Author Topic: 90# + MR pattern in ash  (Read 34118 times)

sagitarius boemoru

90# + MR pattern in ash
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:43:46 pm »
I do have some experience in making these in whitewood, but they need to be somehow different in terms of taper and width 2 depth ratio .

This is one I made recently, its quite close to MR shape.

Its more like 95# than 90# at 32´´  but what the heck. You can also see that string follow was not an issue. Though If I ll be making this for myself it would be 3´´ shorter and heat treated and tilered alot, so it will end up 1/4 lighter in mass.
If you want to make one in ash, find wood which barelly floats and you are there. It does shoot around 190 meters with 50 gram arrow, which is something I espected. My shooting buddy Rob makes shorter version of 100# warbow like this out of ash, more narrow  and he is getting distances in terms of 200 meters and more.

Jaro
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:00:44 pm by sagitarius boemoru »

SimonUK

Re: 90# + MR pattern in ash
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:23:55 pm »
Beautiful bow sag. I think ash is totally under rated.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 06:28:52 pm »
  Fantastic looking bow,Jaroslav.I have a good looking piece of ash you've inspired me to work on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:21:23 am »
Thats a really nice bow Jaro. I like ash allot. Have made several bows out of ot nd think its a fine wood. Any chance you ahve a full draw?

What where your rings like on that piece? What depth to width ratio did you use?

I have a pice right npow that I am ready to lay out.

SJM

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:37:28 am »
That is a cool looking bow - don't know how you guys get them to bend so perfectly, those are some pretty tips too.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:43:43 am »
It has not extremelly thick rings, but its quite heavy wood. I think it must be in SG 0.85 . It comes out sligtly flatter than similar bow in yew, when one starts with width tapper. This is 34 mm wide, but with the same width you could as well end up with 130# if you just ignore how the wood reacts to stress.
I also start with squared stave first, then plane down the corners and round them (on back) and plane downt the facetes from belly to sides and then round the part from facete to facete, thus having the typical "small flat surfaces on sides" MR profile to start with. It is very systematic approach and I think they worked the same way.

Jaro

SimonUK

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:49:20 am »
How long is the bow sag?

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:40 am »
Something like 74´´ or 75´´. I rarelly measure anything when I m making bows. I m having patterns for working with laminated staves, but that is of no use for split staves.

Jaro

SimonUK

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 05:43:42 pm »
Wow! I have trouble avoiding set on an 80 inch ash bow.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 07:00:58 pm »
nice bow Jaro. Beautiful workmanship on the nocks.

Rod

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:36:14 am »
Nice. I would like slightly less give in the handle and like to see the tips come round a little more. And do I see a homage to the master in the style of the horn nocks?

Rod.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 08:06:52 am »
Oh Rod, there is no shame to copy the best work around.  ;D   I get better as I make more of them, sometimes I make slightly better than these when I put them on laminated stave.

Jaro

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 09:00:15 am »
Very nice Jaro. The Ash I've harvested up here would not be up to the task
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 09:07:04 am »
Still, it's Victorian nocks :P

A friend of mine recently told me that Hungarian ash is another species than the regular european ash.

Good looking bow, and nice round tiller!

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:15:57 am »
It is not. >:D  There is more than one style to victorian nock, but if you look at the woodcuts of Henry the VIII. meeting the emperor Maxmilian the archers around have all those curved hornnocks in very similar shape like this. And that is beginning of 16. century.

Jaro