Author Topic: Sapstain in yew sapwood  (Read 5738 times)

Offline kiwijim

Sapstain in yew sapwood
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
Hi Guys,
This morning I was reducing some thick sapwood on a nice yew warbow stave. Under the bark I found quite a bit of sapstain; occasional light blue and grey streaks that go all the way to the heartwood :(.
Have any of you come across this? and more importantly, do you think the sapwood has degraded too much to be a safe backing? BAcking the stave is not an option, but the stave is deep enough to remove all the sapwood and make a heart wood only bow. Your thoughts appreciated.

Regards
James

Offline adb

Re: Sapstain in yew sapwood
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:07 pm »
Why isn't backing an option?

Offline tannhillman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:33 pm »
Hi James

I have have worked a fair bit of yew with grayish stains in the sapwood, and it has never caused a problem with any of the bows :)

Cheers

Iain

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
Cheers Iain
Thats what I wanted to know. ;D

Best Reagards
James

Offline tannhillman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »
My pleasure

Let me know how the bow turns out.

Kind Regards   >>>---------------->  :o

Iain

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:05:51 am »
Hi Guys,
This morning I was reducing some thick sapwood on a nice yew warbow stave. Under the bark I found quite a bit of sapstain; occasional light blue and grey streaks that go all the way to the heartwood :(.
Have any of you come across this? and more importantly, do you think the sapwood has degraded too much to be a safe backing? BAcking the stave is not an option, but the stave is deep enough to remove all the sapwood and make a heart wood only bow. Your thoughts appreciated.

Regards
James

Again... why isn't backing an option?

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:53:39 am »
A stave of this quality is destined to be a self bow. If the the consensus was that the sapwood was marginal, I would simply strip it all off and make a heartwood only bow.

Offline tannhillman

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:53 am »
Hi James,

Would it be possible to upload some pics just to see what the sapstain looks like, just to be sure what you have is the same as what I have used with out problems?

Iain

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:27:50 am »
A stave of this quality is destined to be a self bow. If the the consensus was that the sapwood was marginal, I would simply strip it all off and make a heartwood only bow.
Backing it with rawhide might solve yor problems.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »
 I understand your wanting to stay pure with the stave for a war bow.  I have worked several staves with sapwood stain and never had a problem with it.  I have found that due to the thin bark any injury can cause that to happen but is usually builds in strength while healing. Staples, bullets and any other metals often with give a purple stain in the wood as well

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 04:11:19 am »
Cheers 24hunting,
I've seen some beautiful woodturning from yew with nail/iron stains; one was almost all purple.
How are things treating you? & how is your good looking family? Accommodation is still available here in NZ for when you and your missus go travelling,

Best Regards
James Saunders

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:55:45 am »
James, How are you doing my friend? sorry for the delays seeing your posting. My wife and I were celebrating our ten year anniversary this last weekend. we think of you often and still dream of someday visiting your beautiful country. Hopefully with in this next year or so. Last spring we talked for a very long time with a guide service for the stag hunt near your area. How are things going since the earthquake? Things getting back to normal?

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:04 pm »
Hi Keenan. Sent you a PM
James