Author Topic: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.  (Read 30699 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: how many people plan on hunting deer or elk primitive.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 07:54:23 pm »
Here's the Texas broadhead rule:

When used to hunt turkey and all game animals other than squirrels, a projectile must be equipped with a broadhead hunting point that is at least 7/8-inch in width (upon impact) and has a minimum of two cutting edges. A mechanical broadhead must begin to open upon impact and, when open, must be a minimum of 7/8-inch in width.

I read that to mean the stone points are legal as long as they are 7/8" wide.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline LANE77

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »
Thats great news. Now I just have to get some stone points. I think that raw texas chert points would be my choice on deer and hogs. Does anyone have a good source of them? Im not very good at flint knapping and ive been trying for over three years lol. I was going to order some stone points from 3 rivers archery but I was shocked at the price ($25 each :o

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:11 pm »
If you're anywhere near Dallas, PM me and we'll knock some out in my shop.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline LANE77

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »
Im in San Angelo, not really that long of a drive. I might have to go by there sometime when im in Dallas.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
Better yet, when I go out to my deer lease in Cross Plains I'll bring some rock and tools.  That'd be a lot closer for you.  But, if you come to Dallas for sure let me know.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline LANE77

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »
Sounds good.

Offline tanner

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »
I'll definitely be bow hunting, but I don't know where it'll rate on everyone's "primitive" scale. I was hoping to hunt /w my first self-bow, but attempt #1 is stalled now due to a transverse crack so I likely won't be going out with it. Try #2 is well on its way, but I can't say if I'll have it done in time to be comfortable using it assuming it works out ok. Short story long - I'll probably be hunting /w my Martin recurve and aluminum arrows. :embarassed:

But there will be deer meat in my freezer....

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2012, 05:12:56 pm »
I couldn't honestly say that I'll be hunting true primitive style. My hunting bow is a maple backed cherry board bow, my broadheads are steel, and my arrows are also made from boards. But it is all handmade archery tackle, the product of my own time and effort.

I guess you could say that I am hunting traditional, but not primitive.

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:53 pm »
Yep, deer hunting with my new trade bow, river cane arrows tipped in stone and trade points. 27 more days.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

youngbowyer

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »
3 more days ;D I already can't sleep ::)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2012, 12:48:25 am »
All I hunt with is total primitive now. Bow,arrows and points all made by myself. So far this year I am two for two on squirrels. Two shots, two kills. No shots on the elk or deer as of yet.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:51:42 am by Keenan »

Offline LANE77

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »
Its dove season here and I have been trying my best to get one with a primitive bow. I have already lost over a dozen arrows ;D I will get one sooner or later.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:25 am »
Here it is...Missouri deer opens Saturday...50lb. osage / cane shafts / 150 grain bone points. goose feathers.
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline boughnut

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 12:58:22 am »
Ok so does a bamboo backed bow count.  I am going out in the morning I will take my osage recurve just in case.  It will be my 3rd morning out.  wish me luck.  I have seen deer every hunt so far but all at 100+ yards I am going to close in on them tomorrow with obsidian point cane shaft wild turkey feather self knocked arrows and sinew backed osage recurve.  I will be sure to post the outcome.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:06 am »
I have really enjoyed the post so far! true test to the life of primitive hunting. I have been working like a dog to complete a bow string that will be part of of a two part article in Primitive Archer Magazine maybe next year. I am hoping to take a deer with it if everything works out. So I will  be 100% (dogwood arrows, flint point, primitive paint, turkey feathered, milkweed string and osage slefbow)made from the outdoors primitive this time around. wish me luck!!!!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!