Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 83668 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2007, 09:05:06 pm »
Finally cooling down here too. Supposed to frost tonight. This week is muzzleloader season here, no bowhunting, so I'm gonna take the smokepole out tomorrow morning. Not many deer here, and a disease has been going through them this summer killing a lot of the herd, not too optimistic about this season.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2007, 10:10:08 pm »
Congrats Mark! ;)

Took off from work today and went hunting! This morning I carried my climbing stand into an area of woods that I've been wanting to check out. Spooked some deer going in prior to finding a tree to climb. I saw several turkeys after daylight and one deer running 80-100 yards away. Found out later that Keith had taken a shot at it. We scouted during the middle of the day looking for acorns and found very few. One tree had some fresh feeding sign under it, but not a lot of acorns on the ground. I'll probably hunt it in the morning as it was the best sign I saw.

This afternoon I decided to hunt the foodplot behind my house. About 30 minutes before dark, a really nice 8-pt came walking and feeding down the roadway leading into the plot. He got to where my trail I cut from my back yard to my stand crosses the roadway, and he turned and headed up the trail toward my backyard. I didn't expect that! He got within 25 yards or so of my back yard, and turned around and came back down to the roadway. He continued walking in the original direction he had been traveling, and never dropped down into the plot where I could get a shot at him. He got within 20 yards at the closest point, but was behind me with branches between us, and I wasn't going to chance a poor shot at him. I enjoyed watching him, and plan to reposition my stand. He never knew I was there, so maybe there will be another time... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2007, 07:36:44 am »
Not a good hunting night last night had a gusty contrary wind that could not make its mind up what it wanted to do kinda like a woman
redecorating ;D saw deer but they all busted me oh well always another day eh. No hunting tonight have a harvest dinner to go to at a friends
lots of food and bererages and good friends as Pappy says "Life is Good"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:28:36 am by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline lowell

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2007, 11:48:51 am »
Timing is eveything!! :(

Had made a hook that would hold my bow on my lap so I didn't have to have a hand on it all the time.   Figured it needed a little adjustment... don't get ahead of me now!! ;D

The 2 minutes I messed with it, a nice 1 1/2 year old buck had gotten to within 15 yards and was watching me make my new invention perfect. 

Oh well it will be ready for the next one!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »
Nothing going on here this morning... :-\
I'm going to head back out to a different stand this afternoon. :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sonny

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2007, 10:03:17 pm »
Just getting back to my truck from a quick check of the trail on the other side of the road I look up the road to see a doe crossing the road. I snuck up there- didn't have my bow (illegal to shoot from/ near the roadway, blah, blah) to discover there's two of 'em feeding on acorns under a big oak. They let me sneak along until I crouched to get a better look, then they took off...not much chance of a stalk of those deer as it's THICK in the direction they were headed.   

Had a close encounter with a spike buck this afternoon (but won't elaborate, unless I kill one  :-\ )

Then 30 minutes before dark I hear two or three deer feeding in front of me but only clearly see one. Surprising how thick the foliage still is, though I reckon it's to be expected since it's been hot up 'til now.

Walking back to my truck I jumped several turkeys from different trees. Seemed to be 8 or 10 but may have jumped a couple of them more than once.

Yes, today was an exciting day..well, this afternoon was!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:46 am »
You guys are keepin me on the edge of my seat - four more days, I get off work.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2007, 07:31:38 am »
Had some good weather this weekend,well at least in the morning.Went out Sat morning and had 5 does come in to about 18 yards witch is a little longer than I like.I would have probably tried the shot but they knew something was up and a little bit alert.I have tried that before and it don't work.Didn't hunt but about an hour Sunday morning,had a family reunion to help get set up.
 Ran one out going in and didn't see anything else but squirrel's.Always a good hunt to me if I can see deer and really good if I have a close encounter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2007, 08:20:33 am »
Beautiful weather yesterday, had to work but finally made it out around 5PM, seeing as it was late start I decided to sit in a portable
blind I have setup overlooking a trail. About 6PM I saw a big deer thru the brush after watching it for a few minutes I gave a few bleats,
his head swung around and I saw a rack to far away in brush to count points but it was a big un. I gave a few more bleats but nothing doing.
He finally ambled off. Around 30 min later here he is again but only 20 yards out this time, now I could see the rack high, wide 8 or ten pointer,
He knew something was up kept staring at my blind, this went on for about 20 mins, when he turned his head away I grunted softly a few times, I didn't have a call
just my throat. well that got his attention. He started to move in a circle so I gave him a couple more urrrppps, He was coming now I got ready for the shot at about 12yds, then he just hung up wouldn't take the last 2 steps to enter my shooting lane. Finally he just turned and walked away, didn't snort or flag just strolled.
I think his sixth sense saved him, talk about nerve wracking man I am so pumped, the area I'm in has low deer numbers and no crops makes for some tough huntin.
Oh well, maybe next time eh! IMO these deer are well into the pre-rut already and their on the look out for the first hot doe, or a fight, this bucks neck was swollen
and he looked like he was ready to fight or #$*^ ;D ;D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

makete

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:38 am »
This is good to hear Dana. Pre-rut is the best time IMO. Good luck and have fun. ;)

Offline GlennM

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 11:09:25 am »
Hey guys!

NY's season just opened this past Saturday.  The weather finally cooled down into the mid 50's during the day and 40's at night.  Week before the season it was in the mid 80's.  Our leaves are a week behind peak colors and the canopy is very full.  Visibility is minimal.  The first deer of the season that I saw was a 140 class monster.  He winded me at 60yds.  I had 2 does come in last night and were interested in my decoy, but hung up 10 yds out of range in the thick brush.  I tell you those new photo realistic decoys are awesome.  I was watching a trail behind me yesterday, I turned around and was given a start when there was a deer (decoy) 15 yds from me.  I almost shot the decoy on a reflex!

Dave R has seen does, but no shots.  Haven't heard from Chuck or John.  A few of us are making plans again this year to come to LBL at Christmas.  My wife insists I go because I was a pain last year when I stayed home.

I'll be out tonight after work.

Glenn
Lancaster, NY

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2007, 11:31:22 am »
Can't wait to see yall,we always have a big time and missed you last year.Tell the boys I said Ha.and good luck. :)PS you can leave John at home.Ha Ha. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlennM

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2007, 08:59:06 am »
I sat for 3.5 hrs after work.  I heard the farmer was chopping corn once I got into the stand.  GREAT!  Nothing came around all night except for a squirrel that I did manage to cut a few hairs off of his tail. 

Pappy ,

Don't worry John won't be coming this year The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Southerns has filed a restraining order to keep him out of states further south then PA.  He decided to use his vacation time to hunt the PA gun season this year.

Glenn

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »
Can't wait,all tho I will miss his calendars. ;D I hope to get back after them Thursday,had some things to catch up on and hope that it is all done this evening. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2007, 02:59:30 pm »
Hey Glenn, nice to hear from ya.
I saw a sow and three cubs night before last. Our bear population seems to be exploding hear in Erie county. Ive seen almost as many bears this year as deer.
I could have shot a small buck last night. I was hunting on the ground and he came in about ten yards broad side, but it was to dark to see if he was legal (4 on one side), and its still kinda early in the season to shoot a small one anyways. I was actually hoping it was a doe. Exciting anyways, I love getting that close on the ground. :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....