Author Topic: 53# tri lam  (Read 5888 times)

Offline adb

Re: 53# tri lam
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »
Here's an example of what I was talking about regarding mass... these two bows are almost identical. Maple backed jatoba, 70" ntn, 1 1/8" at the center, tapering to 3/8" nocks, 48#@28", final mass 620 grams. This bow: maple/ipe/osgae tri lam, 70" ntn,  1 1/8" at the center tapering to 3/8" nocks, 53#@28", final mass 610 grams. So, even though this bow has 3 layers, it's mass is nearly identical with the same profile. Both bows took basically no set (1/2" each). If I had to overdraw one of them, it would be the tri lam.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:29:14 pm by adb »

Offline adb

Re: 53# tri lam
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
Beautiful! How do yall do those inlay arrow passes? I always thought that an easy way might be to use a hardcore leather punch to punch out a shallow hole, (the kind you have to use a mallet with) than do another on the wood of choice for the inlay, and than just glue it in the hole and sand it down? I tried it the other day though, and it didn't work as good as I had hoped. Another way I was thinking was use the end of a dowel rod as a pattern, and trace the circle out with a x-acto knife, and then chizel it out like Del does. How you guys do those is just beyond me.

;D ;D Making this type of arrow pass is just the easiest thing possible! I drill a 3/8" hole into the bow grip where I want the arrow pass to be, glue in a round dowel of whatever material you want with epoxy, let it dry, cut off the dowel, sand it smooth, and presto... inlaid round arrow pass! BE CAREFUL HOW FAR YOU DRILL INTO THE GRIP!!! 1/4" tops!! Anymore will cause a major weak spot, and if your bow is a bendy handle style, failure is possible if you go too deep. I've used round horn, antler, and wood as material for round arrow passes.