Author Topic: Getting horn laminations from gemsbok horn.[Pics added]  (Read 55299 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Getting horn laminations from gemsbok horn.[Pics added]
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »
Thanks Pat.I know your no stranger to posting build-a-longs.I don't doubt other glues can be used.I can just vouch for hide glue and smooth on epoxy.There really is a broad choice out there.One key thing to remember I think is to get the glue line thin without starving the joint dry.That's why sizing is so very important.Too thick a glue line and it becomes too brittle.Keep it flexible.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 09:54:45 pm »
Beadman,    My horn bow experience is still limited, but I, too, have had successful bows with Hide Glue and Epoxy, so I'll second you on that.   The one korean bow that delaminated on me delam'd  at the horn / core interface but the glue showed no signs of cracks.  It was a rather thick glue line ( as is typical of Korean bows) so I don't think sinew glue is very prone to cracking.  Surface prep to remove all contaminates is (in my opinion) more important.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:43 pm »
Yea M-P keeping things free of grease,oil,and dust is a must.My horn bow experience is limited too.Especially asiatic types anyway.After the horn and wood core is grooved before glue up I don't handle it without wearing cotton gloves and still resurface it fresh before glue up yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:24 pm »
Yea M-P keeping things free of grease,oil,and dust is a must.My horn bow experience is limited too.Especially asiatic types anyway.After the horn and wood core is grooved before glue up I don't handle it without wearing cotton gloves and still resurface it fresh before glue up yet.

Yeah, I haven't always done that, but I'm starting to get real paranoid about the whole issue of clean faying surfaces.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »
Just with the two bows I've prepared so far I didn't let much more than a day go by to avoid oxidation of the surface.After resurfacing it and after sizing it.I glue it together with the rope cinching tool.Do all of this with cotton gloves on.I think if it works out that if a person can't get to it right away you can wrap it in saran wrap possibly.You keep sizing it letting it dry between sizings  till it looks like glass when it's dry.Usually at least 3 to 4 times.That can be done in an afternoon.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2013, 06:01:55 am »
I've just read a post on the PP site displaying the trials a fellow had to go through for a successful horn bow.I am humbled here,although in my defense I did do everything according to Jeff Schmidts method and will find out in January whether my curing horn bow is a success or not.I doubt very much whether I will be able to hit a home run my first time at bat.....LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 09:57:59 am »
If you wish to discuss making horn laminations or the progress of these horn bows of mine find me on the PP site.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
It was a ways back there on page 7.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:13 am »
Just giving this great thread a bump... thanks Ed.  You might post a picture of one of those bows now...   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...