Author Topic: Pretty sure this is Mullberry am I right ? (tree id)  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pretty sure this is Mullberry am I right ? (tree id)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 12:18:53 am »
If the wood is harvested, prepared and stored properly until seasoned so the sapwood doesn't have a chance to begin deteriorating then the sapwood can be used. I have built mulberry bows with all sapwood, 50/50 sap/heart wood, heartwood with a sapwood backing and all heartwood. They all worked well but the more sapwood on the bow the thicker it will be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 01:15:12 am »
So just leave a ring or two of sap wood on for contrast
I like free stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 01:23:06 am »
Red mulberry alright.  Personally I'd rather have the fruit every year than the stave.  Before you cut it look around for some male mulberry trees, which don't produce fruit (I read that on the internet. lo).  If I was you I'd cut the male trees instead of the females.  The fruit is is very good when ripe.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:48 am »
yup thats it. Mulberry is an awesome wood. My favorite wood to work with, its very elastic and not as heavy as osage so its great. Im not particularly fond of the sapwood though but the heartwood is awesome.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »
Good advice all the way around I appreciate everyone in this forum ! its a wealth of knowledge. I have a lot of Mulberry trees around my property and a lot of them producing fruit. The only problem is that they are all very small and wirey...could be due to the fact that it is a semi-swampy area. The one I am planning on cutting has a very straight and knot free sectionabout 7' long and 5" across. I am glad to hear that mulberry sapwood can be used since this stave would be a little small to make it completely out of heart, plus I will like that contrast ! I'll post some pics tomorrow when it is cut and on the ground. PS i'm also planning on letting it dry with the bark on and the ends sealed, does this sound like a good idea?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:12:27 pm »
If you let it dry with the bark on it will be a pain in the ass to get off later . If you decide to take the bark off now make sure you seal the whole log I made a mistake with mulberry once of peeling the bark off and not sealing it and ended up checking all over
I like osage

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »
Roger that bark will be coming off ! Thanks
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »
Ok.  So it's established that it is Mullberry. ;)

I've not honestly harvested wood specifically for bow making.  I have far large format carving (Search "carving Benedict in Maple" on Youtube.  that came froma log of maple that was hip high on it's side).

This is what I would do.

cut out the straight sections.  Longer is better but even if you have some that are "short" you can splice them so after the longest premium sections are cut look for anything 36" - 40" and cut those out also. 

Depending on size I would quarter the log at least and leave the bark on.  Put it in a garage or basement or something where it can dry but not TOO fast.  Keep it off the ground and paint the ends with cheap latex paint and possibly give it a mist of insectocide.  Some carvers will wrap the wood in plastic and fume it with paint thinner to suffocate what ever may be in or under the bark.  I haven't done that and never had a problem with anything that I dried in the garage and off the ground.  If you see signs of insects kill em as mentioned above.  I sprayed my wood with paint thinner... Grubs come running out of the holes and then die.  That was a log of oak I started drying outside.

After several months the wood will shrink and the bark will naturaly seperate... or at least that has been my experience.

Unless you don't have access to a large bandsaw and or prefer to split it down to wedges I would quarter saw it into 1 3/4 (or so) slabs or "flitches".  (there are attachments for chainsaws that do a great job of this on Ebay for $20.00).  When you stack the wood to dry put skinny spacer between the boards. The thinner pieces will dry faster.  The Quarter sawing recudes the tensions as it shrinks with reduces cracks and such.  It may be able to be roughly split in a quarter sawn fashion.. I have never tried.

When it is dry  you have a slab of bow blanks and backings.  Pop off the bark and band saw from the bark edge the core or belly pieces you want by either cutting them straight and planning to back them OR follow a grain line +2 or 3.  Each blank will have idealy oriented grain.

There is video on YouTube under Bickerstaff bows "how a bow is made" vid# 3 or 4 I think.  He's talking about hickory but the concept is the same.  It is a pretty efficient use of wood I think.

BTW that "V" splice is plenty strong and much faster/easier than a "W" splice.

Just my$.02

now... How do I get my hands on a segment say 36-40" long?

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 11:21:26 am »
Ok so I cut this one down...this stave is coming out of the middle portion of the tree, the bottom 4 ft were not useable. You guys were sure right there is way more sapwood than Osage, maybe this is bacause it is coming out of the middle portion of the tree. This log is almost 4" across do you think this will make a usable bow since it will almost all be sapwood ?

Thanks for the input !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:40 am »
4" across

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »
I think so.

Where is the change from sap wood to heart wood?  I don't think that dark spot is all there is of the heart wood.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
From what Im seeing that dark spot is the only heartwood there is no differentiation in color anywhere else in the rings...From what I have been reading on Red Mulberry not many people are using more than one ring of Sap on the back.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
I'm confused. That irregular dark heart does not look like mulberry heartwood to me, which should follow one annual growth ring more or less. The color is also off? I've never worked with mulberry, but now I'm really confused :P Just for clarification...are you 100% sure the wood pictured above is from the same tree that produced those fruits and leaves pictured in the opening post on the previous page?

By the way, even 100% mulberry sapwood bows have been made. It's better to use the heartwood, but if sapwood is all you got, go ahead. It'll just result in a slightly fatter and wider bow, as compared to the heartwood. But it can still make a nice bow!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 10:13:52 pm »
Yeah it's really weird when I cut the tree down I was expecting to see Normal heart/sap differentiation but it's not there. I am 100% sure it's the same tree the part above this stave was full of mulberries in various stages of ripeness. On the other end of the log there is better sap/heart difference. Oh well screw it I'll build it and see what happens once it's cured

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 10:19:04 pm »
Wow a really clean stave and yes it will work fine to use the sapwood just might end up with alittle more string follow but if that was my stave I would not hesitate to make a bow with it
I like osage