Author Topic: ABO tool talk  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Will H

Re: ABO tool talk
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:10 pm »
Well I made my punch and dressed up that monster moose billet Joe York gave me at the classic. I'm gonna give it a go for a while. Well see what happens.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »
Cool vid John.  Can't wait to see you all's points.  Exciting, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 06:49:45 pm »
John, I dug out my moose billet an a deer horn bopper and got some less quality rock out an made a few rough preforms. Here are a couple of my observations on difference between soft copper and antlers. My flakes seem to be much longer an thinner actually had a couple of overshots, bulb of percussion is much smaller. I did very little abrading, It seemed that to get a flake I had to hit higher on platforms than I'm used to, maybe not sure of where the edge of antler billets are in comparison to my copper. It also seemed as if I had many more hits before flake would release. It also seemed as if I lost width faster an didn't get thin quick enough, probably because of the much thinner flakes. Anyways I had alot of fun an was surprised with my results, need to make me some kinda antler tip pressure flaker. Later Bob

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:56 pm »
Y'all are starting to relight the fire of desire in me to try n  bust rock again...except to put away that crapper bopper n go with the real tools...it just seems more natural and right to do it abo style...hmmm?  ::)    (I'm a lurking)

Go Will go ;)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:09 pm »
Hehehehe, more converts to the dark side.   >:D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:01:49 am »
I'm lurking, too.  Actually, I even started playing around with ABO stuff and think I might like it better.  I got me an elk antler bopper.  Made a deer antler punch and am working on pressure flakers and Ishi stick.  We're going for a coral run tomorrow.  Let's see what I can come up with...
1’—>1’

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:31:04 am »
I sense your starting a mini abo revolution here john.....keep preaching brother..lol :laugh:

Are you getting the thinner flakes because the antler doesn't send as massive of a "shockwave" thru a platform? If anything I see it just adding to your bag of tricks,and there might be better times to hit it with an antler than copper?? Just guessing? It seems like platform prep is a big key to it as well?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 11:34:40 am »
Tell you what I don't have is an ABO abrader.  You guys using sandstone?  Any good ideas where to pick that up or any alternatives?  I've been using some of that blue saw sharpening wheel stuff that went around from Shannon.
1’—>1’

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
This may sound crazy, but I in fact only use 1 tool to knap arrowheads and knives.  Its a piece of antler that I use for a billet and a pressure flaker.  It works very very well.   8)
This is crazy that you say this because last night I was thinking of making a really fat Ishi stick with a small bopper to see how the flakes would run. I am not sure how you notch unless you are using a tine or sharpin a part of the bopper.
  :laugh:
My bopper is made out of antler and when I'm knocking off a flake, I'm holding my pressure flaker, and when I'm using my pressure flaker, I'm using my billet.  I'll have to post pictures!
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »

Beautiful work. 8)  Thanks for the tips.  My notching kinda stinks.  Ok, there is no kinda to it, it stinks! :(  I would love to see a detailed video of the notching process.  Like angle, platform, pressure, etc. 

Wayne

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
Thanks for the beginner's lesson and pics, John!  Enjoyed our telephone conversations!  Yes, like Parnell & Blackhawk I've been lurking too and very interested in spending more time learning the craft.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:49:48 am »
Grabbed n antler n started breaking it in on some scrap pieces Fri eve ..didn't make anything,but I know I liked it more than the copper...seemed more forgiving to me?