Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 251252 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #555 on: July 04, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »
96 ears of corn followed me home from the nearby Amish community, it was nice stuff and only $4 a dozen. I just finished putting the last pack of it in the freezer, It took all afternoon to shuck it, blanch it, cool it and vacuum seal it in single and double ear packs. I seal it in small packs because I live alone.

With an uncertain future for the food supply I am stocking up big time, two full freezers so far and I am about to start canning green beans.

I grow a big garden but it is not worth my time to grow corn, I have put so much manure in my garden I can't keep ahead of the weeds in a corn patch.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #556 on: July 05, 2022, 08:18:06 pm »
96 ears of corn followed me home from the nearby Amish community, it was nice stuff and only $4 a dozen. I just finished putting the last pack of it in the freezer, It took all afternoon to shuck it, blanch it, cool it and vacuum seal it in single and double ear packs. I seal it in small packs because I live alone.

With an uncertain future for the food supply I am stocking up big time, two full freezers so far and I am about to start canning green beans.

I grow a big garden but it is not worth my time to grow corn, I have put so much manure in my garden I can't keep ahead of the weeds in a corn patch.

I did a hundred ears last year. Half of it I wrapped and stacked like cordwood in the freezer. The other half was stripped off the cob and frozen in packages of 2 cups each. Picked at the peak of season, this was some  of the best corn I have ever enjoyed. I have a dozen ears left and our corn does not show up at the farmers market until the beginning of August. I may have doled out the summer gold perfectly!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #557 on: July 19, 2022, 07:32:06 pm »
I shouldn't go to flea markets, often something follows me home. Today I decided to go to the flea market at the local cattle sale barn.

I saw a couple looking at a Presto canner on one guy's table, I instantly noticed it as a large one that I didn't already have. They looked it over closely, put it back in the box and walked away.

Being canner savvy, I walked up and gave it the once over, it was in really good shape but I knew all used canners need new seals. This one didn't have a jiggler but I already have two of the exact style of jiggler that will fit this model.

I asked the guy what he wanted for it, he replied $25. This canner would sell for $150 new; I couldn't let this deal get away so I took it home with me. I ordered all new seals for the canner when I got home for $24 shipped free.

For $49 I will have the same as a new canner that I really don't need but then again, I am a sucker for good deals.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #558 on: July 19, 2022, 11:44:42 pm »
That's how I got mine for the same price, the same pressure cooker. Presto? I'm canning like crazy right now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2023, 02:12:10 pm »
I picked this up at a flea market today.  It's the very first Craftsman logo from the late 1920's known as the Sing Song Wave logo.  It's the first one I've ever seen in person.  It needs a new handle with some more curves.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:03:34 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #560 on: February 25, 2023, 03:40:01 pm »
Looks nice Clint. From pictures it doesn’t look like it has been to abused
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #561 on: February 25, 2023, 10:06:19 pm »
Looks nice Clint. From pictures it doesn’t look like it has been to abused
Bjrogg

Good eye BJ.  This one is in great shape.  It should clean up real easy.  It is still sharp too.  I used it to open a stubborn mayo packet when we got lunch today. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2023, 06:35:28 pm »
Nice find Clint, love an old ax. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2023, 12:01:28 pm »
My wife spotted this boys axe head for me at an antique market.  It's a Vaughan Sub Zero with a very clear stamp.  I found the Keen Kutter hammer.  She wants to hang it on the wall in the house with some other woodworking tools. 

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2023, 06:50:41 pm »
some nice finds
good to see ya enjoying life
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2023, 02:43:10 pm »
I need to stay away from the flea market at the cattle sale barn on Tuesdays, my weakness is for drawknives and pressure cookers. Today's find was a 12 qt Presto with all the parts including the jiggler for $10. This one needs a good cleaning on the inside with steel wool and vinegar to make it shine as well as a new seal.

I have decided that pressure cookers are the only kitchen appliance in existance that are made to last forever, I have a 75-year-old one that works just as well as a new one.

I passed on a like new drawknife because it didn't have a brand name on it which suggested it was of elcheapo Chinese manufacture.