Author Topic: unbacked erc character bow w/ whitetail horn nocks "Gerty"  (Read 20450 times)

Offline Brian Hoffer

Re: unbacked erc character bow w/ whitetail horn nocks "Gerty"
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
Beautiful bow, I love the character of the holes and colors of the wood.  Good work!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:34 pm »
WOW,that's a thing of beauty!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
That's awesome  :) :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 02:43:31 am »
Thank you very much fellas!  I really appreciate the kind words!
Parnell- nope, I sure haven't made one.  I've considered it a time or two and even went so far as to round up some bamboo, but that's as far as it got.
Thanks Marco and don't forget to hold your mouth just right when you go to tillering ERC! ;)
Grady- ditto what I just said to Dubois!
Pappy-no one is more amazed than me!  Lol!
Paul- that is a very generous offer!  Thank you very much!  Unfortunately, its not looking like Mojam is gonna work out for me this year, but thank you anyway sir!
BH, BB, YA- I'm pretty partial to the beauty of erc too!   Thanks again everyone!  Josh

Oh yeah!  Lest I forgot.......kiss my donkey Soy! :o >:D :P. Lol!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow. Nice character.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 05:59:22 pm »
Josh I read this whole tread expecting to finally read where ya said " . .  and then it blew up on me."  But it never came.  The whole time I kept thinking that is a wonderful looking bow and he has handled the character extremely well, but he'll never get it to full draw. 

But then ya did.  And obviously have done so again and again. 

Well, I used to say unbacked cedar bows are a lot like bigfoot.  Lot's of stories out there, but not much proof.  Thanks to you I now have proof.  She's a beauty!

Now it seems like a saw a tall limb free cedar tree trunk somewhere. . .

Offline Josh B

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:07 am »
Cippy- gracias Amigo!

SM- thanks man! I appreciate it.  It really wasn't that tough to do.  The double holes had to be handled carefully.  I could only tiller one hole at a time, because you want the wood on both sides of each hole sharing the load equally.   The only way I know to do that is to pay attention to side to side tip deflection.  If both holes were bending, there is no way to tell which side of which hole is weak or strong.  Tillering one hole at a time so that the tip doesn't twist one way or the other is pretty easy.  But I never would have pulled it off trying to do them simultaneously.  As far as the clean trunk goes, I've always had better luck with limbs.  IMO the trunk wood is not quite as strong in tension.   Good luck and thanks again! Josh

Offline jim mason

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:01 am »
i will vote for no.6 very nice