can. Finding a good source was one of the toughest parts of knapping for me.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1522 on: June 04, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
Those are both nice bowmo.
Pender I like playtime with you. Nice job and as Scott said you have to use want you got. Really nice and great job notching.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:35:25 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1523 on: June 04, 2017, 11:18:44 am »
Pender, that point looks great. Clear glass can be kinda boring but it's a great learning material and sure is easy to come by. I use to use the bottle bottoms from things like Jager  and Sky vodka when I could find them. Fairly flat and the green and blue is more fun than clear. Took me like 8 years of knapping to figure out how to collect stone myself here in Illinois.

1442, I really didn't find the soft steel to be very aggressive and never had a stall. Just had to come up with creative ways to support the hook at the edges of my pad. The snaps that shortened it were just because it was still flat in cross section there. Helps I wasn't using a heat treated stone tho.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1524 on: June 04, 2017, 09:51:19 pm »
Here is another Montell attempt I knocked out today. Also a Dalton cuz that one got too narrow on me.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #1525 on: June 04, 2017, 10:56:25 pm »
Thanks guys! I have been lurking on this thread for a while. Figured why not join the fun. Cheers- brendan

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1526 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:03 am »
Those are really nice bowmo. I wish I would have realized you where at Marshall I would have really liked to sit down with you and make a few chips. I didn't bring many knapping tools this year because my brother really got into it now and we use the same tools.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1527 on: June 05, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Thanks bjrogg. It amazes me I still don't have all the online names and faces sorted out at the events I go to. I was chippin pretty much the whole event, and always have extra tools. Next time feel free to sit and chip.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1528 on: June 05, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »
Lookin good guys. :KN :KN
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1529 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:08 pm »
Some more work in Texas rocks.

The Georgetown Montell came from a spall that seemed more cortex than flint but I managed to coax one out it. The rootbeer got too small on me by the time I thinned it out and I just side notched it. The dark Pedernales tried so hard to turn itself into a Hardin I couldn't say no to it. The other is some more Pedernales that had a lot of orange in it but lost it all by the time I thinned it. All are raw stone.