Author Topic: Flint knapping articles  (Read 2191 times)

Offline TRACY

Flint knapping articles
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:30 pm »
Just finished reading the new section in PA by Patrick and the two articles by Billy. Off to a great start and a long run Patrick!

I also enjoyed the finding flint article and could relate to my own trials and tribulations. Flint knapping glass article was one that I would have really enjoyed as a new knapper without material to knap. Well done Billy!
 Oh, and always enjoy pics from the Classic like the back inside cover!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Flint knapping articles
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »
I'm teaching a welding class @ Toyota in walesboro, IN and started the class w/, "Any body in here shoot a bow".  One of my students, Paul, answered yes.  We've been talkin about bow hunting eversince.  He's still on training wheels, but very interested in trad/prim.  He told me tonight that he was @ Wally World and picked up a copy of PA and was blown away by how great it was.  Tonight he asked me if I'd show him how to knapp sometime.  We may have a convert.  Each week I work there, I bring in my points from the week before.  ;)  I also found the knapping articals a nice surprise, since there were several this time around.  Great Job PA!! dpg

p.s. I'm the one on the far left second row of the back cover.  My two boys think that's really cool that I'm in a PA mag. Thanks PA Folks!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:52:12 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10:27 am »
Billy's glass article was nothing new to me as I've been knapping glass for a while.  But it's great to get it out there for new folks who can't find stone.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue to see what Patrick has in store for the column.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:58 pm »
Mike, I'm sure that many of us have been knapping glass, but it's cool that now that PA is in all the new outlets, it will give people a good starting point w/ CHEAP/FREE material to learn on.  I prefer to use old glass bottoms that I tend to find in the creeks.  I feel like the old glass is a little higher quality than the new stuff.   ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:45:06 pm »
Mike, I'm sure that many of us have been knapping glass, but it's cool that now that PA is in all the new outlets, it will give people a good starting point w/ CHEAP/FREE material to learn on.  I prefer to use old glass bottoms that I tend to find in the creeks.  I feel like the old glass is a little higher quality than the new stuff.   ;) dp

I agree with the old stuff being of higher quality.  I use stuff that's about 40 years old.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »
Thanks for the interest in the PA column, guys!  If you know of any competing articles out there, give me the links (or publication name) and I'll do my best to make mine better!

My column is mainly Q&A but the sky is the limit.  I'm thinking of submitting pictures of hafted points and other knapped items like axes.  Let me know if you want to see something specific and I'll talk to the editor (Ed Ingold).

;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »
Let me know if you want to see something specific and I'll talk to the editor (Ed Ingold).

Well......not concerning the column but I did ask to see a video of you using a bottle bottom to make a point.  As your style is very unique and interesting.

But yeah, can't wait for the next issue. ;D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
I'll make that bottle bottom video, don't worry.  My daughter wants some glass arrowheads for her collection and she's been putting the pressure on!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »
Great Pat.  I'm looking forward to it.  :)

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:33 pm »
Thanks guys!  Glad ya'll liked the articles.  I wanted to pass on some info that I learned over the years so that other people who want to learn how to flintknap can find some material, even if it is man-made glass. 
Marietta, Georgia