Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 840329 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »
Skinned, fleshed an stretched 4 beavers today after checking my line, pretty much took care of the day. Took some deer hides out of the freezer, need to rack an dry a couple more an with the zero weather were getting  fiqured be a good time to keep fire going in the fur shed an work some hides. Later Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2013, 09:30:16 pm »
I got some quality work done today.  I tried splitting the bottom of this stave off along a single ring before sawing out the bow.  I really didn't need to, I just wanted to try it out on a shorter stave. 

It worked!

I got it and the deflexed stave cut out.  The shorter bow is 52" long.  I have plans on sinew backing it.  It might be my hunting bow next fall.  After I got it roughed out I chased it down 1 ring to the final back.  It took forever because the back is concave and I had to scrape it down the center for most of the length.  The ring was about 1/4" thick to. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2013, 12:38:33 am »
Clint just send that short stave on the left to me, son. Ya need my addy?:)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2013, 12:45:30 am »
Why, you volunteering to sinew it, tiller it, and send it back?  ;D

Offline Roy

« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2013, 01:23:31 am »
Would ya settle for 2 out of 3? I sinew it, tiller it, and keep the darn thing:) ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2013, 02:03:05 am »
Why, you volunteering to sinew it, tiller it, and send it back?  ;D
Now that was funny. You just moved to the top of my super hero list for the quick come back to Ol Roy

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:24 am »
Funny and quick... Two things that ole Roy hasn't been called in a long time.  >:D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Roy

« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:22 am »
Hey DVS, I gotta make a road trip today and thump ya a good one, son?:) Might as well keep going and give ole Keenan  ah thumpen too:)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:25 am »
Today, I am watching the thermometer drop out of site :o Six degrees this morning with a nasty wind a blowing -14 chill factor, I thawed out some deer hides yesterday  so today in the nice warm fur shed racking some deer hides. Sooner or later I have to go an fight the cold war an plow the driveway :'( :'( Later Bob

Offline Roy

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
Was 8 here in SW Pa this morning with some wind. But the darn oil furnace won't run, guess that's because I have the wood burner cranking:) Have hot water baseboard heat and the wood burner has a water jacket in it and I have the oil furnace and wood burner sitting side by side and piped in parallel with each other. Just love it when it's this cold outside and I'm not burning any oil.

Offline bubby

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »
yeah it's cold here too, the low this mornin' was 38%, burrr >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:27 pm »
Roy:
You ever fed that wood burner any Osage???
I burned a small stack of stave ends and knots in my fireplace insert years back.
The stuff got HOT!!!  Talking like REAL HOT!!!  May not ever burn any more.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Roy

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
Well Dave yes I have and it does burn very hot. But I only burn small pieces of what's been trimmed off, or hate to say it but I have burned pieces of BBO bows that didn't quite work out and got cut into 4 or 5 pieces. LOL

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:16 pm »
We burnt almost all osage when I was younger.  Thats all I thought it was good for until I learned about making bows.  It hurts to think of how many staves Dad sent up the chimney  :'(

Offline Keenan

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:09 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! say it's not so, Burning good bow wood????? Shame on you for uttering such words,,LOL   Got some things packaged and shipped out today.

We have been in a warm spell after the artic plunge came threw here a few weeks ago. Still cold at nights and are expecting snow again in a few days