Author Topic: hickory/horn/sinew  (Read 27351 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: hickory/horn/sinew
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »
Yes Jodocus I did.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »
Hope so.I'll see.Thanks......sa
BowEd
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »
Very nice job, Ed! What a way to start heh?!? Looks like you worked thru all the little troubles you thought you was gonna have and beat that fox at the end. I agree with everyone, nice curves on that piece of wood. I like this best of all ur bows.

Scott

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »
Thanks Scott.That sinew is some amazing stuff.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
You threatened to do it.  Ya done gone went and did it. 

I figured you were up at Bybee's to shoot it from the pictures, bet Isaac was loving it! 

That bow is even prettier than you aren't, you ol' hoss!  I can't wait to see it up close and maybe even pitch an arrow or two thru it!  Whoowee!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:19 am »
Wow! That is a very balanced and beautiful bow. Great curves and nice combination for a hybrid. Love it. Congratulations

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:43 am »
That is one impressive bow!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:56 am »
That one has lovely lines.  Very nice work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 02:07:06 am »
WOW , sexy , sexy, sexy........wow :-X  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 07:58:51 am »
Beautiful craftsmanship Beadman...one piece of work to be very satisfied and proud of, she looks smooth as glass as far as finish work goes as well.

Couple questions on her if you don't mind.  How many layers of sinew did you end up with and did you groove the belly of the Hickory and the Horn like they typically do in an Asiatic bow?  How thick do you think your Horn is?

Many thanks
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Markus

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 08:17:12 am »
Loooking goood, and both bow and photo background is excellent. Too often we see bow pics taken in bathrooms and on top of kitchen sinks. ;) Markus.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:46 am »
Thanks fellas...Means a lot from you bow makers there.Feels better than a at a boy response from the wife or excuse me exwife I tell ya that......LOL.
Lee....Now I knew someone would ask me this and that's ok.I mean about the thicknesses of stuff here.Asiatic bows are generally built with the 1/3,1/3,1/3 ratio.This bow was scaled down to about 1/4,1/2,1/4.
There are 3 and 1/2 courses of sinew.Next one will be at least 4.That sinew is some amazing stuff.It wants to work so just put it to work I say.The horn is right at .095 th. or at least 3/32".I reverse braced it during both applications to put the horn in tension and the sinew in compression or better to make the sinew work more.The horns' surface was scratched lengthwise with just a hackssaw and the bows' belly was too.I used a 1 and 1/2" wide inner tube and wrapped it to put the horn on.Jeff Scmidt says it does'nt always have to be grooved.Every culture did it a little different.There are Turkish,Korean,Chinese,Indian,Mongolian etc.
There are shear forces at work there at the glue line so it will hold.I've done three other bamboo backed hickory horn bellied bows in an R/D design on forms and they were ok but not to the degree of performance this bow has.It's the SINEW fellas it is amazing stuff.
So I had an idea how much poundage I could get from my horn thickness.I started with a tillered 25#@28" bow.Applied my horn and sinew.After 2 months I had a 75# bow.Right on track.A 2 to 1 ratio of composites to wood draw weight.The composite surfaces I figure are doing at least 70% of the work.My goal was to make a more durable bow[i.e. longer string time of most concern here] with a design to enhance performance.I shoot with a bunch of glass bow shooters at #D shoots and I wanted to piss em off.It does shoot faster than most of their bows all except a 52" Kodiak Recurve a fella has.So there it is fellas get after it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:31 am »
JW......Yes Isaac showed up later.Brought him some more arrows to shoot off the bow you gave him.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:56 am »
Ed, thanks a bunch for taking the time so spell out all your details, ratios of sinew/wood/horn, etc...that is the "meat" I was searching for.  I have been procrastinating on a composite build for quite some time now, not sure if I am intimidated by the horn or what my major hang up is but I do need to just hop off the fence and get to building one.  I have some water buff horn and some gemsbok and plenty of prepped sinew so really my only point to work out is my choice of wood for the core.  I am personally leaning towards some Osage but I do have a modified pyramid/paddle hickory bow I could possibly put to decent use as an option as well, it just need some time in the steamer and on a form for the recurved tips.

I do admire your glass like finish on this bow...looks like she was "dipped."  Very nice...

Regards,
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:03 am »
That's a beauty for sure,great job!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!