Author Topic: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.  (Read 30717 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 03:15:25 am »
Nah, I wouldn't think that.  But, I know you make beautiful bows so it is a special treat to think you might shoot one of mine.

George

Hey Jorge are those skins on Scott's bow from me? I think I remember them.. Yellow bellies if they are  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 04:24:46 am »
Stone tipped dogwood for me.  I don't know which bow yet, but it will either be Osage,ironwood or walnut that much I know.  Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 10:48:33 am »
  Though the years every now and then stone calls me. But I love metal working my whole life and love makeing knives and trade points,forgeing as much as knapping.
  I always keep a stone head or 2 on a dog wood arrow. But I have to say stone points have aways had something mystical about them to me. Even the ones I make. I hunt stone heads every spring how could anyone find one and not feel that way about them.
  I'm sure the user had to think a little differently. They had to live by them. But when ever they found a old palo tip they had to think the same as we do about them now. THAT IS BEFORE HE RRSHARPEN IT AND PUT IT ON HIS OWN ARROW.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »
I planned on some Nebraska mule deer this fall but my wife's fuel pump took that money.  So I'll be staying close to home and hunting for deer/turkey with my self made osage bow, cedar arrows and some old bear razorheads.  Can't wait for the looks on public land when seen with me tackle.  It get's them every time.  Oh, and I'll be on the ground as well.

-Jeremy

Offline sonny

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 11:06:32 am »
season starts Oct 6th here in Va and more than likely I'll be sittin' up a tree with my maple flatbow
across my lap in hopes that a deer or turkey will wander by..
that is, unless I get off my lazy butt and finish up a sinew backed yew flatbow that I've been working on
for years. but that bow still needs skins glued on it and the tiller touched up a bit.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »
Hey Jorge are those skins on Scott's bow from me? I think I remember them.. Yellow bellies if they are  ;)

Cipriano

Yes Cip, but it was just one skin. It was a beauty.

George
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:14:55 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:21 pm »
Still going with selfbow just have to decide which one, thinking it will be this black locust since I'm shooting it best right now. Be using trade points on shoot and bamboo shafts. Would hunt with stone but have no knapping skills but would really love to do it that way,
that would be the ultimate for me. Heres what I'll be using come October. Forkhorn deer are my specialty.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:35 am »
I'll be sittin and waitin with a hedge or hickory bow,stone and grizzly points on bamboo and douglas fir shafts for turkey or deer.Need to eat,need feathers,need sinew and need a hide or two or three..Treestand,blind or pit blind.Ready for the rush.Starts October 1st.In fact a bobcat,coyote or a coon won't be safe either.That's if I aim small to hit small.LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Tarponnut

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
Going to try and kill a deer and a hog or two with my selfbow(Ryan Gill osage bow), cane arrows and trade points.
I've hung up my glass bow for the year.
I'm more exceited than I've ever been going into a deer season. It opens here Sept 1!(WMA) and Sept 15 in most of Florida.
Good luck!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »
I am heading over this week to hunt elk (Bear and cougar tags in hand too ;)).  This will be the first year I hunt primitive.  I will be using a 57# osage longbow I made this summer, and some fir shafts tipped with either Zwickey's or obsidian points (by stringman) if I can get them mounted in time. I am more excited than ever now that I am hunting with a bow of my own making.  Got to go get a few more shots in, and a few more arrows made. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 04:53:29 pm »
9 more days, well i was gonna shoot the osage with cane arrows and obsidian points then changed to my hill bow with bamboo arrows and grizzly points then i changed to a pse longbow with bamboo arrows with tusker bhs and then i changed to a hickory d-bow  and some cane arrows with grizzly bhs and now i'm back to the osage. waaaay to many decisions........ 
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Stringman

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »
Lol! That is exactly how my thoughts go sometimes!  ;D ;D ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:58 am »
Brain tanned a hide for a fellow that shot this deer with one of those shark tooth broadheads.It had a hole in the hide 5 inches long.He told me a deer was totally disembowled from an angled shot along the paunch by his friend.There were intestines hanging on the top wire of a barbed wire fence the deer jumped over.Talk about damage heh....The buck scored over 170.Shot him at 8 yards right underneath him.Deer of a lifetime in my book.Both these guys used glass longbows but these self bows will do er too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

youngbowyer

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »
I will give my new osage bow a try with my bamboo hunting arrows. I will however also hunt with my recurve bow.

Offline LANE77

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:35 pm »
I will be hunting this year with my hickory longbow and willow arrows tipped with metal trade points. I would love to hunt deer with stone points this season but does anyone know if you can hunt with 7/8 inch or wider stone arrowheads in Texas?