Author Topic: Thinking about building up my knapping skills, help? Advice?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Thinking about building up my knapping skills, help? Advice?
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:52:08 pm »
I have NO idea how to start knapping or even begin at all. I've made a few points out of bone on my belt sander and that's about it. Where should I get started? I am definitely going to start with glass or ceramic tiles. Any advice on materials I can buy from lowes or other hardware stores to use for knapping?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very very new:)

Also, What tools will I need? And if so, can I make them?

Thanks in advance guys, I will now search through this whole forum for more information also!

Matt

Offline Adam

Re: Thinking about building up my knapping skills, help? Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:58:51 pm »
I'm still a beginner too, but before I did any knapping, I watched Patrick's videos on YouTube.   He has a beginner series with a ton of great info about tools and techniques.  You can find them under the name Allergic Hobbit.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:39:25 am »
We all start somewhere. I also started by watching tons of YouTube vids. Then I found this sight and that led to a Tennessee Classic visit. I made my own tools from what I saw on YouTube, found some glass and that was the start.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:33:41 am »
Any ideas on how to make some basic tools? Pictures?

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:57 am »
Here is an older picture of my tools. Copper caps, lead, & oak dowel rods. Making your knapping tools isn't very difficult.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »
Start at page 170 here in the flintknapping section and view it forward to page 1. There are a lot of great posts that relate to beginners and tools to start with. Welcome!!!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956