Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 840354 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1185 on: June 10, 2013, 10:37:13 am »
I have a friend who likes to make bows out of narrow splinters of osage that most folk would throw away. He is just about out of wood so I scrounged around to see what I could give him.

First was a really rough piece I cut over 10 years ago, one mis cut with my band saw and a usable stave was reduced to a kiddie bow, haven't made that goof up in many years.

Next I had a piece of worm eaten wood I retrieved from a friend's burn pile. Looked hopeless but after I pealed off about ten rings I was left with a super nice 1 1/8' wide 65" stave, bug hole free. A little work straightening with my heat gun and the stave would be a prize in anybody's stash.

I love it when you find a gem in wood that you think is a worthless piece of firewood.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1186 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:31 pm »
Hey Guys,
Just got back a few hours ago from vacation, Didn't look on this site for over a week, wow.... did I had withdraws, got a lot of catching up to do...............I've been in Mullet country ...Florida!!! my wife and I were in southwest Florida during Andrea!  what a experience.  Before the storm came in I caught a bunch of Snook right off of the beach in the trough.  even caught a Pompano, flounder and trout.  Had a great day before that damn storm came in with the wind and rain, it was un believable, and it was just a tropical storm!  the surf was in our back yard, I could spit in it from our deck.  My wife thought the sea foam looked like white cotton candy blowing around.  I think she had one too many run drinks before lunch. She got a few pic's... I'll try and post a few later.  other than the storm had a good vacation.  back to the grind Monday. 
DBar   

Bill, it was a wet one, that's for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1187 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »
I have a friend who likes to make bows out of narrow splinters of osage that most folk would throw away. He is just about out of wood so I scrounged around to see what I could give him.

First was a really rough piece I cut over 10 years ago, one mis cut with my band saw and a usable stave was reduced to a kiddie bow, haven't made that goof up in many years.

Next I had a piece of worm eaten wood I retrieved from a friend's burn pile. Looked hopeless but after I pealed off about ten rings I was left with a super nice 1 1/8' wide 65" stave, bug hole free. A little work straightening with my heat gun and the stave would be a prize in anybody's stash.

I love it when you find a gem in wood that you think is a worthless piece of firewood.

I got one of those POC (piece of crap) scrap bows, it was made by Soy from a sliver of a scrap.  55# at 26" and it spits 720 grain arrows like darts!  One of these days I gotta put something thru a chrony to see how this thing stacks up.  Losta folks are proving it don't take much osage to make a bow these days!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1188 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:52 am »
Today my goal was to fine tune the tiller on my shorty sinewed bow and get it skinned.  With some help from a legend  ;)  ;) I got the tiller where I wanted it.  I shot it quite a bit and was happy with the performance.  I got everything ready to skin it but ended up spending the rest of the evening with the family.  We settled in for the night and it started aggravating me that I didn't get it skinned.  I have to work the next few days so it would have been nice to let it dry over that time.  So after the wife went to bed I slipped back out to the shop and got to work.  I just finished it up.  The skin is a WDB roadkill that my parents brought back from Texas a couple of years ago.  It was long and skinny so I was able to do the entire bow with it.  The pattern fit nicely on the bow.  You can see it under the string wrapping on the closest limb if you look close enough. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:55:07 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1189 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
Back in the 70s my wife(at the time) son and I hunted arrowheads almost every weekend. We had a boat and would motor up the Tn river, stopping at shell mounds washed out of the river bank and roam the plowed bean fields along the river.

We collected a pile of stuff, tools, points, pottery shards,  a few pots and a host of scrapers, crude knives and such.

Often we threw our finds in a bucket, mud and all and never looked at them again, until yesterday. Yep, yesterday.

I carried about 50 pounds of artifacts from the attic to my shop and set up a table to sort what we had found so many years ago. My now 45 year old son was up from Austin to help, I wanted to pass on the good stuff to him.

It took hours, I wish I had taken pictures, so many valuable pieces emerged from the dusty boxes, hundreds of perfect points dating all the way back to paleo, celts, axes, awls, everything.

He left this morning with the collection, I am so glad he is interested in the artifacts. I am sure he will pass the collection on to my granddaughter,  who at 8 is very interested in archeology.

Offline DGF

« Reply #1190 on: June 14, 2013, 11:34:48 am »
Very cool Eric. If your son sends you pictures be sure to post them.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #1191 on: June 14, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »
finally got the pool all good to go and BAM, the friggin' pump motor took a dump so working on changing that out, sometimes it just don't pay to get out of bed ::)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Roy

« Reply #1192 on: June 14, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
Glued up a tri lam last night. Osage, Osage, and Boo.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1193 on: June 14, 2013, 05:00:07 pm »
Bout time you start on my bow you ole coot.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1194 on: June 15, 2013, 11:56:30 am »
Yup it's your bow Charlie. I'll make it about 10 pounds at 26 inches. Think you can handle that ole timer?:)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1195 on: June 15, 2013, 03:48:22 pm »
If you can pull it you ole coot, so can I... >:( >:( >:(

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #1196 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »
Went to a bow shoot with my 10 year old daughter today we had a great time.
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1197 on: June 16, 2013, 03:02:10 pm »
Went to a bow shoot with my 10 year old daughter today we had a great time.

How'd it go? Did Haley shoot?
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #1198 on: June 16, 2013, 05:32:53 pm »
Yes she did and had a great time
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline sonny

« Reply #1199 on: June 16, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
been working on a sinew backed yew flatbow for some time now, finally decided that I'd finish it up, shoot it
a bunch this summer and hunt with it this fall. It's coming along quite nicely but I can't leave well enough alone
so, for whatever reason (tell myself that I needed to bring the weight up a touch), I cut an inch off of each tip and re-cut nocks.
I just put it aside and will continue working on it this week...or next weekend.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.