Author Topic: First Post! New to Archery  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: First Post! New to Archery
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »
If I had to choose between a hickory flat bow or a hickory ELB(English[actually Welch] Long Bow) I would choose the flat bow. Hickory is very strong in tension(along the back of the bow) but moderately weak in compression(along the belly). A flat bow with a flat belly distributes the stresses evenly along the whole working portion of each limb. An ELB concentrated the compression stresses along the crown of the rounded belly. This works fine with compression strong woods like yew or osage but not as well with hickory.
...but, you could take JW's advise and let us help you build a bow. Read George Tsoukalas' website(at the top of the "How To" page). He has everything you need to know to get started. And, ask lots of questions. We are all here to help you with your project.
Hey Pat... don't tease the Cat  ;)
...and any how I think you mean Wesh, anyhow the derivation of the Longbow is arguable, it could well have made it's way from Scandinavia Germany or elsewhere.
Gotta be careful what you read...
TBB says Mary Rose was lifetd from Plymouth harbour >:(... it was Portsmouth... I know... I watched it come up!
Del
(Rant mode .. OFF)

I KNEW this would pop up eventually. But let's not steal this guys thread.
Clatskanie, Oregon