Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 27717 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »
Well, I was disappointed to see the lack of entries this month too.. I had one I could have entered and didn't, and I feel that it is partially my fault that I didn't enter it...   But here is my take on the situation

I agree and have though for some time now that it is a beauty contest or an art project.  Seems the only way a simple yet well done bow can win is by getting lucky and not entering while a fancy bow is posted.  I have built 162 bows to date and I have won just a few BOM's. The need to win again really isn't there for me anymore. I enjoy entering, and like to be voted on as much as the next guy, but what I consider a great bow has changed from what I thought a great bow was 100 bows ago and also differs from what most people also  consider a great bow.  A great bow to me personally is one that has nice finish work, but not glossy, of respectable hunting weight with an excellent tiller. (having an uneven tiller is an automatic kill for me).  In the last couple years I have personally grown to embrace that less is more and often times my personal hunting bows do not have any tip overlays, the grips are simple and straight and I focus more on having good shape when braced, drawn and unstrung.   I typically dont enter anymore because, while I do make some fancy bows, I really would rather see my simple, elegant bows get voted on, but I know by popular demand that they wont get more than 2-5 votes at most. So I don't "mind" putting them up for voting... if it was done on my behalf like it used to be years ago then I would be ok with that.... I just don't like entering a simple bow knowing very well it wont get voted on.. as then there is a certain amount of failure or embarrassment that I do end up feeling. 

I still go vote when I think about it, but often times I vote for a bow that looks to be well built with great tiller and has had a lot of time invested in the quality of the bow itself rather than time covering in decorations.  I made a couple really good shooting/performing bows this year and entered them because I honestly though they were something special. I invested a lot of work into the bows one way or another but didn't want to take anything away from the overall craftsmanship of the piece by adorning it with furniture grade leather, paints or fancy tips.  I did go out on a limb and put skins on one, but the name of the bow it self implied that it "needed snake skins".. so I added them..   But I still only received a few votes on each of them. I am not sore about it, but I know what I enjoy making isn't going to be featured so entering it in the contest isn't high on my priority list.

This is just my opinion in what I would like to see...   3 catigories...   Backed bows, Hunting bows and Fancy bows
 Backed bows - as it stands

Hunting bows- should be those bow that are built with functionality in mind. Just simple, well shaped, well tillered, hunting weight bows, Artwork is allowed, but the voters should be aware that voting should be based on what merits a good bow, not a pretty one.
    (The one you look at and say, yeah this is the one out of the whole group that I would feel most confident hunting with)

Fancy bows -  Should contain bows that are built with art work as the first priority. Not saying they cant or wouldn't be well built/performing bows, but emphasis on making sure that everything is beautiful and eye appealing. This is where a 35#  bow could stand toe to toe with a 60# bow

The bowyer can decide which category they want their bow listed under.  But like I said, it's what I would "Like" to see.. I am not going to get bent out of shape about it one way or another. I am sure it wouldn't be as cut and dry as that, but it was just my opinion is all.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 03:45:38 pm »
I'm with You Fellers...   ;D

All kidding aside, Coaster and Parnell summed it up best for me.

I have only been on This Bow Building Path for about two and a half years.
Have had my subscription and been a member here on PA for about two years.
I'm only on my 22nd or 23rd shooter at this point with a Mountain's worth of learning ahead of me.
I'm still making mistakes and taking my time sneaking through each build.
But with each bow built, confidence grows and my process becomes more efficient.
As I learn through through you guys and from my own mistakes...

With that said, I like BOM.
I enter when I can, meaning, when I turn out my best bow to date.
But I freely admit to holding back when I feel my bow doesn't stack up.
And that's okay too.

I'll keep building bows.
And I'll enter the bows that I feel merit an entry.
It would be nice to have a BOM, but that's not why I came to PA.
And it's not why I keep coming back...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 03:53:29 pm »
after reading all the posts before and keeping in mind i am so new here the shiny hasnt worn off..and the fact that ive built two bows workin on 3,4,and 5,, i can say that i would agree  with twistedlimbs post the most,,pretty is ok but i like the idea of a category for "utilitarian bows", i just like the simple no frills meat getters the best,, being a novice bow building type,, i wouldnt consider entering a bow for BOM, but might after 20 or more and after getting the sub for PA ,,rules are rules,, dont like em but i try to follow em regardless.. thats all folks!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »
Since it is subscriptions that allow this site to be in existance I like the idea of having a subscription to be able to enter BOM. Without subscriptions PA Magazine would not exist and without PA Magazine this site would not exist. Over the counter magazine sales put very little money in the coffers of PA. It is more like advertising than income producing. Subscriptions and advertising is how PA makes its money and in today's electronic world magazines are all fighting for those dollars.
  I have won BOM 2 times but that was years ago before the good bowyers got involved with PA.  ;D   I'd like to win again because I'm on my last hat and it is getting worn out.  ;)
  BOM is a beauty contest and/or popularity contest! I also think the later in the month you enter the better chance you have for folks to remember the bow and the discussions about it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 05:26:56 pm »
"Since it is subscriptions that allow this site to be in existance I like the idea of having a subscription to be able to enter BOM."

I rarely vote for BOM due to dial-up connection and the time it takes for pics to load, but anyone who thinks the subscription rule is bogus needs to reevaluate where this forum comes from.  I think the idea of subscriptions to vote is a good one too.  I've only made about three bows and only one that shoots and it's got a hinge now so all this does not matter to me that much.  I do like the BOM article in the mag though.  Maybe one day I will have a bow I've made that I think is worthy, if that time comes I won't have any problems entering it, I get the three year subscript and have for close to 7 years now.  Shoot, I just gave a subscript away a couple of months ago.  I think everyone should have one! my 2 cents, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »
I enjoy BOM... I think to date I've only entered one bow, lol. There are some things that could be tweaked tho IMO... I have no problem with having to have a subscription, its the price we pay for havin this great site... I kinda like the idea of having a subscription to vote... Dang... I need to renew, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 06:02:08 pm »
I haven't entered one this month because i haven't finished one this month. Last month i entered for my first time ever because i thought "bow on a hot tin roof" was my first bow worthy of entering and honestly i knew i didn't have a chance because there were no curves, tip overlays, and the pictures weren't good enough. I understand the subscription rule, but the fact is that it isn't a perfect system. It doesn't seem fair that BOWMAN can't enter since he had contributed a lot to the forum and made some great bows, but you can't say its ok for him to enter and not squirrel nutz.

As far the someone saying the magazine had changed, i agree it has, but i think that is a poor reason to drop it. I am not a knapper or into horse archery, but it is all still primitive archery, and still interesting. I have been a subscriber for about 8 years and a few years back bought all the back issues. If anything the newer issues are better since the photos are color and there is better editing in my opinion. The magazine still had a small town feel to it, I've been fortunate to have an article published and there aren't many magazines that take articles from readers.

Just my two cents, PA for life! Bring leftovers to lunch for one week and you've saved enough for a subscription.
45# at 27"

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
When I make a bow that I think is worthy of entering I will then enter the BOM. Until then I simply enjoy looking at all of the other fantastic bows being made and trying to learn from others.
I agree that 2 in each category is not acceptable when all of these great bowyers on here are making bows that aren't entered but you have to realize that this month is an exception to the norm and a lot of folks were preparing for hunting season and BOM was on the back burner.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 06:27:36 pm »
Not trying to start a heated debate between folks here,so just please state your opinion why and no quoting folks and trying to disagree etc etc....I just wanna know some why's and folks honest opinion ...and let's try to keep this civil and positively constructive

I see two entries this month for each category ....sorry to say(n no offense to the entrants) but that's just lame...why? What's wrong with bom? Why don't folks enter there bows? Please answer those questions in your own opinion....

I think the new rule has obviously backfired and isn't working...honestly I didn't like the change back then,and still haven't changed my mind...it has nothing to do with having a subscription or not...there  is just so many other awesome bows out there that get posted that never get entered,and it just doesn't seem like a fair competition,and seeing all the bows that got posted on display...I understand the reasons why they changed the rules,and you don't have to shout any of that propaganda to me...I understand why...

I'd just like to see it the way it was before and a real competition again instead of a select few

When was the last time you entered a bow Boardhawk? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 06:39:20 pm »
Not trying to start a heated debate between folks here,so just please state your opinion why and no quoting folks and trying to disagree etc etc....I just wanna know some why's and folks honest opinion ...and let's try to keep this civil and positively constructive

I see two entries this month for each category ....sorry to say(n no offense to the entrants) but that's just lame...why? What's wrong with bom? Why don't folks enter there bows? Please answer those questions in your own opinion....

I think the new rule has obviously backfired and isn't working...honestly I didn't like the change back then,and still haven't changed my mind...it has nothing to do with having a subscription or not...there  is just so many other awesome bows out there that get posted that never get entered,and it just doesn't seem like a fair competition,and seeing all the bows that got posted on display...I understand the reasons why they changed the rules,and you don't have to shout any of that propaganda to me...I understand why...

I'd just like to see it the way it was before and a real competition again instead of a select few

When was the last time you entered a bow Boardhawk?

Snap!
He only makes 2 per week. Go easy on the laminate lover

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:44:26 pm »
If there was a category for most broken bows of the month I would have entered a probably won with 5 entries, thats how my Sept. bow making went. :-[  Didn't get a one to full draw without an explosion and now it's hunting season so bow building has slowed down for me.
It is disappointing to see so few entries this month  but it is a personal choice for each to decide on his own whether or not to enter. I'd like to see all the months bows entered but don't feel its unfair to require a subscription of the magazine in order to be entered since the mag supports the site. I posted several bows on this site since joining a little over a year ago before I entering a bow for BOM. I've only entered two since then not because I felt other bows were better (they were), but more because I was lucky enough to win one and that was good enough for me. I'd like to encourage everyone to get a subscription, enjoy the magazine, enjoy the site and most of all do not feel intimidated
about entering a bow from time to time. I vote and I like many styles of bows so my vote could go to you and if you don't win no big deal cause mostly it is about building a bow that satisfies you not the rest of us. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »
I dropped my subscription about ten years ago. The magizine changed and started a bunch of Japan and Korea bows. Not interesteted in it anymore. The old mag was a lot better back then.

I noticed this same thing but, I think is has gotten a little better the last couple years.  Back in the late 90's I really didn't make bows but, I read the magazine for the hunting content.

As far as BOM, I hope to make something worthy of entering next year and I will definately enter it.

Offline bubby

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »
first off I enter a lot of bows, although not as much lately had some 2nd and 3rd place bows, but that's not the point I like the concept of BOM, and agree with a few that flash wins over function LOTS of the time, my bows shoot well, and sometimes they are even pretty, but I build a lot of board bows that I know from comments made some guys have a bias against boards, one guy said they just make a quick build and a crappy bow, so I kind of keep the boards to the backed bows entry, and out of the selfy's, a hunting bow entry would be cool, I just look for a well made bow like clints that is in the current issue.
Blackhawk quit whining that you make crappy bows and enter one so ya can win already >:D
I've rambled on enough, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »
WOW  :o took me a while to read this thread...........................just catching up
I haven't competed since my days of bass fishing, I thought it was a competition so I haven't entered. Don't think my stuff is good enough yet.  but for people who isn't competitive maybe if someone else thinks their stuff is good they could nominate them or enter them with approval.
I kinda agree with Pearl, maybe just show bows posted that month and have a separate contest too.
Just one mans opinion
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 07:53:54 pm »
Oh yea.........I kinda agree with OO also..............Chris (Blackhawk) why don't you post more of your bows for BOM.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking