Author Topic: 60 yr old Osage help!  (Read 6265 times)

ftanner

Re: 60 yr old Osage help!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »
As for the basement...inside, finished...so a constant temp and humidity year round. Here are both sides of the bark. The first is the one posted earlier. Also, where can I get my hands on some more Osage to practice? I live in nc and I've never seen it growing. This is from Illinois. Thanks!

Offline rps3

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
It looks to me as if that stave was sawn in half instead of split. There may be a good bit of grain run off. Peel the bark and sapwood off and have a look, you might have enough wood left to foolow the grain as you lay out your bow.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:06 pm »
Its hard to make it out on my phone screen, but it doesn't look that bad full length.  I'm sure someone using a computer will chime in on the twist.  Either way, definitely get some experience under your belt before tackling that special piece.  As far as getting some Osage, try the trading post on this forum.  If you go the evilbay route, I have had great luck with le-enterprise out of tecumseh NE.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 01:55:48 pm »
Its hard to make it out on my phone screen, but it doesn't look that bad full length.  I'm sure someone using a computer will chime in on the twist.  Either way, definitely get some experience under your belt before tackling that special piece.
+1
That's a tricky stave for even an experienced bowyer.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »
+1 on the referral to LE Enterprises off evilbay.  Lotsa folks on here have had very good experiences with his wood.  I have never heard of anyone having a bad transaction with the guy.  And as you know, one p.o.'d customer makes a hundred times more noise than the average guy makes about a good transaction. 

Start with a stave that has no deep emotional connection, heck, go ahead and wreck it to get it out of your system if that's what it takes.  Make a few, break a few, then tackle this stave. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 06:08:42 pm »
If your close to brevard,nc go raid pats stash ;)  :laugh: ....or better yet go pay him a daylight visit and learn the ways of the bow from a ole school seasoned veteran ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »
Only one way to tell what the MC really is, I have checked a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be dry and wasn't. I have the pin-less type of moisture meter, very accurate.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:11 pm »
I agree with Pat, Blackhawk, OO, and the rest that said try another stave and save it, after the first you'll be addicted ready to start another, you'll know when your ready to start the perfect stave.     I started on a cool stave to start with and ended up with nothing but fire wood.  Take it easy, and get your feet wet......... I wish I had.  But there's always another perfect stave.  I bet the very best bowers have never found that perfect stave.  We're all still looking for it.
Just my experience... for what it's worth.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
That is a tough looking one, but there is a good shot at a selfbow in the side opposite the big knot !
Practice up first !
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline chamookman

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 08:48:48 am »
That is a great piece of wood + the Karma that comes with it. Do Yourself a favor and put it away (don't worry about moisture content - it's well seasoned already I'd say  ;)). Get some other Osage, some basic tools make a couple three bows and gain some OSAGE experience, and when You feel confident enough THEN give it whirl. There's at least bows hiding inside that piece - best of luck, Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:41 am »
   Since it's from your granddad to me it me a special peice of wood. You hav'nt bult many bows. HolD off to get a little exsperance, YOU'LL END UP WITH A TYPE OF BOW YOU REALLY LIKE. It's not going anywhere and you beglad you held off.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

ftanner

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:53 am »
Not too far from Brevard...I'm new here...can someone fill me in on who Pat is? Thanks

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:21 am »
Pat B is his handle name..send him a pm cus he hasn't seen this apparently yet..he's a moderator on here and a wealth of knowledge to learn from cus he's been doing this for many many moons...and a nice guy to boot who likes to help folks out....

@pat if ya see this...sorry for volunteering ya ;)  :laugh:

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
I agree with PatB set it aside for the future and get some more experience.....thats what I would do......also I think there may be two bows in there.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 11:27:09 am »
If you ruin that beautiful piece of wood, I swear I will find you.
 :laugh:
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...