Author Topic: TX Get-Together?  (Read 21795 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: TX Get-Together?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 03:36:02 am »
I'll be there.   ;D  The kids are on spring break and we have relatives in Austin and Pflugerville.  Easy peazy.   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 12:55:26 am »
Yes Sir George!
That's a fine Pig...
Too bad about the tusks, but looks like you got some nice wild pork there.  :)

I had thought that I was forgetting something during the hullabaloo of cleaning up and packing out of Cross Plains.   ???
Think I took way too much stuff last year, hard to keep track of it all...  :)
Thank You for grabbing it for me, we may have to do some frying yet this weekend.

What time are you thinking you might get down to Burlington on Friday?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
Thanks, his ribs were sure good!  Will try the sausage soon. You never know, some might show up for breakfast in Burlington...

I'll probably take a half day off and try to get down there about 4-4:30pm.  When are you planning on coming?  Also, which meals do you need me to cover?  I need to go back through the thread and see how many we're looking at.  One of my internet friends from the hog forum who lives down there is planning on attending.  Also, I think the grandson of our hosts is planning on being there if he can.  I did hear from Paul and he can't make it.  I was hoping he'd be able to come.  Should be fun anyway.

I beat my favorite bopper to death and haven't replaced it yet. :( Should have ordered a new one yesterday but I forgot.  May give you a call later this week to finalize things.  Thanks for cooking.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
Here's who I show coming so far:

Tower
Sasquatch
Knapper
Gus
Jackcrafty
and me.

Seider was thinking about it.  Paul told me he can't make it.

Anybody else?  Let me know so I can PM you a map.

EDIT: Also, do any of you that are coming have a metal fire ring, or one of the small fire pits we could use to have our campfire in?  Gene asked that we keep the fire in a ring or some other fire pit.

Thanks,
George
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:22:28 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 03:28:33 pm »
Whew George, that sounds like it was Tasty for Sure...  :)

I was thinking I might cover the two evening meals, Friday and Saturday.
At this point I'm thinking Venison Chili for Friday and Grilled/Fried Tuna for Saturday.
If that sounds good I'll whip up the Chili tomorrow so it'll have time to Rest before Friday.

Also, I have a mid size metal wash tub that I use for a fire pit that I can bring unless someone
has a Real Fire Pit.

Planning to head out of Houston Early Friday.
Can't wait to see this blasted city in my rear view.
But I don't have to hurry along the way...
Kinda like to do some wood hunting on the way up.
See if I can spot any Osage or Dogwood.   :)

- gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »
Yes sir, those were tasty ribs.  Had the sweet italian sausage in spaghetti too.  Excellent!  I picked up some polish sausage seasoning and casings at lunchtime and will do some of that too.

Sounds good.  I'll cover the 2 breakfasts for sure.  Does anybody have anything they'd like to have us cook for lunch on Saturday?

Good idea on the tub.  If somebody has a real fire pit that'd be even better.

If you leave early Friday you'll beat me there by 4 or 5 hours.  I'll have to let Gene and Ellen know you'll be early.  How much osage do you want?  Maybe I could be convinced to drive the pickup down and bring you a load.  Most of what we cut together last year is still sitting unsplit in my driveway.  You might as well have it.  I can extract some future favor from you.  >:D  And, Thomas has another straight osage tree he wants taken off his place.  Does anybody else want osage?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »
I am still working on it.  I will be off work at 3 on sat if my boy will let me I will be there it is his last weekend to be on spring break I may take him and have a daddy and hunter day sunday that is the only thing stopping me may have to take him out
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Gus

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »
Heck George, I'd be happy with any Osage you'd be willing to bring down to Burlington.
And more than happy to come cut Future Osage with you...
 :)

And I don't have to get there early... Really.
Was thinking to do some Wood Scouting on my way up...
Thinking the Dogwoods should be blooming right about now...
Might run across a place to cut some shafts or staves...

Also bringing my Trade Bow stave for viewing and discussion/guidance.
And an Osage Molly I'm working on/shooting in.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:24 am »
I'll be coming in the pickup.  So, I should be able to get quite a bit of osage in the bed.  Too bad they aren't even making the beds 6' long anymore.  What a pain for hauling bow wood??!!  Anyway, leave some room to haul wood back.  Thomas said we could cut wood any time we wanted, I just need to let him know in advance so let me know when you feel like cutting.  We could even do it on an evening after work now that the time has changed.

As far as when you get there, I'll call you when I get enroute.  Then you'll know about when I'm going to arrive.

Hope you can make it seider, but I'll understand if you can't.

Does anybody have any good Georgetown?  I don't know what I have to trade for it, osage for sure, but other than that I'll have to work on it.  A friend is looking for some.

Only a couple days left.  I'm starting to get excited.  Will be good to see friends I haven't seen in awhile...and make new ones.  I talked to Gene and Ellen today and they're planning on us.  I have an internet friend from the hog forum that's interested in knapping who is going to join us there.  Should be a lot of fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:22 am »
Yes Sir, George that sounds Great...

I'll give you a call tomorrow evening to get a final head count for Tuna's Sake... :)

One more day and a wake up!

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:39 am »
George,
Was wondering if you could PM me the address so I can put it in my garmin, maybe also your cell number just in case. Allen my friend who just started knapping is wanting to come along for thr ride. Hope that's ok.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »
Just want to let you guys know that I can't make it after all.  I've got to stay in Midland this weekend due to family stuff.  I REALLY wanted to make this one!  ARG!!

:(
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
Dang it Mr. Crafty, was looking forward to sitting with you again...  :(
But Family IS Family... :)

The Tuna will miss you too.    >:D

Heading out now, should put me there around 4:30 or so.
Got Plenty Chili (tonight) and Tuna (tomorrow night), if anybody can break away for Dinner and Rock Bustin... :)

See Y'all Soon!!!
Whew Who!!!
Hammer Down!!!   8)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »
I'm here in Burlington and just like last time there's flint in the driveway. Come join us!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
Too much going on and a bit too far for me. Maybe next time George..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.