Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 284757 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:03 pm »
Wow, I need to quit making assumptions I guess.  I was thinking that the cleaned up post Justin made was good enough - I loved it

Just to be sure, you guys have seen Justin's Tutorial version of Gordon's build along, right?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

-m
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Gordon

« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2008, 01:07:40 am »
That sounds great Mike. I will have several friends who will download it immediately. Thank you so much for doing this.
Gordon

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2008, 10:19:14 pm »
I just found this thread after being away from this site for some time consumed with other projects, work, and life.

But I gotta tell you gordon you are an inspiration.
I have admired your bows and your craftsmanship for a long time and never commented on any of them up til now. However, now I have to say thanks. I know you have received a lot of praise on this build along and on your bows over time but I wanted to add my voice to the many thanks and praises you have already received.

I learned a lot from this build along. It is great to see a master craftsman at work and the pics are worth a thousand words. I know it probably slowed you down in you build process but you sure helped me and I'm sure a ton of others like me who often read and rarely comment. I know my attempts at building bows will improve because of some of the things I have seen in this build along. Once again thanks much. I hope to one day be 1/2 the artisan and bow builder that you are.

Thanks
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

wanabehunter

« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2008, 05:12:37 am »
Once again I can only say Wow it is quite possibly the most beautiful bow Ive ever seen.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:44 pm »
Now thats a beauty.  Excellent work.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2009, 10:29:16 pm »
wow that is some very good detailed work really like the golf tee trick. i just learned a world of info from you. thanks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline chrisargao

« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2009, 03:21:19 pm »
 I'm a guy from Philippines who wish to inter in this business, I learn a lot of things on bow making,Gordon,thiis is my very first time. I saw the whole process on doing this snakeskin backing. I got a technique, I learn a lot of things on doing this. Thank you so much

Offline Broken Hand

« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:36 pm »
    very nice buildalong, I enjoyed every bit of it, and learned quite a bit too. thanks for all your effort. You're a true craftsman.    Brokenhand ....Aho.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #233 on: December 27, 2009, 10:07:51 pm »
Thank You for sharing such a fabulous bow with us. Your workmanship is truely a work of art! The amount of information in this build-a-long is unbelievable. Your love of the craft is so very visible in this finished bow. Just beautiful! Thank You again.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2009, 06:24:27 am »
Just seen this build along.
Thanks for taking the time to share, I know how long it can take to photograph and write up a piece like this.
Bravo, wonderful bow, and you do a great job of showing your working methods.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »
I didn't think that folks were still reading this post so what a nice surprise. Thank you all for the compliments!
Gordon

Apprentice

« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »
I didn't think that folks were still reading this post so what a nice surprise. Thank you all for the compliments!

I'm new here and just found this yesterday. It helps, thanks.

Offline Luffchylde

« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2010, 02:13:21 pm »
Gordon,
 I just joined the site yesterday (was approved today), and found your tutorial. I was feeling a little silly because I have two pine boards for practice, and then bought a HUGE purpleheart board for $45. This was after telling my husband I didn't want to buy any expensive wood until I was sure I wanted to do this. I thought he'd shoot me.
 After seeing your build-a-long, I am quite smitten before ever touching the wood. I will, of course, have to get a band saw. I can't imagine not sticking with this after seeing the step-by-step here. You have made this completely accessible to me, as I know very little about woodworking, and you have my thanks.
Sincerely,
 Deb Keough
 Montana

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2010, 09:56:14 am »
This is one of my all time favorite posts, I lose track of the number of times I've come back and looked at this.

Oddly, Today, I can't see any of the wonderful pictures. Is it just me? I don't even see html code for the image links.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

HatchA

« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2010, 06:15:59 pm »
You have made this completely accessible to me, as I know very little about woodworking, and you have my thanks.
Sincerely,
 Deb Keough
 Montana

I have to echo what Deb says.  Seeing a stave or board...  and seeing the finished bow that comes from it - that can be more than a little daunting for a newbie.

I love the build-alongs because they get down to the nitty gritty and explain in layman's terms how each step is worked through in preparation for the next step.  Really very much appreciated, guys.  I'll try to keep it going ;)

Steve.