Author Topic: Just a squirrel ....  (Read 8239 times)

Offline lowell

Just a squirrel ....
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:19:46 pm »
would like it to be an elk but this is what I went for today.  Missed the first one, a grey, at 5 yards but got this one at 15 yards. 

First blood for this bow that I made this year for deer this fall.  It's osage, 47# @ 26" and shooting rose shoots that I have been tuning all summer.  Gave me confidence that I'll be ready for deer in a few weeks.

After getting this squirell I was watching another in a tree and a group of crows came through making a lot of noise. They seemed to be following a coyote that passed me at about 40 yards. Wish he would have been closer!! Coyote in area seemed to keep squirells in the trees for a while.

Needless to say I had a fun morning!! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Just a squirrel ....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 12:29:08 pm »
I'll say - looks like a good time. Have done some stump shooting, but have yet to take game.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »
Meat is meat ;D Got a tree rat myself yesterday. Meat in frezzer and I'm tanning the skin want to see if it will make string silencers?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:20 pm »
i love squirrel huntin. many times ive gotten bored while huntin deer and started shootin at squirrels only to find the deer watchin me hunt squirrels. :) danna get 5 of em and you could make a string :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:15:34 pm »
Squirrel hunting is the sport of kings... or not. It should be though :). More challenge and alot easier to drag outta the woods ;D. One squirrel= silencers, 2= moccasins, 3-4= bag/pouch, and 5=bow string. It's just like a carnival ;).

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:07:12 pm »
Kegan you forgot 5 = dinner ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:54:12 pm »
Lowell, it may only be a squirrel, but it is game.  I have never shot a squirrel with my bow, so thats one you have on me.  Our squirrels live in the rocks so I don't think I will be shooting many. Rocks are kind of hard on arrows.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 11:36:58 pm »
Just had him in a stir fry and it was a fine meal!!! ;)

Hope red wine is what to have with squirell cause that's all I had. ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:31:44 am »
Good shooting, Squirrels are my favorite critter to hunt. I enjoy still hunting through the woods and stalking them when they are on, or near the ground. Deer are sometimes a bonus while hunting them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:51 am »
Sound like a good hunt,them little buggers can be tough to hit.Love hunting them also
I do a lot more shooting than killing tho. ;D When I really want a mess I break out the 22.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 03:56:22 pm »
That squirrel is bigger than many of the deer I've been seeing around here.   :o  Our squirrels are half that size--maybe.  Nice job!

J. D.

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:30 am »
Good hunting, congratulstions.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

CHUCKER

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »
:)You done good. They are a small target. I think I enjoy squirrel hunting as much as deer. If you can nail that little fella @ 15 yards the deer don"t stand a chance!

makete

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:53:09 pm »
Dana, do you have many grey squirrels in your neck of the woods? We dont have many but do have a bunch of red/pine squirrels. Would love to hunt them with a 22. ;D ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:05:54 pm »
ya we have greys, have 6 in my bird feeder everyday, wife won't let me shoot em >:D

Manistique, MI