Author Topic: TX Get-Together?  (Read 21755 times)

Offline gstoneberg

TX Get-Together?
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »
Guys,

The landowner, Hugh, has put the property we held our 2 north Texas knapping get-togethers on up for sale.  It hasn't sold yet, but somebody was over when I was on my last deer hunt Saturday to look at it (for the 2nd time).  We could probably sneak in a get-together before it sells. 

Or...

I also know a farmer down near Temple in Burlington.  I rifle hog hunt there a couple times a year with a group of guys and he lets us sleep in the volunteer fire department building for a donation to the fire department.  Good people!  It comes with a kitchen too.  They're also interested in flint knapping.  The last time I was there hog hunting I made a point I left with them.  There is a local chert there, light brown and very hard.  It heat treats to a much darker brown and gets a little easier to work.  I picked up a small bucket of it in the dirt road by the fire department.

Both of those properties are available for a Texas Knapp-In.  I personally think the Burlington location is more centrally located but I like both spots and they're each 3 hours from me so it doesn't matter to me.   I need to check with my social chairperson on dates, but I'd like to  hold the get-together in late February or early March.  If you have a preference on location or dates, please post it up.  Let me know if there are other knapp-ins to be sure not to collide with. 

Of course, we could do one at each farm a couple months apart. :)  Looking forward to seeing y'all again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: TX Get-Together?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »
Either location is good for me.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »
Sure liked that last years location...
But Temple would be Half the distance for me... :)

Either way I plan to come, good Lord willing and the Creek don't Rise.
Planning on bringing some Fresh Tuna this year...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
Hey I live in College Station,  Im not sure if I can get up to Dallas this year.  But i want to meet some TX folks. Gus is there anything that goes on down our way?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
Hey Sasquatch,

If George holds a Knapp In in the Temple area that would be just around the corner from you in Colledge Station... :)

At the moment I'm living on the West side of Houston.
And though we haven't had a Houston Get Together in a while we have a few folks active in the Primitive Arts around town and we will
definitely have another Get Together Soon, Good Lord Willing. Here is a Thread about it:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16307.75.html

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
So If the Knapp In is in Temple I will probably make it.   Gus Im in Tomball quite a bit.  PM me your email we can talk. May be we  get together some time if a want.

Greg77630

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:24 am »
I'm in Houston and new to the primitive archery world but eager to learn. Temple would be best for me and I would like to attend.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:23:22 am »
Well, Temple is a longer drive for me by about 2 hours but I don't care. ;D  Besides, Temple is smack dab inside some of the best flint country this side of the Mississippi.

I will be there, regardless of location.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline seider

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »
The temple one would be a bit father drive for me considering i live about 20 miles from the one in cross plains.  Things are slow at work maybe I could make it this year. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:34 am »
Have we talked about times and dates yet?    I would love for it to be in Temple. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:37 am »
Have we talked about times and dates yet?    I would love for it to be in Temple. 
We haven't yet, but I am thinking that Temple (actually Burlington) is the right place for the knapp-in.  The reason I haven't chosen a date is that my hog hunting friends are also looking at dates for the next big hunt there and I've been distracted with that. I expect the hunt to be in the next 6 weeks.  I'm leaning towards going a little later with the knapp-in to try and hit nicer weather.  I'm open to suggestions though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:16 am »
Just let me know when. I'll bring some stone.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:11:11 am »
I'd like to make this one too guys and either place would suit me just fine. If there's rocks to be had at this Burlington location then all the better. Need more rocks like I need a hole in my head ::). Y'all just plan it up and I'll try to make it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:07:39 am »
Well, I haven't chimed in yet, because I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to make it. However, my wife and I are talking about making a trip to TX land again over our spring break (first week of April.) Don't plan around me, but if it worked out I shore would like to meet up with y'all!

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 04:42:05 pm »
As far as I know, there's no issue waiting until April for the knapp-in.  If people wanted, I could host one at Cross Plains in Feb for those who could make it...and then we could meet again in early April in Temple.

Where do you intend to stay when you're down here?  We have plenty of space if you're going to spend any time in the Dallas area.

George
St Paul, TX