Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 82445 times)

Offline lowell

Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »
Finally cooling off here. Went out this afternoon late and saw 1 deer and 1 turkey, but nothing close enough.

Just  a nice hunt without bugs and heat!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:51 am »

There's a nice coolness to the air this morning. Wish I was in a stand right now and not at work! Might have to take a vacation day Friday and start the weekend off early.

Keith is off this week...he's a teacher and is off for falll break. He missed a doe yesterday afternoon...he said it was a perfect shot opportunity, he just wasn't focused. He ruffled some hair on the top of her back. I'm sure he's hunting this morning as well.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

makete

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2007, 02:05:25 pm »
I hunt with heavey arras so that even in the rain I have two holes to bleed from. Lots of people want speed, I want two holes, pass through. Want that exit hole to help with tracking. In rain I will start trailing right away so that I have something to see. Rain will make you quieter, more silent, just move slow and keep looking for that animal while looking for the blood. Have had to track in a snow storm befor and that was also tough. Would see a dimple in the snow and dig down to see if it was blood. Most times it was as I was also following the tracks. But there were an awful lot of track from other deer. Found it after about 4 hours. I have also tracked a deer for 4 or 5 hours and seen it get up and run away. Sometimes our shots are not killer and the animal lives.

makete

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2007, 02:07:24 pm »
Ryano do you just want our most recent hunt or some interesting hunting storys? Cool thread anyway.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
Any story if its a good one.  ;D I'm Just trying to see what other hunters are experiencing around other parts of the world.
Its finally cooling off here too. A high in the 50's today but Rainy. I saw three does last night but couldn't get one close enough for a shot. Then I saw three deer this morning to but they were running circles around my stand. Two adult doe and a fawn. Seemed like the one doe was chasing the other doe with the fawn.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:39:46 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 09:12:53 am »
Deer 1 Dana 0, Went out last night blowing wind and rain so didn't sit the treestand, decide to still hunt up a oak ridge into the wind.
I had been at it an hour I found a nice big spruce tree so I about 10 yards off a trail so I took shelter under its branches to watch the
trail. Well after about 15 min along come a nice fat doe I gave her a little urp to stop her which she did gave me a nice broadside shot,
came to full draw released and witched my arrow sail a foot over her back ::) Needless to say she vacated the premises in a hurry.
First time I drew on a deer in 8 years and let me tell the excitement was back, adreline pumping heart beating like mad, haven't felt like
that since I shot my first deer 30 some years ago. What I did wrong is I shot at the deer, I didn't aim or pick a spot I just drew and released!
BTW it was one of bob's tonkin shafts and it flew real nice but that one is gone to the god of lost arras. Sorry bob.
Oh well their is always tonight ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sonny

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2007, 11:15:05 am »
Hunted yesterday afternoon for a few hours. My buddy put me in a white oak (that's dropping acorns) overlooking a big field.
Just before dark a couple of beagles ran through and when the deer came out into the field they were spooked. Right at dark one of the deer came to the tree but too late. If she had been there ten minutes earlier I'd have had a shot.

Well before the deer showed up a hawk landed up in that tree about 12 feet from me. Apparently didn't like the look of me and took off soon after.   
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2007, 11:51:44 am »
I have had the same problem with dogs this year,but I plan on remedying that this
weekend,Wonder how dog meat taste. >:D ;)I have no problem with hunting dog
that get out or away from there owner or even yard dogs that come through on occasion but when they are there every day I have a big problem. :)I usually give yard dogs 1 reprieve
if they have a collar after that they are fair game.Tn. has a leash law so the owner should keep
them at home.City folks by a 5 acre piece of land out here in the country and the first thing they do is buy a horse and 2 or 3 big dogs,they say I brought them to the country where they have room to run.I tell them ,do you want a bunch of dogs running through your yard,this is my yard onlybigger.Now I will get off my soap box it is just one of my pet peeves. :) And by the way
ant seeing many deer ,better weather now so maybe I will have a hunting story after the weekend. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2007, 02:05:25 pm »

Yesterday afternoon when I got home there were 11 turkeys in my back yard. So I slowly opened my truck door and stalked quietly into my basement to get my bow, and quietly stalked back out onto my driveway careful to keep cover (my truck) between me and where the turkeys last were. Slowly with arrow on string and bow at ready I eased around the corner of my cover only to see that the turkeys had fed out of range. ;D  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »
I got out late after work tonight, and decided to try a spot that I hunted last year, but didnt look so hot this year. Anyways its close to the road and I didnt have much time, so I sliped in quietly(it rained all day and just cleared off) hung my climber on a tree and settled in. To my suprise I saw a deer moving down below me right away, couldnt tell what it was(buck or doe) just could see movement. Then about 15 minutes later a doe came running down the hill, but got down wind of me and kinda spooked. Of course I forgot my grunter because I was in a hurry so I had no way to try to call to them....lol. Then right at dark another deer came down the hill from behind me and stood there until pitch dark and then walked through 15 yards away but it was so dark I couldnt even see it just heared it. lol.... ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2007, 05:47:19 am »
Went out yesterday,the weather finely cooled off.Went in about 3 and ran a couple of deer
out when I went in and figured I had messed the day up.It was so nice I decided to just set anyway.Nothing much was going on till around 6.I hit my bleat call about twice and all of the
sudden deer came running into my area from everywhere,The calls don't work all the time but I have never seen it hurt so I use them from time to time.This time it worked.They were all doe
7 in all so after they settled down I picked the biggest and took the shot.I don't always hit right where I look but this time I did.She was down in 40 yards.I checked when I dressed her and
hit the right lobe then through the heart and out in the left lobe low.The arrow didn't shoot all
the way through but it went in to the fletching.She broke the broad head and about 14 in.of arrow off when she took off on the other side.It was a 107 lb. doe.I took it with Twin Sister1.
 Now sister 2 turn in the woods. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2007, 07:28:04 am »
Sweet! Scored another one aye.... ;) Im still trying!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2007, 08:56:00 am »
Well done pappy, I didn't get to last night but will be out tonite. Heavy frost last night its getting cold.
Hope I don't miss again :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50:37 am »
Thanks guys,it is getting better weather weather here so hope the hunting will stay good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2007, 08:26:03 pm »
  Look's like good eating,Pappy.I wish deer hunting here was that good.About the dogs;I hunted a pay hunt for hogs down south a year ago.The outfitter told us for every dog collar we brought back to camp we got $50 dollars off our next hunt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?