Author Topic: "finnished" that yew bow F/D added  (Read 10219 times)

Offline BowSlayer

"finnished" that yew bow F/D added
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »
some of you will remember my thread where i posted that really small really reflexed billit.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42110.0.html
well after working on it i got a very short bow out of it it has a static handle. now i only started working on it because i was challenged to make a bow i could fit insde my quiver in an hour or less. so after looking through my stash of wood i found it and here is how it came out.

there was a knot on the back and when i was reducing the back sapwood i cut through it and now it's showing some heartwood. opps.

the reason it has a static handle is because right in the middle/centre there is a hole staight through the sapwood and into the heartwood where i dug out a knot. so if it was a bendy handle bow it would definatly have broken.

here is a brace pic. sorry about the face i was holding in a sneeze and camera was on timer

now i know this has tones of mistakes and the outer parts look real stiff, they are. but there was alot of reflex in the bow which makes it look worse. i would say that this isn't that bad for an hours work and it also gave me a good idea of how yew bends. there is a F/D pic but lets here some comments first.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:19:16 am by BowSlayer »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

Re: "finnished" that yew bow
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »
Leprechaun bow? ??? ;) ::)  lol!  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:40:26 am »
Haha.  My friend who was watching me make it called it a toothpic
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:51:19 am »
There is a lot to be learned from miniature bows and they can still pack a punch.
It's good to have had a go with some Yew too.... but wheres the shot at full draw :)
Del
(oh yeah, and for pities sake slow down!!!!! ;) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:20 am »
May be of interest to you that digging out that knot and keeping the handle bendy wouldnt necessarily have caused it to break.  I'm sure you've seen bows posted on here with tennis ball sized holes all the way through in a working area. 

Even chopping through that knot shouldnt be a problem, as it's fairly central.  The knot or hole isn't the issue in these cases, it's how you approach the sapwood around them.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:11:56 am »
Glad ya took our advice to stop abusing the keyboard and start abusing some wood,cus your abusing it alright  :laugh:  love it..lol  :laugh:

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:39 am »
an hour? What took you so long?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:50 am »
May be of interest to you that digging out that knot and keeping the handle bendy wouldnt necessarily have caused it to break.  I'm sure you've seen bows posted on here with tennis ball sized holes all the way through in a working area. 

Even chopping through that knot shouldnt be a problem, as it's fairly central.  The knot or hole isn't the issue in these cases, it's how you approach the sapwood around them.

Yeah I thought about it and decided to put a handle there.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:48:54 am »
Glad ya took our advice to stop abusing the keyboard and start abusing some wood,cus your abusing it alright  :laugh:  love it..lol  :laugh:

Yeah I really messed up the tillering on this one but hey you learn with each bow you make. There were alot of knots in the limbs witch worried me.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:13 am »
I really commend you on working on a lot of bows, but it seems that every bow you post starts with phrases like  "it isn't tillered well", etc. start taking your time and slowing way down. You be suprised how going slower can help you build good bows faster.
45# at 27"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:57 am »
and here it is. the F/D pic.

i know there is alot of bending in the fades the mid limbs are stiff due to reflex and the outer limbs could loose a little with i suppose but im running aout of wood the bow is less than 1" wide! but let's here some more comments i think i can take it :o

I really commend you on working on a lot of bows, but it seems that every bow you post starts with phrases like  "it isn't tillered well", etc. start taking your time and slowing way down. You be suprised how going slower can help you build good bows faster.

yeah i know. i need to work on that
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: "finnished" that yew bow F/D added
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:22:26 am »
It's what I call a 'square' tiller, for pretty obvious reasons.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:26:57 am »
If it starts off straight and ends up straight then its not doing at work, free loading wood so it is. Thats unless its a lever or a handle.
Also the less wood you have to work worth the more it needs to share the work.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:29:20 am »
Your left limb needs more bend midway & out......LOL.Your right is bending more evenly than your left.What's it look like after you unbrace it?How long is that full draw?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:16 am »
The only place your little bow is bending is right out of the fades. Get the outer half of those limbs doing some work, including the tips! A short bow like that should bend everywhere. The only reason it's held together is because it's yew.