Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 82377 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 12:00:52 am »
Sounds like I need to come huntin with ya Eddie - crawlin around in tha mud, searchin fer tha animals. Right up my alley ;D.
  I'm with ya Bob - don't kill unless your gonna eat it, or it's a pest on the farm (so's ta speak). I saw a show one time on these guys in Africa (native people's) that used little bitty poision arras - they'd stick a big ole Kudu or something and trail it fer days (till it died) then take home the rewards. Wish I could track like that!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 01:54:42 am »
I saw a small doe tonight couldnt get a shot at her, and not sure I would have anyways she was pretty small. Another hunter(compounder) who hunts the same farm as me hit a big 8 pointer tonight and couldnt find it.  :-\ I helped him look for several hours and it only bled for like 30 yards after he shot it and we lost the blood in the hemlock needles.  :P He was going to go back in the morning to look some more, I dont think it was a very good hit, the deer will probally survive it I hope. :(
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 11:56:43 pm »
Turns out he did have a descent hit on that deer. He went back this morning and found it near the creek a couple hundred yards away. He hit it kinda high just barely caught the top of the lungs and had no exit hole, the arrow stayed in the deer the whole time. It didnt bleed hardley at all with the high enterance wound. I went over to the property where he shot him this afternoon to move my stand and decided to look to see where he found him.(the gut pile) To my suprize I walked up on a large (4 or 500 pound) black bear feeding on the fresh gut pile. Good thing he found that deer when he did or the bear would have eatin it all up! :o

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 12:15:02 am »
Good deal!! Man I wish we had bears around here, can you hunt em where your at? That'd be a rush, specially if he ran toward you rather than away. Hmm, maybe I'm glad we don't have bears ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 12:28:53 am »
Yes and no. Legally, yes I can hunt them here, but bear season is only three days long here,and the land owner were I've been seeing them won't let me shoot them. He thinks there his pets, they come eat out of his bird feeders all the time. Two years ago on the same piece of land I had one try to crawl up the tree with me.....lol. I had to tell him Get! :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:33:12 am by Ryano »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
I hear you guys on the heat Here in the U.P. its been in the high 70's with 100% humidity, rain and fog miserable hunting weather.
The deer have their winter coats and just aren't moving much, it would be like me going jogging with a parka on. Good news the heats supposed to
break tommow highs in the 50's. Went to spend the weekend at my brother-in-laws he has forty acres mostly pasture but a nice strip of woods and its in farm country.
Didn't hunt the first night because of a thunderstorm, went sneaking in the morning down a 4 wheeler trai he has in the woods. Well I'm sneaking and hear a deer coming towards me down the trail so I freeze and get ready and this little nubber comes around the corner looking sad as all hell, its only about 10' from me when it realizes I'm there. you should have seen his paniced look and then he decides to run and it was like he coundn't figure which way to go it was hilarious I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself ;D Didn't hunt that night had to visit family and the next morning was so foggy ya couldn't see 10'. Probably won't go until tommow when the heat breaks. Working 10 day shift so will only be able to hunt nights. I agree with bob if ya shoot it every effort needs to be expended to find the animal even if by the time you find it the meats no good or coyotes been at it you might be able to salvage some tendons or bones. It why I generally won't hunt in the rain washes the blood and sign away. Good hunting guys.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 12:07:03 am »
Didn't see crap today. It was another recorder breaker today's high was 88 degree's!  :P Nothing like siting in your stand sweating your a$$ off. :P My brother missed a doe tonight, guess it was to close cause he shot right over her back. lol. :D He also saw a big bear tonight, I cant believe how many bears are around here now. A few years ago we had none in this part of the state, now it seems like there going to be more bears than deer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:22:03 am by Ryano »

Offline possum

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 08:08:21 am »
Well. I got busted by ... FLIES!! >:(  Sittin there in a ground blind all still and everything and then these flies start in.  Now, they could land on my shirt, pants shoes, whatever... but no, they have to land on my nose, around my eyes, anywhere that will make me twitch.  Then I hear what sounds like a stomp.  Slowly turn my head and, yep, a doe staring at me trying to get me to move... again.  She saw me twitch. :-\  She was like 5 yards from me with a friend maybe 3-3 yards from here.  I was here to get a doe and this one woulda gone right by me if the flies weren't around.  Oh well. 
What do ya use for fly control that don't stink to high heaven?

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

DBernier

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 09:23:58 am »
I use a full camo see thru net head cover. Works great. Used them in Canada in April/May for the "bugs"

Dick

Offline Ryano

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 09:25:32 am »
Ive been using a repelant called "no stinken bugs" its smells like fresh earth scent seems to work pretty well.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 12:14:42 pm »
Finally cooled off, mid 50's and cooler tommow ;D
Actually had mosquoitos last time out ??? That shouldn't happen up >:(
Hunting tonite unless it decides to pour again, then its bow making.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 12:17:25 pm »
Pretty much the same here. Too hot. Way too hot. Skeeters whining in my ears. Yellowjackets landing on my nose. Deer doing almost all their moving at night. Not many deer here anyway. We need some frost.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 12:18:45 pm »
              Hunt in rain its good fer ya and ya scent falls straight ta ground. What ya wanna be comfortable ? ;D......bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:28 pm »
No bob its not about comfort, its my tracking skills that suck the rain will wash blood away and I don't want to lose a deer that way.

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:12 pm »
Finally got out here in the Hoosier state this past weekend. It was extremely hot (90's) in the afternoons and in the low 70's before sunrise. I'm not telling you guys anything you haven't already experienced from the sounds of it. Had deer around me but out of range Sat. AM. I'm chomping at the bit to harvest my first selfbow deer. Bypassed SAT PM and waited for SUN AM. I had five deer within 14-18 yards feeding on Bur oak acorns for about an hour but couldn't get a good clean shot on one of the adult does. Had an absolute blast. Good luck hunting to everyone and be safe!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956