Author Topic: One of my Latest Points  (Read 16808 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: One of my Latest Points
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 09:57:36 pm »
               Hmm , I thought "percussion nappin'" was when ya sleepin' and somebody fires a gun near ya ! :o ;D ;D ;D..........bob

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 10:11:23 pm »
Thanks Cowboy, that did answer my question.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

wvfknapper

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 09:33:14 am »
Thanks everyone for the kind words........I started knapping in 2000 and recently took a 2 year break after going through a divorce,,, but I have resettled my life and back to my passion.........Cowboy, to get a decent flute the point needs to have a good  cross section like this () and get that nipple out a little from the Base and abrade it good,, also the holding technique needs to have plenty of support to keep the flute going and not break the point, I hold my pieces on the side of my leg, my thunb and first finger are on either side of the base, the next two fingers are on top of the point and my pinky finger is on the under side of the point so as the point has full contact with my hand then just catch the end of that nipple and hope for the Best :)

Robert

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 09:56:31 am »
That works Bob  ;D. More like rude awakening, try it with a 105 howitzer - youch :o ;D!!

Thanks Robert: I'm going to keep working on them babies till I can turn out something descent. Look forward to more of your work.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

MattE

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 01:08:47 pm »
Cowboy, I too broke a few nice heads trying to flute them. I finally got disgusted and started fluteing the preform then knapping the head.I know it isn't the orthodox way but it sure saved me a bunch of time.  :)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 10:30:41 pm »
Hey Matt: Tried another one today (screwed it up) am trying to split it half and  half. Get a fair point knapped out then flute it then clean it up - the fluting escapes me so far.........
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

wvfknapper

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 09:36:11 pm »
Cowboy,, What type of tool are you trying to flute with? What length of points? I am working on a couple prforms and will take a picture of the nipple and get my wife to take a pic of the holding technique I use..........The nipple needs be pronounced, and ground well plus your tool needs to be smooth to get a good bite.

Later
Robert

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 10:33:11 pm »
Paul, I snap or dive the channel flake on a lot more than I get fluted, too. I broke a nice Flint River clovis a couple days ago. I got one side fluted, and hit the second one a little too straight in-the flute dived and went all the way through. Two future bird points  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

MattE

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:55 pm »
Have you tried indirect percusion? This may give you better control of your angle.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 11:50:14 pm »
That's the only way I've been successful fluting.I've set up a good  high,ground, nipple like WV.And either use indirect percussion or straight pressure flake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 08:41:52 am »
I've only tried persussion to this point, have seen the leverage thing in use - it works wonders. Don't guess it matters to me how it's done as long as ya get desired result.
  Robert: I would like to see picture of your holding technique when ya get time. I use a kinda spider hold myself - bi-face on leg, thumb and fore finger squeezing the base, two middle fingers on top, pinky at tip, all applying preassure toward the center of peice. Think I just need to do a better jop setting up the median ridge and get the angle right.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:21 am »
This was told to me so I do not know if it works or not. Dig a whole in soft dirt. Place point in hole point down with Fluting nipple remaining above ground. Pack in loose dirt around point. Then compress it down so the point is standing vertical. Now find the right angle and knock of the flute!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

MattE

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 12:48:11 pm »
I never tried putting them in the ground,matter of fact this is the first time I have heard of this method? Two rubber pads and a clamp is the method I am experimenting with at the present time. I have a hard time holding a head and using indirect pervcusion. Just not enough hands. :)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 08:51:30 pm »
I've thought about that D - Old man Swoose did em kinda like that. He made a form or clamp of sorts to hold bi-face - he'd fill it with plaster put the bi-face in between then clamp it together (with only the base and nipple sticking out). When the plaster had set up some (not all the way) he had a pressure jig he'd squeeze it with, then pop it on top - that would produce a perfect flute every time. Anyway - that's what made me think of doing what you suggested. Same principle that you are talking about too Matt.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 08:55:10 pm »
I think a block of clay would work too. Just push it in point first and then wack the nipple sticking out of the clay block.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill