Author Topic: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?  (Read 11880 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »
If your bottom limbs alone are weakening its not a result of where you handle is being placed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »
In billets to bows, Glen St Charles describes his method of making the lower limb shorter.  This is on yew long bows.  With the center of the bow in the center of the handle he tillers the bow with even bend in both limbs, once he has it tillered symmetrically to full draw, he cuts 1 1/2" off the lower limb and viola, perfect tiller on asymmetrical bow. 

Glad you started this thread Toomanyknots.  I have been trying to wrap my head around the whys of a shorter lower limb.  I think it boils down to balance in the hand, like Gordon mentioned.  Good balance in the hand equates to better "point-ability" of a hunting weapon.   Makes it quick-on-the-draw.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »
I shoot three under, I have always felt the lower limb takes more abuse...so it is always a bit stiffer than the top limb. As CMB mention St. Charles BILLETS TO BOWS which was one of my first books, and followed his example.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »
i've alway made both limbs the same which make the arrow pass about 1 1/4" above center, i've never had any balence issues. i think that really just depends on the wood and your shooting style
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 06:40:48 am »
I do about like Killer Duck,I lay them out[most of the time] even from the center of the stave,then after tillering I will shoot it and then decide where the arrow pass goes,I move up and down a small amount till I fine the sweet spot for me. Never had a problem with balance in my hand,I hold on to it when I shoot anyway. :)
I truly don't think it makes any different. I think the bottom limb gets more stress when stringing it more than shooting it. I usually go 1/4 to 3/8 pos.[stiff] on the bottom limb,I don't quite understand why making them even would help keep the bottom from getting weaker over time if you are having that problem.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:30 am »
Not that I could tell from experience, but I try to make the bow so that the point where my (slightly open) hand presses onto the wood is in the centre of the bow. This is usually way above the center of the grip. It's more where my index finger touches the thumbs palm. The lower part of the grip is just where my other fingers find space. So the arrow will pass just about 1/2" over that center, shot off the nuckles.

Lately I try to just shorten the handle, since it doesn't even have to accomodate my entire hand. Actually I think 2" would be entirely sufficient. That way, the lower limb doesn't get that much shorter.

And one thing: I find it just plain ugly if the arrow is placed way into the upper half of the bow, especially on shorties. Just a matter of taste, but important to me.
Don't shoot!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:03 am »
Never on stiff handle bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
I do about like Killer Duck,I lay them out[most of the time] even from the center of the stave,then after tillering I will shoot it and then decide where the arrow pass goes,I move up and down a small amount till I fine the sweet spot for me. Never had a problem with balance in my hand,I hold on to it when I shoot anyway. :)
I truly don't think it makes any different. I think the bottom limb gets more stress when stringing it more than shooting it. I usually go 1/4 to 3/8 pos.[stiff] on the bottom limb,I don't quite understand why making them even would help keep the bottom from getting weaker over time if you are having that problem.  :)
   Pappy

I do about the same thing usually just to make sure the bow is balanced before I do the handle and arrow pass, but for the most part I lay the bow out symmetrically, and place the arrow pass about 1/2" or so above center. This ends up making the ideal arrow pass close to the center of the handle alot of the time. Which is probably not ideal,  ;D. This is one of the reasons I like cord wrap handles. It makes things more simple for me, as I can basically nock the arrow pass where ever the sweet spot is as you call it. But it's weird with me. If I draw a typical recurve draw, with a anchor point around the bottom of the chin or so, it seems like it stresses the bottom limb a bit more. On bows that I draw like this, I seem to need a stiffer bottom limb than usual. Where as on a bow that I draw across the chest, it seems to stress the limbs more evenly, and can get away without having either limb overly stiffer then each other. This is what it seems like to me anyway. That is a good point about stringing. But for the most part, if I don't use a stringer, than I string my bows in front of a big mirror to make sure I am stressing the upper limb more for this reason. Most of the time, what I will do when tillering a bow, is check with a fist melee on each limb and balance each limb until the fist melee is almost perfectly even, with maybe one side being no more than an 1/8" of an inch lower, and alot of time I try to get them closer than that. Than I will determine by drawing and shooting in the bow, which actual limb is stiffer, and make that my bottom limb. So I guess I lay my bow out symmetrically, and tiller darn near symmetrically too,  :o. I have been thinking of trying a more positive tiller, but aesthetically I just don't like it. My OCD just won't let me for some reason, haha. I have heard that on a bow with a shorter bottom limb, positive tiller is not always necessary in order to have a balanced bow? Is that true? I have a question for everyone. If you were going to lay out a 60" bow with a 4" non-working handle, and make the bottom limb shorter, how exactly would you personally do it?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:10:30 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Shaun

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:29 am »
I lay out the bow so the handle is slightly below center.  Better balance, tiller 3/16 positive. For 3 under shooter I tiller even but still keep same lay out. When I lay out bow on stave the first thing I do is find center line then decide which is bottom limb.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:33 am »
No, I don't make the bottom limb shorter. I do what Pappy does. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:26 am »
Almost never.  I think as Blackhawk said above, that if it gives you a longer workable bow blank, makes sense.  As a general practice, I don't see a big benefit.  I do what Pappy does.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:52 am »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:48 am »
I've made the top limb longer on some and don't see a diff really.Most of my arrow passes end up 1and3/4" above center of bow.Grip is mostly centered on bow.1/8" to 3/16" positive tiller.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 11:22:12 am »
  I use to build some bows with stiffer bottom limbs and some with shorter bottom limbs.  Now I mainly build stiff handleD,equal limb bows tillering the same for a good 15 years. I have never had anyone return a bow that needed retillering. And I've shot some of my bows 10,000's of thousands of shots. So I can't see building anything other than EQUALLIMB BOW'S,WITH THE LIMBS TILLERED THE SAME.
  I LIKE THE EVEN LOOK WHEN TILLERS FINISHED.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
I have made a few that way,just simpler the way I do it at least for me.The ones I did ,I just found the center of the stave and measure from center ,say for a 64 n-n
31 inches from the center to the tip of bottom limb and then 33 to tip of the top,then lay out the handle from the center line,that will give a 1 inch shorter bottom limb,if want it more than an inch just adjust the measurements. You will need to decide top and bottom limb at that point,with and even limb I usually get it to low brace and see how it feel or if it favors one side or the other and then decide on top and bottom,if nether suites me I will adjust to make it suite me with heat.  :) If you are using good seasoned wood/moisture is right/tiller is good/and is treated right when braceing it you shouldn't have much trouble with the tiller changing at least I don't.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good