Author Topic: ground blinds for our bows?  (Read 12148 times)

Offline armymedic.2

ground blinds for our bows?
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
I had a ground blind and loved it until i let it get wrecked by weather back when i hunted with modern recurves.     Im wondering if anyone uses a ground blind they would reccomend for a longbow......like 66-72 inch long bows?  Im looking for a pop up blind. 
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline boughnut

Re: ground blinds for our bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:13:27 pm »
I mostly only ground hunt I dont see the need for tree stands.  Everywhere I find a place to hunt a take a pair of snips and using branches and such I make all natural ground blinds they work 100 times better than popups they look natural and the deer look right past them.  the few times I have hunted out of a popup everytime a deer comes in sight of it they look straight at it and take off.  the deer here are skidish as can be maybe different where you are but still is a good option as they are free and only takes about 10 minutes to make one and you can leave it there for the next time.  Just a though and works great for me.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »
Prior to quality tree stands I hunted a lot out of ground blinds or just got close to brush. I have thought of buying a roll of wire fencing and making a semi circle and adding brush and stuff to enclose it. Could use wire cutters to cut out a shooting hole where needed.

Some of the pop-up blinds are too low or to narrow for many primitive bows.

I would like to see some pictures of ground blinds used by primitive archers on here, if available. Thanks
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:32 am »
Here's my setup from last year:

That is the "Big Game Treestands VS360 Ground Blind" which I bought at Bass Pro Shops.  Not the best blind out there, but it is 70" tall and 77" square.  2 people can sit in it easily but it's hard for more than 1 to hunt at a time with a bow.  Bow's longer than 66" are going to be uncomfortable in this blind.  I made a 51" longbow specifically for blind hunting. 

I left the blind set up for a year outside and the color faded badly.  When I moved it this summer one of the poles poked through it's spot in the roof so the one side won't stay popped out correctly.  They aren't designed to be left up indefinitely.  I've ruined 2 that way.  Right now it is set up by one of the feeders at my hog lease.  I sit in it when there's a chance of rain.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
Thanks George.   I think i will be looking to make a short bow for bling hunting as well.

The roll of fence id a good idea....but it doesnt keep you dry.   Thats what i loved about my popup so much

As far as brush blinds....while i agree they can be great....i buntin alot of my pastures ...and the first time through the cattle will destroy them.  Something to pack up and move is critical.   

Offline boughnut

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
frog toggs to keep you dry if you cant find a nice blind not sure but I think the primos company has blinds made for bow hunters

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »
This un was a little work gathering the sticks but it sure was cheap!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
Scott a little dirt and that could be a hobbit house
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:31:38 pm »
I love those kind too Scott, but you sure have to hold still.  Down here you'd have to check that one pretty close for future bow backings before sitting down.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
Down here you'd have to check that one pretty close for future bow backings before sitting down.

Lol no such luck in my deer woods!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:50:59 am »
  GET A GHILLIE I made one in 82 and never hunt without it. I don't like the confine felling of a pop-up. Just seams to out of place to me. With a ghillie if the wind changes so can I.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:50 pm »
I have a ghillie.........never tried to bowhunt with it though.   May have to give a whirl

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:31 pm »
Scott this is my thin view I am hunting tonight. The other night a buck pasted at 40. Tonight might be the night.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:49:15 am »
I have a folding stool like some dove hunters carry that has a zippered bag underneath it - a little camo chair with a back to it.  In the little zippered bag, I carry a twelve foot roll of blind material.  I take some pruning sheers with me and can usually set up a pretty good brushed in type of blind in just a few minutes, and without a whole lot of noise.  If enough natural cover is present, I have just partially wrapped up in that blind material and taken deer.  I like to keep my equipment to a minimum and be able to stay mobile.  I hunt strips of land between an oxbow lake and a major river so the winds tend to change a lot.  Being able to move my set up quickly really helps.  I added a strap to that little folding stool so I can carry it over my shoulder opposite my quiver.  The whole set up is about a third the price of the cheapest pop-ups, but it sure won't help you with the rain.  Have hunted in ghillies too and that is a good way to go.  there's my two cents...  Good luck this season.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »
I corresponded with Dr Ed Ashby a couple years back (super guy)  and he sent me a PDf with his article and design of his homemade ghille suit if any one wants to view it. Just send me a PM and I will email it to you. I have'nt made mine yet but I think that would be the ultimate and I will be doing one eventually.
   I am currently using a Primos ground max blind and for the most part I like it. I liked Georges better because it had the magnets for the screen attachment instead of velcro, but it works pretty well. If you were gun hunting there is room enough for 2 but with a long bow there is'nt room for two.  Mine sets up easy so mobility is good. I do like it hough cuz I get a little figity sometimes and it masks my movement.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God