Author Topic: Pair of Friction Folders (Buildalong) - Finished Pics of #2  (Read 4633 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Howdy, all.  I've been working on a pair of Nessmuk-inspired friction folders.  I thought I would share the schematics and forged/rough ground blades with ya'll.  The smaller is W1 and was forged at the historic forge at Fort Atkinson State Historical Park in Fort Calhoun, NE (see related post titled "Historic Forge").  The larger blade is 1095. 

I've not made this blade profile before, but must say I really like it.  It seems to lend itself well to what the steel naturally wants to do when forging.  At any rate, thanks for looking...critique always welcomed!  :)   (Sorry for the rough cell-phone picture) 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:16:34 pm by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Pair of Nessmuk-Inspired Friction Folders (Buildalong)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
Oooooh, another nice one. I like that one, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »
Here's an update.  Both blades have gone through the heat treating process, although I've got to draw the tangs back just a touch.  I've rough ground the larger of the two and am ready to begin sanding.  The bigger blade has some weird lighting streaks and fuzzies on it making it look like there are nicks and cracks.  Just ignore 'em!   :) 

I take the drawings I made, make a copy, and cut out the parts to use as templates.  Using double sided tape, I stick one template to the blade to get the exact placement for the pivot hole.  I stick the other template to the handle material to make cutting it to shape easy and to identify exactly where the pivot hole should be drilled.  Ignore the silly "use 1/16" pin" note.  That's wrong, but I forgot to erase it.  The smaller knife will use a 3/32" pivot pin.

Here's the parts laid out with temporary pins.  The scales are bookmatched, stabilized, and dyed figured maple.

And a very rough dry assembling to see how things are coming along.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:22 pm »
Very cool knife. I was never a knife guy until I found this site and starting seeing work from all you guys. Very inspiring.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Pair of Friction Folders (Buildalong) (#1 Finished)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
Here's the larger of the two all dolled up and sharp as snot.  I wanted to take more pictures of the process, but just didn't have the time.

The blade is etched in saltwater and slightly antiqued to give a used appearance.  The etching revealed the hardening line, which turned out nice and even (I think).  The pins are hand hammered.  The spine has been rounded over, which I thought flowed a little better.  I've left a touch of the forge remnant on the left side of the blade and just a speck of it near the tip of the right side. I got a few strange shadows/highlights on the blade/cutting edge in the last two pictures.   

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:44:37 pm by 4est Trekker »

Offline BearG

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:38 pm »
Love it
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:23:15 pm »
Man that is AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing :) you do some of the best knife work I've ever seen.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »
amazing work!
those are some seriously fine fine knives!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Pair of Friction Folders (Buildalong) - Finished Pics of #2
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:17:17 pm »
After several months on my bench, I finally got up the gumption to finish number two.  The pictures are terribly fuzzy and ill-focused, so I apologize. On the bright side, I got this one bloody already, so there's a slight stain on the bone inlay on the the left side.  I think I'll leave that for "patina."  Again, this one is saltwater etched with the same scale material as #1. 

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Pair of Friction Folders (Buildalong) - Finished Pics of #2
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »
Uh, no easy way to say this, so I'll just come out with it.  Can I have it?

Do you know how good that would look in my shooting pouch along with my flintlock?  Just something for you to think about. 

Love your work, sir, just love it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.