Author Topic: Pro and con of a 1) cut in shelf VS 2)No shelf  (Read 10214 times)

Offline RT

Pro and con of a 1) cut in shelf VS 2)No shelf
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:02:10 pm »
Hi, Would like to get some views on the pro and cons.......

Does any one of these design on the handle impact on shooting? Spine?..........etc.

Thanks you in advance for your inputs. I have added pics on what i actually mean.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline RT

Re: Pro and con of a 1) cut in shelf VS 2)No shelf
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:03:48 pm »
This is a no shelf example, shoot off the hand.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:49:22 pm »
  I think if your arrow making skills are lacking;you need to cut  a shelf on your bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:35:24 pm »
Every bow is inherently accurate. With properly spined arrows even the archer can be accurate. ;)
     The bow with the shelf cut in should be less critical of arrow spine than the other but as thin as the other is, it might be closer to center shot than the one with the cut in shelf. The arrow is a more critical part of the equation than the bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:08:29 am »
pro's of a near center shot arrow shelf.
1.)Its way easier to get arrows to fly good out of a bow with a near center shot shelf. (Less critcal of spine.)
2.)Its more acurite, since the arrow is always in the same spot. (you cant move you hand and change the nock point.)
3.)its easier to keep a arrow nocked and at the ready while on stand hunting.
con's
1.) If not done correctly it can make a weak spot on the bow, where the arrow shelf is. (handle not thick enough to much bend.)

pro's of no arrow shelf.
1.)The only advantage that I can think of to not having a shelf that would be its easier to make, and would actualy be a nesesity for a bend through the handle or D bow.
Con's- see list of pro's for a cut shelf......

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:15:52 am by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:08:12 am »
With a cut-in shelf you can make it centershot and shoot carbons and other manufactured high spine shafts.  I have built this style  mostly for glass bow/target archers, but in the purist sense of this craft, I think its a bit of a compromise. I have only one bow with a small shelf, but all my other personal bows I shoot off the hand for the simple reason that its not hard to place your hand in the same spot each time, and I like how the lines of the bow handle isn't interrupted by the shelf..

Offline RT

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:52:24 am »
Thanks for all the inputs, I believe I have a better understanding now, Cheers! RT ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:37 pm »
I do about 50/50 between shoot off the hand and cut in shelves. Some feel a cut in shelf on a primitive bows is an abomination! I tend to prefer them for target and hunting. Steve

Adam Keiper

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:18:47 am »
I'm in the camp that cringes when I see a cut-in rest.  I also think it's more more work to create and neccesitates added thickness at the arrow pass, which neccesitates a longer dip (longer bow) than without.  And if you get into making heavy hunting weight bows, you need to be very careful that you don't create a weak spot in constructing such.

I really like bulbous grips, which reduce to about 3/4" wide at the arrow pass, so the arrow is only 3/8" from center.  To maintain a consistent arrow placement, I do like to glue on a leather shelf, built up from 3 layers of latigo.  Such a shelf is quick and easy to make with a hobby knife, grit 80 sandpaper, and Barge cement.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 01:01:08 am »
...and Mickey's floppy rest is even better.  I always used a shoe leather rest/locator but now prefer the floppy rest...on a bulbous handle. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:01 am »

I've only made one bow with a cut in shelf, and am currently working on another. I don't think it's that much more trouble to make one really. I would leave the handle full width equalling the limb width until after tillering is complete. You then know for sure which is the top limb of the bow and how the bowstring runs along the handle. It's simple to then leave more wood opposite the shelf to ensure handle strength. :)

I can't really think of any con's other then cosmetic for those that feel it's outside the primitive circle.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 11:22:18 am »
I agree with Greg. It is easy to cut a shelf and has no drawbacks except some thinking it isn't "primitive".  And since most guys aren't making their bows with stone tools why get so worked up over having a shelf. I like shelves personally.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 11:59:59 am »
I prefer a center shot bow with shelf but do not care for a cut in shelf such as you would see on a glass bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 01:10:53 pm »
Marc, do you happen to have a pic of the kind of shelf you describe in your previous post? I'd like to see how you do it.
Gordon

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 02:31:33 pm »
Not a pro or a con but does anyone know if there is any evidence of a primitive bow with a carved out shelf? IMHO.....its one of the thinbks that distinguishes a bow between a "modern self bow" and a true primitive weapon. I strive at primite bows therefore...no shelf.

Like I said, not a pro or con in performance but should be a consideration when making a bow that you believe to be primitive.

I seem to remeber reading that there was one primitve example of a carved in shelf? Anyone know?

SJM