Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38209 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2018, 03:36:34 am »
hello folks..I havent been very active here the last year or so, basically because I'm too busy making money to make bows and when I do its finding the time to post them...however I still follow folks work here with great interest... making bows is my real passion and what I like doing best whenever I have the time...I have mostly worked on developing bamboo backed ipe recurves.... and .if I do say so myself..haha.. I reckon I have the design down...future improvemets will only be very slight...I'm very happy to contribute anything I have learned over the last 30 years of bow making if you're interested and I wish you all the best with your not so crazy idea if i contribute or not. I like physical books...one day internet might not be around and if all info is only on the net then thats not good...books are good

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Badger

« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2018, 05:57:50 am »
hello folks..I havent been very active here the last year or so, basically because I'm too busy making money to make bows and when I do its finding the time to post them...however I still follow folks work here with great interest... making bows is my real passion and what I like doing best whenever I have the time...I have mostly worked on developing bamboo backed ipe recurves.... and .if I do say so myself..haha.. I reckon I have the design down...future improvemets will only be very slight...I'm very happy to contribute anything I have learned over the last 30 years of bow making if you're interested and I wish you all the best with your not so crazy idea if i contribute or not. I like physical books...one day internet might not be around and if all info is only on the net then thats not good...books are good

dave

Recurving ipe can be tricky, that might be a good chapter

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2018, 06:16:56 am »
so is this project still a possibility, the thread started over 4 years ago.  Anybody considered doing it as a downloadable e-book hosted on a blog-site?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:39 am »
Sounds great guys. Look forward to reading it.Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2018, 10:13:36 am »
Was really excited about this post and how fast it developed. It just seemed to grow wings and fly. I didn't look at the dates of the posts. Seemed like a great idea Badger. As said by guy I think we ain't getting any younger. I wish the bowyers from many centuries ago could have shared their tip and troubles. Success and failures. I agree that a lot of the ideas brought up would make good articles for the PA magazine also and have said before I feel there are many truly talented storytellers on this site with many stories that deserve to be told. I enjoy reading those stories and believe they are like a comfortable pair of shoes. They just make you feel good. It's sad that the technology to share bowyers knowledge of the past wasn't there to record and compile. Now we have the technology but for whatever reasons legal or financial much of this information is again in danger of being lost. I urge anyone with a story they would like to share to write it, put it in a word  document file and email it to PA. It is a very simple process and I'd love to read your stories. Thanks for picking up the ball Badger, maybe someone can return the ball jjpso just punted.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:01:28 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TimBo

« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:22 am »
I would be happy to do editing for this.  It sounds like a great idea! 

Offline Badger

« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2018, 11:40:36 am »
   One of the problems I see here is also one of the strong points. There are so many guys here now that have a high level of skill and knowledge I would not even know where to begin when it came to inviting authors to a project like this. I would consider breaking the process down into individual components from harvesting wood, splitting, drying, storing, to processing staves, layout, design, tillering, finish, wood removal methods, tools, etc and then having maybe one guy actually write the book including interviews from various bowyers on all the aspects involved. make it very comprehensive and a serious work that could stand the test of time. I think skill levels have reached that point now where not too much more is going to change.

I am currently working on a 3 part series non archery fiction that is largely inspired by this site. I have been considering doing some interviews of a lot of the different guys we have here.
 " Collaboration",  Fertile Ground" and " Proof of Concept"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:49:21 am by Badger »

Offline willie

« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »
Anybody considered doing it as a downloadable e-book hosted on a blog-site?[/quote
I think Stuck has a good idea about looking into different formats.

another possibility might be a wiki, or some other way to spread out the workload of editing among the different contributors.
a glorified sticky section so to speak. indexing the articles or chapters would be important

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:24 pm »
I would love to see this book (not a blog or a wiki--we already have that here, more or less).  Here is my partial dream-team list of contributors off the top of my head--though I am sure I will miss some.  In no particular order:

Simson -- Hollow limb design, fuming an osage bow

Del the Cat -- English longbows

Weylin -- finishing a bow

Wizardgoat --  PNW yew recurves

Loefflerchuck -- sinew backed juniper bows / native replicas

Marc St. Luis -- any bow he wants to make

Bryce (pinecone)  snakey/character bows

There are dozens of others, I am sure, but this would be a start

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:24 pm »
This is the first time I have seen this post and I love the idea. I have always used this site as kind of a "fact checker". If I'm trying something new I search the site to find out how to do it the right way, not the way I assume might work. I like the idea of many detailed chapters of less well known techniques.

Offline Badger

« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:39 pm »
  I am starting to think a video series might be better than a book.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2018, 11:34:25 pm »
With closed caption or footers, of course?  Some if us don't hear well on a good day :)
Sounds viable, but may be expensive.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2018, 01:08:51 am »
I believe that could work too! Good to see the ideas Rolling again☺
Badger,  when you first had this idea, you were cheking with primitive archer if they were interested in participate in this. What was their answer back then?

Offline Badger

« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:37 am »
I believe that could work too! Good to see the ideas Rolling again☺
Badger,  when you first had this idea, you were cheking with primitive archer if they were interested in participate in this. What was their answer back then?

Honestly I don't remember.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:15 am »
its getting complicated....too many cooks can spoil the broth.....I do wish you all the best with the project...it will be a lot of work and dedication to complete........but you guys can do it...there are plenty of great and knowlegable bowyers on this site......a physical book is best...IMHO
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......