Author Topic: TX Get-Together?  (Read 21743 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: TX Get-Together?
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »
Dang it George I feel your pain...

When I shot that flake into my wrist last weekend I pulled out the obvious piece of rock at the time then CA glued it closed.
Last Tuesday I peeled the glue off to give it a good cleaning and found that the Dark spot that I thought was dried blood was a second flake that was buried
below the first flake I pulled out at Burlington...  ::)

With a little touch up I think I'll be able to haft this flake and hunt with it in the Fall...   8)

Already looking forward to next Get Together!  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline TimH

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
Don, I just wish you'd have had a little more time.  We'll do it again for sure and everybody is always welcome.  The Klein's enjoyed having everybody there.

Tim, if I'd have known...I was back down there this past Saturday again and broke up a bunch of rock.  Only finished 2 points, both from heat treated stone I picked up in the yard there in front of the fire station.  Here's the better one.

Sadly, somebody came by and stepped on the point when I had it beside me on the ground and broke off an ear. :'(  I remade the base into a pedernales and gave it to Miss Ellen.  The other point wasn't as good, a simple stemmed point, that I didn't get a picture of.  Then I had a nice big point going from a thin perd spall until I broke the tip off it...twice.  And finally, I broke a beautiful piece of Burlington up, but not before I ran a shard of it into my pointer finger about a quarter inch deep.  Could not stop the bleeding for a long time.  I quit after that.  So, it was a tough day of knapping.   It would have been better with some company.  The hog hunting was terrible too.  The cold north wind really messed us up.  Still, better than working... :)

George

hollar at me next time you're in the area and hopefully I'll be able to break away for a bit. I forgot to mention that aside from my pile of broken rocks, I have a nice bruise on my leg to show for my efforts. haven't had any quarter inch deep cuts yet but I'd almost welcome one for a really nice finished point.  ;D

i have to get some better tools i think also. i'm wondering if that's not the reason most of my stuff is not working out very well.

nice looking point you turned out there!

what kind of material is that and what area where you hog hunting? i need to sit with some folks and take some notes.
Acts 4:12

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »
Finally got the time to sit down and finish my Texas point. Its a plainview. Had a mishap at the end of the day, so I just put all the tools up and came home. But after a day with George, and Tower. I came home, made a couple of new tools from their bag of tricks and finished the point. Hope you enjoy, and thanks again guys!
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:36 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »
I'm going to resurrect this old thread as I have some bad news.  Those of you that were there should remember Miss Ellen (as she liked to be called) and her husband Gene that were our hosts.  She passed away the day before yesterday.  I received word on Friday that she was in the hospital with stage 4 lung cancer and she passed Saturday morning before I could get down and see her one last time.  I'm sure this is weighing hard on Gene.  They're good people.  The funeral is this Wed afternoon and I plan to drive down for it.  If you think of it, send up a prayer for Gene and the family.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:03 pm »
You got it George, prayers for Miss Ellen and Gene.  Prayers for you and all their other friends, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:31 am »
Ahh, sorry to hear that George.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 09:26:45 am »
Thank you for letting us know. You bet george :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »
Absolutely George, Prayers for Gene and his family and for you as well
Knapper.
PS It was a great time meeting you all and knapping some stone. Thanks again
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:11 pm »
Dog Gone It Sir...

I sure do Hate to hear that.
I had no idea that she was sick when I had the Privilege to meet her at dinner that night at the Knapp In...

What a Great Lady...
And a Fire Brand to Boot.
There weren't many made like Miss Ellen.
The light of the World has dimmed with her Passing.

Mr. Gene and his Family have my prayers and deepest Sympathy.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX