Author Topic: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.  (Read 30668 times)

Offline Brock

Re: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
season opens here 15 aug....will start with my recurve but plan on pulling out my John Strunk vine maple again once it cools a little.  Do I need to use knapped heads to be considered primitive or is my vine maple with doug fir and grizzly or ribtek heads good enough?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:36 pm »
I'll be hunting with Primitive depending on where I'm at and how desperate I start getting. I have over forty glass bows and I like to hunt some of the old Classic's with the same year arrows and points. Like hunting with my black powder, too. And when I'm really after meat the 300 Wnmag comes out. I shotgun hunt with some friends around Christmas when they run dogs for deer, a Southern Tradition.

Archery season starts 60 miles south of me in Florida tomorrow morning. Nice and warm, 70% humidity and you better be wearing a Bug Tamer suit and have a couple of Thermosals. But then it will still be like that in October. our season doesn't end till mid January, the small game till March then Turkey season till the third weekend of April. And we can hunt hogs year round. So I have plenty of time to use the weapon of my choice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

youngbowyer

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »
I will be hunting "half primitive". Wooden selfbow, carbon arrows.

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:15 am »
I am definitely in for mulies and elk. Season starts in about three or four weeks. I am buzy re habilitating Pat's Elkie bow from shooting completely over big headed elk @ ridiculously close range. Must be too flat of a cast.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:58:32 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 01:41:39 am »
If I eat any venison this year it will have to be taken with primitive...didn't draw for any of the three deer tags I put in for gun season.  From the looks of it I may not even be able to draw an archery tag where I can hunt. 

Due to landowner pressure, the GF&P had 4-5 years where they put out unlimited doe tags.  Now suddenly this year they have just 3,200 tags for 1.25 million acres of Black Hills.  This is what happens when wildlife management is run by political pressure instead of good science. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:54:12 am »
I'll be deer hunting with a primitive bow, bamboo arrow but tipped Zwickeys.  I've done so for the past 2 seasons.  No deer yet.  It seems when I have a bow the deer are 60 to 200 yards out.  But, let me take firearm out and the deer are under 15 yards.  grr
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »
Yes the bugs down here are bad.....Thermacell is a must.  Plus the heat but the humidity is the worst.  I usually get out a few times then after Sep 15th I go a little more.  Can shoot does then also if you have tags.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »
I'm in. It will be my first year with primitive gear although I have bows made by others, I should have my own finished and ready to go by next month. If not I'll either use my Gilman Keasey Yew or Bobcat ( Bob Barnes ) bamboo back/belly longbow with bamboo arrows and trade points.
Anyone wanting to primitive hunt Nebraska is welcome to join me during the early part of the season. My sons both rifle hunt and the later part of the season is always reserved for them. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 05:01:15 pm »
Hope to be hunting blacktails in August and September with my new plum recurve and port orford cedar arrows with STOS broadheads.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Will H

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
Ill be hunting fwith sticks and stone once again this year  :) :) :)  Stringman heres a peek at my weapon of choice per your request.  >:D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline lowell

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:48 am »
Cool bow Will H.....hope to see it laying on a deer come season!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 11:43:19 am »
Thanks, Will. Thats a nice lookin setup!

I think I'm gonna hunt with my George S. special this year. Got this in the trade last year and didnt hunt with it very much. Shot it the other day and it was feeling right. Cane shafts and 135 grn points. They are flying true and hitting hard!

Love seeing and hearing from everyone!

Scott

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 04:33:14 pm »
Osage, cane an stone, an hoping to stone another whitetail. Bob

Offline danlaw

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »
Oh man those bows look great. I am taking a plum branch out for blacktail on the 22nd (vancouver Island BC). This will be the second year with a primative bow, (though I am shooting Zwickies on hickory). Looking at the stone heads you guys are using is making me think I better get to knapping - they have made the transition from tools to art for sure.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 08:24:33 pm »
Have to stop and pick you up along the way Lee! ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956