Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38388 times)

Offline TimPotter

Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2013, 07:32:59 am »
This isn't crazy, I think it's a great idea. I still run into people locally who think the last all wood bow-maker was buried about the same time as John Smith. However this wouldn't be the people I'd concern myself with, I'm much more interested in helping those whose minds are already wanting the information. Believe it or not a very large portion of the population has never heard of the Bowyers Bibles, let alone Jay Massey, Tim Baker, Steve Gardner, Jim Hamm or Paul Comstock. I myself only discovered by accident, information on bow making I had been seeking for all my life. I was looking for a book on wood carving at the local library when I happened upon TBBIII. For me that was like finding a treasure chest that I had almost given up believing in. (This was before the internet). Up until then I had only learned a bit from a few old fiction books on the American Indian and Larry Dean Olsen's book "Outdoor Survival Skills" that I bought for $1.00 back in 1978. So with that lack of clear information and the advent of fiberglass bows is it no wonder many have grown up with a loss of faith and connection in a true all wood bow?
           Even now we see new potential archers interested in PVC bows. The primitive bow has a tough row to hoe, but it is not the woods fault. Speaking for myself I tend to be very reclusive and keep out of the limelight, though for years it has been asked of me to leave the comforts of my wood-shavings to do a demo or two for local youth. Maybe it's about time.
           Thanks Steve for a great idea.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:33 am »
I think this is a great idea.  Badger, you have planted the seed in everyone's head and have many excellent bowyers and writers willing to participate.  So, what's the hold-up?  I for one would love to see this come to fruition.  Who needs to be contacted or who's arm needs twisted to get this thing rolling.  This has the potential to be a big seller and I would love to have a first edition (signed of course). :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

blackhawk

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2013, 08:58:59 am »
This feels like a classroom full of kids all raising n waving there hands yelling at the teacher to pick me..pick me...oooo me..oooo me...lol... .everyone wants a slice of the pie,but there's not enough pie to go around....unless your wanting to make the "Bowyers Encyclopedia Series"  :laugh:

Offline Badger

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2013, 10:21:21 am »
  I think the next stage is to simply wait and see what PA says. If PA prefers not to be involved we could do a face book page or something like that for the nominations but PA has so much more traffic I thought it would be a perfect place. Books are not like houses, most people have more than one. Hopefully we can fill a niche. If we get it going I plan to put my energy into the background and not as an author.

I think we should also talk about some of the bad things about doing a book. Editors will be under the gun to make decisions. Feeling sometimes get hurt. People will be pushed to meet deadlines and meet levels of excellence with editors help of course but there will be some pushing. It won't be all fun and good natured games. Ideas and writers will be rejected. Somebody has to have the final say and a book is very limited for space.

I would suggest going in to be aware that it is somewhat of a crapshoot and decisions are not made on a personnal basis. We most certainly will not agree with all the decisions but thats just the way it rolls some times. Look at it like an excersize that will help us grow as bowyers and individuals. It should be a positive experience rather than a negative experience in our lives. If we do a good job on this one more opportunities will open up for a second one with new authors and ideas.

If anyone sees the possibility of this causing a rift in PA memebership I would say take it away from PA even though I believe that would weaken the source of resources which is the membership here.

Offline adb

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2013, 11:02:02 am »
If PA isn't benefiting directly, I can't see them supporting this. But, I suppose that all depends on what you consider support. PA is a business, plain and simple. I can't see them having a problem with accessing the human resource from this forum, but beyond that, I doubt we'll get much direct help. I also don't see this harming PA in any way, but maybe there's side effects I'm not seeing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2013, 11:23:16 am »
   ADB, I agree with you. It would just depend on the part PA decided to play or not. If they published the book for instance, it could also help to increase their circulation as a magaizine.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2013, 11:35:29 am »
Could PA not take a percentage of the sales for their trouble?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Badger

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:24 pm »
  I assume they would handle the profits like any publisher, also the possibility of losses. We just have to wait to hear from them.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »
If the birth, life, and existence of such a work is from PA readers and forum members ( and it is not directly competing against PA) than PA should (I would think) appreciate and extend every courtesy to such an endeavor. I myself being a product of PA mag.
   After reading my first mag from the news stand my tale has been of one totally engulfed in Primitive Archery and its attributes. To the point of building a bow shop at my house. Everything I read and saw from PA that had to do with bow building I had to build.
    This should only further the credibility of PA as the Primitive Archers home. If you have the want or need to build this is the place for you.
    Keep the fire going. Anything to help.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
One thing I would like to hear, is a perspective from someone who has been (or tried) to be a bowyer (or fletcher maybe)  professionally, as a living. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
One thing I would like to hear, is a perspective from someone who has been (or tried) to be a bowyer (or fletcher maybe)  professionally, as a living.

I could write a chapter on Singing String Archery and the absolute PITA that turned out to be.  Going pro is a nightmare.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2013, 03:52:06 pm »

I could write a chapter on Singing String Archery and the absolute PITA that turned out to be.  Going pro is a nightmare.

Not always!

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »
Badger, you're spot on. The publishing of this book has to be a commercial success, and as such the production has to be treated like a business (because it is) and not like a summer camp team building exercise where everyone gets to do everything.

Decisions will be hard, not personal, and with the success of the end product in mind. Anything I write may be rejected. It might sting, but whoever is in charge has to make what they think is the right call.

I think some of the very early tasks will be deciding:

1. Who will drive the project
1.1 - who will then decide what the project will and will not be
2. Deadlines for near, mid and long term benchmarks for success.

Even very valuable contributors will need to be disciplined enough to commit to deadlines and standards, and a willingness to receive feedback.

Do we have any members who are professional editors/publishers who can provide advice or otherwise act in those roles for the sake of the project?
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline Gordon

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
How about book that features a dozen or so bows of different styles built by notable bowyers? A chapter dedicated to each bow/bowyer. Each bow would would be professionally photograhed and the bowyers would simply talk about their chosen bow - why are you drawn to this bow, what are the merits of this particular style and what are the tradeoffs, what is the history of this style, what materials do you use and where do you get them, construction tips - anything the bowyers wants to say about this bow. Included would be something about the bowyer.

Then after the book is published, the bows and a fully autographed book could be auctioned off as a whole and the proceeds donated to a worthy cause.
Gordon

Offline PatM

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Gordon, The book could be auctioned off but I doubt many guys who aren't actually professional builders want the liability hassle which would go with an auctioned off bow. No good deed goes unpunished.