Author Topic: need help from you pros  (Read 5156 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: need help from you pros
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »
Maybe having an index will help combine all of the ideas posted so far. What I mean is that making sure that I come to full draw will develop an instinctive form so in the future it would not be necessary to have an index.  Maybe my issue is not being consistant with each draw.  So I am going to just try a piece of tape around the arrow as a temporay index to be removed  once the form is cleaned up. Also my camera will have something I see to make it possible to self evaluate. I will take a couple videos an post that as I go so you guys can help with the form if you like. Based on what I have read so far I may have a couple things going wrong.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:46:01 pm »
When My shooting goes astray it's always one thing,..Bowarm

get that bowarm rock solid and keep pushing totarwd the target even after the shot and everything will be alright  ;) ;)

To much overthinking in instintive shooting isn't good, it's supposed to be fluid and simple
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »
  YOUR RIGHTTTTTTTTTTT NOMADIC IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT IT YOUR NOT SHOOTING INSTINTIVE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline dbb

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:39 am »
To get to the point where you shoot truly instinktive you vill need to practice...a lot!
And if that training is faulty you never be  good at it.
So thinking and correcting problems and be open to advice until you feel secure will make you a better archer.
THEN you can stop thinking and just let the shaft fly  ;)

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:08 am »
Ok so it is like learning to walk, ride a bike, or tie shoes type of thing. Do it right, repeat, and it becomes an automatic process. Just like riding a bike now if I think too much about why it works  I might just drive off the road.

I know I am getting much better with practice and I seem to be improving with good form. At this point I am just trying to close my group to a very small diameter. I shot for hours in denver with a coach and never shoot outside of a paper plate size target. I just want to develop the correct form and muscles so I can do my best. The archery coach in Denver said I was not keeping my bow shoulder down and was shooting with it up. He was right and so now I am trying to relearn my bow arm. Seems when I do it right I can drop two arrows next to each other but when it goes bad it is not good with impacts 5 inches from center.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »
Finally some improvement tonight. For the past couple of days I have been working my bow arm trying to keep it down and that is becoming more natural. With the back tension already working I decided to put the index tape into  play. So here is the play. First grip light and knuckles at 45, shoulder down, draw to 3/4 and pull with back tension till index hits finger and release. It was real hard to put it altogether but I just shoot 8 arrows at 15 yards into a 3" circle. This is the best and most consistant shootin I have ever done. I am hoping that tomorrow will be as good. Thanks everyone for all of the input. It will take a lot of practice to get it down to where it feels natural.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 01:39:17 am »
Sounds good John.  Just be careful to not fixate on group shooting so much that you stop shooting at other ranges.  I really think you ought to alternate your form practice with some stump shooting so you don't lose your distance eye (and maybe you are and just not talking about it).  Shooting a really tight group is a LOT less important than putting a single arrow into  a paper plate sized kill zone when the pressure's on.  If you plan to hunt from a tree stand you need to also be practising from an elevated stand.  You do need to perfect and lock in your form, but paramount is developing your confidence to the point you're sure that arrow's gonna go where you want at whatever range you shoot.  Then when you hunt you won't need to worry about it at all.  You will shoot your deer and then realise you don't remember aiming, anchoring, form or back tension, nothing but watching the arrow drop right in to where you were looking.  It gets almost zen like.  It's very cool.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:46 am »
Thanks George
You are correct I need to do a lot more work now on realist 3d shootin with only 2 months left before deer season. I am goint get a stand to shoot out of the backyard.