Author Topic: FOBS , Its all too much for me .  (Read 10530 times)

perry

FOBS , Its all too much for me .
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:35:39 am »
      Its all too much for me fella's , The compound mob and all there technology have stolen our saving grace -" SIMPLICITY " . Being somewhat distanced from the marketing wheel by distance it takes a little while for the latest gadgets to filter Downunder and I'm usually left with a self satisfied feeling that they ' just don't get it ' - Archery is meant to be a simple sport , stick and string , man utilising nature , that sort of thing

No the buggers have devised a gadget called FOB that is a round bit of plastic with 3 fins surrounded by another bit of plastic        [ moulded one piece ]  that slips over the end of there carbon arrow and replaces fletches , bloody things so simple its brilliant . Saving grace is you need a techno drop away rest to use it so it wont further water down modern traditional , Just had a thought - please dont make a soft one for shooting off the shelf . This one really bugs me - Its all too much . Leave the simple things to us thankyou . regards Perry

jamie

Re: FOBS , Its all too much for me .
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 06:16:29 am »
have ya seen the sight for instinctive shooters?  ???

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:47:16 am »
uhhhh, sight? For instinctive shooters? Please explain, but I don't think I really want to know......
 I've heard of those FOBs, they are crazy, I've seen videos of the guy who designed them, and I got the messege that he actually didn't want to keep it simple, he wanted to change from using feathers simply because they have been used for a while. Wierd.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

jamie

perry

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:10:29 pm »
     I see the DAS[instinctive?] sight as a variation of an existing tool , and am perplexed/interested enough with it that if I ever go techno recurve would give it a go . Back in the early 80's I was shooting all the technology I could buy simply because it fascinated me , still love technology just look for it in differant places ,rediscovering it actually is a great part of my primitive and traditional archery. regards Perry

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:53:35 pm »
Ahh that stuff has been arround for thousands of years.  Try taking a peice of fur and wrapping it arround the end of your arrow. Does the same thing! Its just a bit of drag in the air to keep the arrow pointed at the target. Anything like fur or somethin maybe even ... feathers! seems to work.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

perry

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:07 pm »
   I relise that fobs are just another lateral step from a primitive idea such of wraps fur and unsplit feathers and some other things being attached to the tail of arrows to create drag but wonder if they induse enough stability to steer broadheads , have any of you fella's tried this . regards Perry

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:19:21 pm »
i  am sorry but im not a complete traditional or primitve archer. i will hunt witha compound this year because my 40#longbow is insufficient.  i would like to make a 50# osage(i will be starting one shortly)maybe i can drop copounds then because the longbow is more fun.

i' ve never shot them but i think FOBs are a joke and i think the are really ugly
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:40:09 pm »
Me too! Its just another Gimmik. Shoot arrow, bust fob buy another Fob. I think they just wanted to FOB it off on us!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Beleg813

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:00:41 pm »
I really don't care for the technologically advanced bow--pretty much like I don't care for the technologically advanced lifestyle. I'm accustomed to it, and to spoiled by it in many degrees. That being said with all the technological advances there have been for archery....i.e. the scope, the balancers, the sights, the color coded ranging tabs, etc. it just makes me think, "Why not use a gun?" I mean why do people go with ALL that stuff, and then are still able to say "I bow hunt." Just bothers me. Go buy a really cool gun and kill a deer 600 yards away with your gun and brag about it. But, please don't compare the compound bow with all those gadgets to traditional "I just made my own bow out of wood from my own land, and sinew from a previous deer" No comparison in my mind.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:58 pm »
I agree whole heartedly! The reason most people I know of hunt with compound bows is that they can extend out the hunting season with them. They dont really care to, per say, bow hunt. But to just get more season in and kill a deer.  God those things are more gun than bow and should be banned as being guns durring the bow hunting season. Just think how few of the yahoos would be in the woods if "Bow Season" was actually a bow season!!!

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:21:06 pm »
while i agree very much with many of the thoughts expressed here, i need to say "don't hurt yourselves by justifying weapons are too advanced for hunting within a certain season".  anti's would love to ban compounds from bow season.  don't let them think they have hunters support. 
now i know what you are saying, don't get me wrong.  when i am hefting my flinlock and someone says i muzzleload too, while holding an inline with a scope i get very agitated.  the thing is this, we all need to support anyone who wants to hunt, no matter what they are hunting with (within reason)  -  i hunted with a compound for many moons, then went to recurve, and finally to my own crafted wood bow.  i enjoyed the transition, and the encouragement from fellas like you to switch.  i am doing my damndest to convert others. 
my point is, don't hate on others because you think you are right, they may be incapable of the skill and coordination it takes to shoot barebow.  then we would have more anti's saying bows aren't good enough to take game again.   ;)
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:55:27 pm »
Keith is right, everybody has to stick together.Doesn't mean you have to agree.I hunt everything,every season.And we have alot and long one in Fla.I have about as many guns as I do bows and a proud member of NRA.All you can do is educate and stick together.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Beleg813

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 01:56:45 pm »
Agreed. I would prefer to hunt with the traditional weapons, but hunting in general is a great thing regardless of the weapon of choice. I was just pointing out that, in my opinion, why bother with all the technological advances in archery when you can just take a small step further and hunt with a high-powered rifle/scope combo? That's just my opinion, though.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 09:24:15 pm »
Yep! New stuff on the market is just there to put money in someone elses pocket and not your own.