Author Topic: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?  (Read 11878 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »
I do both ways depending on the bow. Most the time shorter on the lower limb but some of the shorter bend through the handle bows I'll go dead center.

I'm with Keenan

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 for me. Something about balance in the hand, arrow passing at center of bow...Well it was good enough for Glenn ST.Charles and Dean Torges!!! Anyway, I like how the bow handles in my hand and they shoot well.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 02:04:25 pm »
This is interesting.  From a letter written by Aldo Leopold in 1934.

"I have tried to build into this bow the main recent improvements in bow-design, but since some of them are not visible, they will bear mention. The square cross section and waisted handle are, of course, visible innovations, but probably less important than the new location of the geographic center. In former days this was put close under the arrow plate, but in this bow it lies as near the center of the handle as is possible without overworking the lower limb. In a 3 1/2" handle I have found this spot to be 1 1/2" below the arrow plate. Some authorities make it 1 3/4", but I know from observation that these too-modern bows never appear at two successive annual tournaments, or if they do, they are "on crutches" and ready for premature pensioning to some idle peg on the bow-rack." 

It is interesting to me that he is talking about 1/4" difference in placing the geographic center resulting in an ideal bow or an early retirement bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:06 pm »
Good post Carson. That's interesting, I'll be pondering those words all day today. Hmmm
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »
I say there are too many factors at work to readily sort them out and draw a conclusion.

First, if the arrow passes at center, the bow is not supported at center. (No two objects can occupy the same place at the same time.)

Conversely, if the bow is supported at center, the arrow cannot pass at the center. (Same logic as above.)

Second, a shorter limb of strength equal to that of a longer one will return to rest faster--less mass, shorter distance. A shorter stronger limb returns even faster. Either arrangement guarantees that the top and bottom limbs will return at different rates. Not an aid to accuracy.

Third, when we string a long bow using the push-pull method (I do and always will) we pull at the handle and push part way out the upper limb. This makes the lower limb do most of the bending. I have begun pulling  at the fade of the upper limb to  see if this prevents  the lower limb from taking an unequal set. (Check back in a year or so on this :).

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »
I have begun pulling  at the fade of the upper limb to  see if this prevents  the lower limb from taking an unequal set.

This is what I do more or less if I don't use a stringer, and yes, it does help the limbs work more evenly. Try doing it in front of a mirror. I do it in front of a big mirror every time, just to make sure it is bending evenly. It does help there is a big old mirror in the room with my bows though,  ;D.

Second, a shorter limb of strength equal to that of a longer one will return to rest faster--less mass, shorter distance. A shorter stronger limb returns even faster.

EDIT: Here's that thread I was talking about,  ;)https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=21882.0

I once noticed, when looking at videos of me shooting some of the bows I have made, that in slow motion the bottom limb always came home first. Sometimes even when the upper limb has only moved a little bit. I posted a thread about it, as it was kinda confusing? Never really figured out why at the time. Makes sense now,  ;D.

EDIT: Here's that thread I was talking about: https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=21882.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:13:24 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »
I would never have thought that stringing the bow would cause the lower limb to take set.  Obviously, the limbs are not stressed evenly during push pull stringing, but the lower limb is still nowhere near the strain it is at during full draw, right?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »
I would never have thought that stringing the bow would cause the lower limb to take set.  Obviously, the limbs are not stressed evenly during push pull stringing, but the lower limb is still nowhere near the strain it is at during full draw, right?

CMB, you may be right. I always assumed that last part to be true. Just can't think of another condition that stresses the limbs unevenly--so I'm trying this.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:34 pm »
i for one usually make my bottom limb shorter. there are occasions where i leave the bow symmetrical, but i prefer to leave the bottom limb shorter.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:13 pm »
I have begun pulling  at the fade of the upper limb to  see if this prevents  the lower limb from taking an unequal set.

This is what I do more or less if I don't use a stringer, and yes, it does help the limbs work more evenly. Try doing it in front of a mirror. I do it in front of a big mirror every time, just to make sure it is bending evenly. It does help there is a big old mirror in the room with my bows though,  ;D.

Second, a shorter limb of strength equal to that of a longer one will return to rest faster--less mass, shorter distance. A shorter stronger limb returns even faster.

EDIT: Here's that thread I was talking about,  ;)https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=21882.0

I once noticed, when looking at videos of me shooting some of the bows I have made, that in slow motion the bottom limb always came home first. Sometimes even when the upper limb has only moved a little bit. I posted a thread about it, as it was kinda confusing? Never really figured out why at the time. Makes sense now,  ;D.

EDIT: Here's that thread I was talking about: https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=21882.0

I have noticed this as well. And in some cases I will recurve the upper limb just slightly more than the bottom.
Clatskanie, Oregon