Author Topic: Point of The Month - Sticky  (Read 620959 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Point of The Month - Sticky
« Reply #1665 on: January 02, 2022, 12:33:26 pm »
Sounds good to me Mike. I’m going to need a picture though. I’m not very good with the names.

In fact I’m sorry. I noticed I called last months a corner notch. It should have been a corner tang I think.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline M2A

« Reply #1666 on: January 02, 2022, 02:23:44 pm »
Was able to work down a flake this morning for an example. I really like the fish tail style stem with a slight concave base but they were also made with straight edges or had slight convex bases if I read this correct. Its an older style point 2000+BP so I figure they were not arrow heads but I think a smaller version would work very well used that way. Looking at this one I think a larger version would make a dandy knife. I may work this one down a bit more to try and remove a few steps I created but figured I take a couple pictures before I broke something. All in all pretty pleased with turning this one out in short time with that material.
Mike

IMG_4476 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4477 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4478 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1667 on: January 04, 2022, 08:20:02 am »
Looks great Mike.

I’m up for that style. I will try to get one done before end of the month. Been busy with paperwork lately and a couple other projects. I should be able to get er done though

Thanks for posting a point for us

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #1668 on: January 05, 2022, 01:05:16 am »
Thanks Bj. If you dont have any resource books I found a good web site that gives examples and some background of different styles...projectilepoints.net They show several examples of most points in their collected material.

Tried my luck at making a better point for some obsidian. Never worked with the stuff before. Nice stuff! Wanted to keep enough length for a knife but could see real fast it would be a bit short for that. Kept the stem and base straight. Not sure I like that variation as much. Does not look like the examples I have seen. Looks too much like what I think an Adena point should be like. Oh well, I ramble too much on things I dont know enough about lol. 2.75" in lenght, didnt measure width but I'd guess 1.5". Need to not take pictures in the shop, they never come out good. Cheers. Mike
IMG_4480 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4481 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4482 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr             

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1669 on: January 13, 2022, 06:35:50 am »
Hey Mike. I’m not forgetting about this challenge yet. I have a older calendar someone gave me. Is this the style point you described?
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1670 on: January 13, 2022, 10:11:40 am »
Bj, that looks to me like a Hardin, and a real nice one also. I made a Ashtabula a long time ago, see if I can find a pic. I have a Overstreet book but camera is giving me problems and I'm hi tech illiterate when it comes to these things. If I get it figured  out will post Overstreet pic, found a pic of the one I made a long time ago, pretty crude. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1671 on: January 13, 2022, 11:50:50 am »
It sure is a beauty ain’t it outback. I’m really poor with the history, names and regions. I always find it interesting though how many times I think. I made that style before and didn’t even know it existed. Totally by accident.

I’m hoping to finish one up here yet.

Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1672 on: January 13, 2022, 01:40:16 pm »
BJ, Hardins look so easy to make but to get that certain look on the barbs is real hard, Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1673 on: January 13, 2022, 02:32:31 pm »
I’ve been learning that Bob. I’m not even done and thinking of starting over. I think I have a completely different strategy for the next one.

Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1674 on: January 13, 2022, 02:57:53 pm »
BJ, Ashtabula usually have one barb longer than the other and one appears to be rounder than other, makes them look wonky but that how the originals looked according to Overstreet. Late Archaic to Woodland, 4000-2500B.P. NE. Ohio and Penna. Bob

Offline M2A

« Reply #1675 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:28 pm »
Nice point Bob. Better than my best. And thanks for the explanation.

Bj right or wrong, in trying this point I make a triangle preform and get it about as thin as I dare before I work on the stem otherwise it may look like....  :-K
IMG_4491 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Made several attempts over the past week or so. I spend more time on the stem to even out both sides but it still ends up asymetrical lol. After looking at the picture I think I should have narrowed the stems some more to be more like the originals. Going to post a pic of the group but think the dacite piece on the right is my best overall attempt even though the stem did not turn out as good as I wanted.I have a few more I worked down to bifaces but will leave it at this unless one of those turns out better.
Mike
IMG_4487 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4488 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4489 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr             

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1676 on: January 13, 2022, 11:25:56 pm »
M2A, great set of points, and I to like the dacite one the best. One shoulder is longer and and one barb is rounder than the other, Just like Overstreet explains it, very nicely done. Bob

Offline M2A

« Reply #1677 on: January 15, 2022, 09:43:29 am »
Thanks Bob. Always a challenge to know when to stop. "Just a couple more flakes....lol
Mike

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1678 on: January 15, 2022, 10:29:04 am »
Thanks Bob. Always a challenge to know when to stop. "Just a couple more flakes....lol
Mike

Seems like it never gets easier.

It’s always easier when you know it was before you just snapped it in two.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1679 on: January 15, 2022, 11:55:05 am »
I’m still not certain exactly what my point is supposed to look like. I started out imagining something different and switched to what I have.

It is based more off Outbacks old point and it’s a little crude to.

I’m not completely finished yet but this is what I have so far.

I could still make some changes.