Author Topic: TX Get-Together?  (Read 21922 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: TX Get-Together?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 11:37:34 pm »
That's it JW... I grew up on the water, and it Never fails to Amaze!  :)

Wish you were gonna be down here as well.

But Hope to meet ya in Tennessee... I will have Tuna with me on that trip as well...  >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 11:58:03 pm »
They say you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.  Yes you can!  You just go up and down the scale.    :o
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:05 am »
Wahoo, cut into steaks and grilled, is about as good as it gets.  That raw tuna doesn't appeal much to me.  Cook it up about any way and I'm all over it though.  Gus those are beauties.  I have got to come down and fish some time.  We talked last year but I just never got it done.  I did come down and shoot a small pig though.

OK guys, I just finalized the dates for us as March 15-17 at the VFD in Burlington, TX.  There's a decent sized parking area where a small trailer could be parked.  However, they will open the VFD meeting room to us and there are a few army cots there.  Last year the some of us slept on cots and some brought air mattresses and slept on the floor.  Plan on making a donation to the VFD for their hospitality and the utilities we use.  They're very nice people so I try to be very generous.  There is a small kitchen there, though I'd hate to see Gus not bring that awesome camp setup he has.  We'll need to bring a fire pit of some kind, as we're right at the edge of town and it is the fire department.  I believe Gene will have wood there, but I'll make sure of that as the time approaches.  If you have tarps we can use to contain most of the debitage like we did in Cross Plains, please bring them.  I'm sure there'll be more to talk about and get set up as the time approaches.

Hopefully we'll get some good weather.  I'm looking forward to seeing y'all again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 08:23:22 am »
The  16th should be good for me. Thinking its about a 5 hour rider me so  if i leave at 4 could be there by 9. Looking forward to meeting you all, is there anything that I sould bring, being my first knappin?
Knapper
David Atnip
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 01:09:43 am »
That's great David.  We'll talk more about it as the time approaches, but you need to cover what you will drink while you're there as well as a chair to sit in, flint if you have it, and of course knapping tools.  You'll need a sleeping bag and an air mattress, unless you're quick enough to snare one of the army cots, or like to sleep on the floor or in your vehicle.  If you or anybody else really wants to sleep right, there are a couple motels about 10 miles away in Cameron.  I've stayed there once.  Anybody who wants to cook is welcome, though I'm sure Gus is planning at least 1 tuna meal.  I cooked breakfast one day last year but I can't remember what I made, probably biscuits and gravy.  We'll plan out the food later.

I'm hoping somebody has one of those steel firepits we can use to have our campfire in.  The grandson of the couple who are hosting us will probably come and sit with us.  There's also a hog hunter from down there that will come and join us as well.  Should be a good time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 01:16:10 am »
Man i love those dates!  I WILL be there and hopefully with plenty of rock thanks to Tower.   I cant wait. :)

Offline Gus

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »
Only a Week Away!!!   :)

Whew Who!!!

TTT

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »
Of course I'm in.  Who else?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 10:37:26 pm »
So far I am, at least for saturday :)
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:49 am »
Ill be there, anybody want to trade stuff? I will bring some staves of ERC(clean) Elm wingged, Mescal Bean,and some cool petrified coral/agate?   I wont be able to respond much for the next week.  Ill be in hill country collecting supplies :).  There is no internet access there.  But i might be able to respond using iphone.  When it comes to food i have lots of cat fish, but with Gus's tuna that might be to much fish in one weekend.  I have some ground turkey meat, deer meat.  I could bring that.  Here is a pic of rock( it is knappable). 

Offline Gus

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:59 pm »
Well I'd be up for a chunk of Coral and a clean ERC stave.  :)
What would you need in trade.

I never underate Grilled Catfish...
Not sure I'll be deep frying this trip.
Think I might have left my stainless pot in CP last year.
Been hunting it and thinking on it, that's the last place I remember seeing it...

We should be there a week from Now!   :)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
I'm at CP now. There is a stainless pot here in the shed. If nobody claims it I'll take it home with me and bring it next weekend.

We're pulling feeders and blinds today. Sad times. I did a last hog hunt last night and killed a 205# black boar with the 6.8. Kept me up half the night.

As for trading, all I have is osage staves. I'm assuming we'll all bring flint if we have it.

See you next weekend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »
OK Gus, I laughed a bunch over your pot.  There were 2 stainless pots out there I knew of and Johnny said they were his.  I went over to clean my knives and spotted a third stainless pot sitting by the water barrel we use to wash hands and dishes.  Opened it up and it still had the oil and leftover mix on the bottom from when you used it out there.  Amazingly, it was not spoiled or rancid and appeared to be good enough to use again. :o  I'll have it all cleaned up for you for next weekend.

Here are pictures of the boar:

That's my young friend Jayden behind the pig.  It should have had nice tusks, but had broken off both sides and one had grown back to about 1".  The whetters were nice.  205lbs on the hoof.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:56 am »
I have thought about trying to make me a bow but I am also going to start making knifes so I really dont need another hobby at this point Would like a bow one day
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 12:26:52 am »
Nice hog George,  Thanks for putting the KnappIn together.   :)