Author Topic: What do you use as arrows?  (Read 14272 times)

Brokestick

Re: What do you use as arrows?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 09:59:43 am »
I think I'verun into some diseased wood.  I found some yesterday that seemed a whole lot sturdier.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 10:44:15 am »
Sometimes Ill see some that gets a black stripe while drying.  It is usually garbage.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Loki

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 07:58:26 pm »
I've just finished a set of POC arrows what turned out quite nice,but if i want to make something special (Livery arrows) i use Poplar wood,nothing as pretty as a 1/2" Poplar Bobtailed War Arrow  >:D.
Durham,England

Brokestick

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:57:13 pm »
I just cut some palo verde to experiment with.  It has that kinked growth like mesquite, but not as pronounced.  It had me curious because it likes to send up long shoots with no side branches.  The thorns were a whole lot like mesquite.  Anyone ever tried it?

snakebow

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 11:14:27 am »
I've been useing cherry for the past 3 years and love it. They are heavy and usually require no straightening.

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:56 pm »
POC for matched sets and cane and bamboo for primitive arrows. I love the canes but can never get a perfect matched dozen.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 09:44:30 pm »
i've used just about everything east of the mississippi for arrows but i always hunt with cane. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 07:51:11 am »
I use any shoots that grow straight enough and thick enough for an arrow. Just walk through the woods  with a knife. hahahaha
knapp 'um if you got 'um

theredbarn

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 05:54:21 pm »
Here in the Pacific North Wet (AKA- WA state) I've been using a lot of Alaska Yellow Cedar. It splits almost as well as Red Cedar but it's a lot stronger.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 01:47:51 am »
I usually use purchased POC for matched sets to use at 3D shoots, but I've made arrows from scratch using western red cedar, sitka spruce, douglas fir, cane/ bamboo, witch hazel, some really good stuff I found in a neighbor's curb side garden waste pile ( wish I knew what it was cause it worked great) and purchased shafting of fir, ash, cherry, spruce, lodgepole pine and that hex glued pine from canada.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Hartung

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 04:18:19 am »
I live in central Europe and have only bought pine arrow shafts once in my life. I don’t’ have the money to buy them any more but also like to make them myself with traditional arrow wood. I use the plants that are growing nearby. I preferably use dogwood, viburnum and Phragmites australis.

Dogwood because of its strength and availability and because it’s an historical arrow wood. Viburnum for the raison of it’s histories in Neolithic archery and because it’s light and strong. With viburnum it is however not easy to find straight shoots. In autumn I enjoy collecting thick walled Phragmites australis. I like it because it is super light and super fast and stays straight once straightened.

But as bootboy put it: one could use any shoots that grow straight enough and thick enough for an arrow. I just don’t have the time to try all of them  ;)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 12:25:51 am »
  It's Bamboo and Cane for me.That's about all I've been using.
Amen!   ;D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.