Author Topic: Pay dirt  (Read 25487 times)

Offline iowabow

Pay dirt
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:25 pm »
Well after paying the dirt god tribute by drilling 6 arrows into the dirt i finally did it! This doe came into 8 yards and I missed but the second shot did the trick. The shot was a 3/4 away that entered behind the first rib and broke a rib going out the other side. The second shot was from 18 yards. I went to house and waited 2 hours. I took Isaac out to track the deer after 40 yards trailing blood Issac found the arrowhead under some leaves. Now there is a dispute about who gets to keep it. Isaac thinks that he should keep it because dad would not have seen it or may have stepped on it. He also thinks that because this is the 2nd deer i have taken primitive it does not hold as much value. He told me I could keep the shaft. We would like your opion on this issue. After tracking the deer 265 yards we found this doe.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:56:22 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: Pay dirt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »
Pics

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »
Pic

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »
Stringmans flint knife was used to field dress and it worked real good.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:59:32 pm »
Bay-bay, you gotcher mojo baaaaaack!  Groovy!

Having spoke to Isaac on the phone this morning on this very same subject, I shall weigh in.  There are two conflicting and quite appropriate schools of thought.  1) Finders Keepers.  Probably primitive man's earliest law.  2) It was your workmanship that made the stone head, the shaft, the fletching, and it was you that took this doe.

Since it is not your first primitive deer, I am afraid I will side with the young and the handsome rather than the old and greedy/grasping!

And finally, in the spirit of giving thanks for things received, a word for Isaac:  I think you should make something for your father to show your appreciation for keeping the arrowhead...if, indeed, it does become your property. 

Woohoo, attaboy John, glad to see you connected up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
Darn nice job gettin er done, John!!!

I'm gonna have to side with Jdub on this one. I think you need to make a necklace from it so Isaac can wear it and show all his buddies how cool a dad he has! Proud of ya, buddy!

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
Proud of ya, buddy!

Me, too.  I am very proud of you, Isaac!     >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »
Very nice job and good tracking!!!   

And I think it's great Isaac found a point he can keep for ever and ever!! :) ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:21:23 pm »
Nice Iowabow!!! Sounds like you had a great day on your hunt and with your son. I agree with the others, young man gets the arrow point and old man gets the memory of a fine hunt. Congrats to both of you. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 05:47:27 pm »
Congrats John.  I've found that arguments between Dads and their kids over the ownership of stuff brought in while hunting usually go the kid's way...just sayin. ;)  If it weren't for that I'd definitely be siding with you.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »
Haha, "old man." I love it!! ;D ;D   :P

By the way, I have graciously chosen not to bring this up cause I know how hard you e been working to get one down, Buuutttt there is this little matter of a point that you now owe me.   ::)
(I'm thinkin at least a 4" blade of some of that pearly white stuff you have been setting aside!)   ;)

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »
Haha, "old man." I love it!! ;D ;D   :P

By the way, I have graciously chosen not to bring this up cause I know how hard you e been working to get one down, Buuutttt there is this little matter of a point that you now owe me.   ::)
(I'm thinkin at least a 4" blade of some of that pearly white stuff you have been setting aside!)   ;)

Scott

haw haw!  Adding insult to injury!  That's just rubbing kosher sea salt into the wounds, Scott!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »
Congratulation on a great hunt and a great deer. As far as the arrowhead................finders keepers
loosers weepers. >:D
Steve Bennett

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »
It's an easy call on the arrow head. Your son's desire to keep the arrowhead is a sign of his respect for you and what you have accomplished. Let him keep it and hope that it becomes a permanent part of him. Way to go dad!
Gordon

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »
He has really enjoyed reading these post today! The point will be his for sure! I thought that finding this deer was going to be the high point of my day but it kept getting better. My son followed me all day and helped process the the deer all day till it was done and helped clean up without me even asking. I ask him at the end of the day why did you help all day long and he said that it was fun. Wow now that really made my day guys. He is really growing up fast.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:22:46 pm by iowabow »