Author Topic: Sourwood Bow???  (Read 5946 times)

Offline huntersteve

Sourwood Bow???
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:44:54 am »
I was just wondering if anyone has used sourwood as a bow wood? I tried doing a search but didn't find any
previous threads on this....I cut down a fairly straight sourwood tree a couple months ago...split it and have been drying it out for awhile now....yesterday I removed the bark....I'm sure I'll have to put a backing of some sort on this bow...I would like to end up at about 60-62" and 40-50 lbs......anyone have any advice or suggestions? thanks....steve
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:32:04 am by huntersteve »
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Sourwood Bow???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:26:59 am »
I remember seeing a sourwood bow on the old PA board, seems like the guy who made it was happy with it. I don't see why it would need backing, sourwood is pretty strong stuff. I would make a standard design flatbow for medium-weight hardwoods. If you have a 28" draw, I would probably go 66" ntn, 1 3/4" -2" wide fades to midlimb tapering to 1/2" nocks. You could also try a 60"-62" bend-through-the handle Eastern Woodlands-style flatbow about 1 1/4" wide. It should work with either design. I have a sourwood stave kicking around somewhere that Pat B gave me a couple years ago, but haven't tried making anything out of it yet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:50:32 am »
Thanks Hillbilly....this will be my first bow from a stave...I've only done a couple of board bows before now....the sourwood stave that I'm going to use is only about 62" long....are there any build alongs you know of that I can follow for the width's and thickness's for the type of bows that you mentioned?? thanks for any help...steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline white wood

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:57:46 am »
steve do you have any of the bowyers bibles? i believe the first one has a bunch of info on a bend through the handle bow. ive built a couple bows that bent a little in the handle and they are nice shooters. if built right you can get minimal hand shock and a good shooting bow. ive heard patb (i think its patb) talk about sourwood SHAFTS and how hard and strong they are so i bet it would make a great bow. good luck, whitewood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:04:57 pm »
thanks White Wood....no I don't have any of the Bowyers Bibles yet....maybe I can order one soon...I'm also in the process of making some sourwood shoot arrows right now...I'll try to post some picks soon...thanks for the help...steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:25:13 pm »
Steve, I have a stave of sourwood but never made a bow from it. As Steve said, someone on PA did make a bow a few years ago and if I remember correctly, it came out good.
Sourwood shoot arrows are my favorite. They are very tough and make a heavy hunting arrow.    Pat     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 10:14:06 pm »
Pat...do you think I will need to put a backing on a sourwood bow?? If so what would be best to use....steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:27:01 pm »
I'd try it without first. Use whats under the bark for the back.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 04:17:56 pm »
I made a sourwood bow when I first got into archery. It was naturally deflexxed, had way heavy tips, way over spined arrows, and poor tillering, and still was a shooter. I haven't gotten around to using it now that I actually know how to make a bow, but I wouldn't hesitate. Actually, there is a tree out front... >:D.

And sourwood shoots make the best arrows I have ever tried :). I've put sourwood blunt arrows through boards before. Tough, heavy, and really great flyers ;D.