Author Topic: shooting left and right  (Read 3725 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

shooting left and right
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »
Ok so I'm still pretty knew to archery and I'm teaching my self to shoot.  I started at 5 yards and can hit my target (6" square) and I have a 50% accuracy at 10 yard and at 15 yards I almost always hit to the left or right.  So what am I doing wrong here?   I am staying at 10 yards until I get this problem fixed.

I also noticed that when I wrap my finger around the string instead of just using my finger tips I shoot wayyyyy better, it feels a lot more steady. And I believe my form is almost perfect , but I can't be sure.

Any shooting tips in general is welcome.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: shooting left and right
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:55 am »
For some reason a deep grip seems to release cleaner. It was suggested to me when I first started shooting instinctive. I have since developed my own style and no longer use a deep grip. If you shoot better using it by all means continue. Consistancy is the secret to good shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:09 am »
I was watching the movie forbidden kingdom and the girl shoots a bow with a deep grip which caught my attention. So I stopped the movie went outside and tried it lol. Never thought a movie would help increase my accuracy. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:28 pm »
You are probably not getting into you face at anchor some times or not canting you bow consistently ,that will cause left and right on a non center shot bow.  :)
and of course letting you bow arm drift will also, I try and hold my bow arm solid until I see the arrow hit the target. Easier said than done sometimes. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:24 pm »
Are your arrows spined properly? Are they all the same spine? Arrows too stiff will shoot left, and arrows too weak will shoot to the right. Give yourself at least 10 yards shooting distance to allow the arrow's flight to become cleaner after paradox.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
Pappy, what is canting?

Adb, my arrows are going straight in, not at an angle so I think they are the proper spine.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »
Whether they're ''going straight in" or not has nothing to do with it.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:11 pm »
Then how do you tell, cuz that's how I was taught.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:48:36 pm »
Then how do you tell, cuz that's how I was taught.

OK... carry on.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:22 pm »
Like adb said. You either spine test them to make sure or purchase them from someone who has.
If they are spined correctly then the problem is most likely your form and release.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 05:55:44 am »
I have found if not spined right ,they don't fly good,spine can cause an arrow to hit left or right but if they are all the same they will group left or right not both.
Probably plucking the string or some of the other things I mentioned. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:30 pm »
I have found if not spined right ,they don't fly good,spine can cause an arrow to hit left or right but if they are all the same they will group left or right not both.
Probably plucking the string or some of the other things I mentioned. :)
   Pappy
Or, if you have a bunch of arrows of various unknown spine (some stiff, some weak)  they'll shoot all over the map.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 04:16:33 pm »
My arrows are all the same with the same field points. I bought a pack of carbon arrows with a spine weight for 35 to 50# and my bow is 40#. It could be all of your answers, I could be anchoring wrong, my arrows could be the wrong spine weight for my bow. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:18:52 pm »
...or your arrows could be made of the wrong material.  ::)   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:18:48 pm »
My arrows are all the same with the same field points. I bought a pack of carbon arrows with a spine weight for 35 to 50# and my bow is 40#. It could be all of your answers, I could be anchoring wrong, my arrows could be the wrong spine weight for my bow. 
Unless you're using very heavy tips, I'd say there's a good chance they are too stiff.  Strip the feathers off one and shoot it. If they're spined right and your form is good they should hit right with the feathered ones (they do have real feathers...right?) You'll really see what's going on once you start getting out past ten yards.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.